BG high

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am taking 2000mg metformin and 4mg Glimepiride, but for the last year my BG levels are between 14 and 28. The diabetes nurse has just increased my Glimepiride from 1mg to 4 my.
I am eating according to the NHS Healthy Helpings. After being told off by my Diabetes Nurse and Dietitian for eating lchf.
What medication is going to help me lower my BG levels. Or could I be LADA instead of type 2.
Thanks Fi x

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They were in control and in range.
Over the past year I did go lchf for 2weeks but my BG Levels didn't come down very much at all.

Reactions: Freema

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or could I be LADA instead of type 2.

What make you think you might be lada? LADA is type 1 diabetes. Have you had any investigation to determine diabetic status - a GAD test? Have you had a cpeptide test to see if you are making your own insulin? Usually the symptom that tips people off that they have been misdiagnosed type 2 when they are in fact type 1 is dramatic weight loss or not being able to stop losing weight no matter what they eat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking it is eating the NHS recommended diet that has caused this.
As your levels were controlled and in range on LCHF then go back to it. Ignore your nurse, she is wrong. (Not her fault of course, she was just spouting the NHS rubbish way of eating)
The 2 weeks you went back to LCHF in the past year isn't long enough. It is a forever way of eating.
You have 2 choices. Continue eating the way your nurse says and end up on more and more medication, or go back to LCHF and see your levels drop again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @catapillar says.. you should get the test to exclude LADA then if negative go back to low carb properly.
It obviously was working before...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking 2000mg metformin and 4mg Glimepiride, but for the last year my BG levels are between 14 and 28. The diabetes nurse has just increased my Glimepiride from 1mg to 4 my.
I am eating according to the NHS Healthy Helpings. After being told off by my Diabetes Nurse and Dietitian for eating lchf.
What medication is going to help me lower my BG levels. Or could I be LADA instead of type 2.
Thanks Fi x
Hello @Fi2000.

You can always request further tests to ascertain whether you may have LADA.

You might want to have a read through this, it may be of some interest to you as to what T1.5 or LADA actually is:

http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2010/may/the-other-diabetes-lada-or-type-1-5.html

The above however can only really be a factor if you find that after upping exercise, losing excess weight and eating a sensible diet (that IS NOT built around a large carbohydrate content) - that your BG is still out of control.

As you currently stand, your high BG is probably just a result of a inappropriate diet (even though it's endorsed by the NHS) and insulin resistance.