Type 2 Can I take 2 x Metformin without the ok from my Doctor?

john5220

So I was recommended a single 500mg Metformin a day it is NOT the ER just the regular metformin from India those cheap stuff.

It doesn't work all that good I want to take twice this amount can I take 1000mg at the same time? or one 500 twice a day without consulting him? 500MG seems waay too low if you ask me.

He prescribed Gliclazide for me however as we all know that burns out your pancreas in like 10 years time. I read an article a scientist from New Castle University said fat people who get diabetes means fat is blocking the pancreas and liver and that losing 1gram of fat in pancreas and liver will reverse diabetes type 2.

While I try to eat other types of food its just too expensive for me to afford, I have no choice but to rely on things like bread and rice as my main meal its the only real affordable thing so my decision was to eat much less of it and do more exercise

But I feel like taking 1 metformin 500mg a day is a waste of time. Why would be prescribe Gliclazide to me and burn out my pancreas? I only developed diabetes last 8 months. Last year I didn't have diabetes its a recent thing for me. So my pancreas should be operating fine still minus the fat blockage?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you reckon you have a fat blockage?

Are you overweight?

john5220

Do you reckon you have a fat blockage?

Are you overweight?

I am 260 pounds and 5 foot 11 inches so therefore I am 100 pounds overweight and therefore morbid Obese

Maybe I could reverse the type 2 if I lose the weight? if I lost 100 pounds I wonder if my blood sugar would be reduced significantly?

I can't believe this stupid inconsiderate doctor would prescribe Gliclazide to me to burn out my pancreas. If not for the internet I would not even know the dangers of this drug.

What I do believe is 500mg is waaay too low metformin I think I should be taking 1000mg a day atleast. But I am wondering what would happen if I did? that is the question...

The government gives me a pack of metformin free every month and in the pack has 60 capsules so every month I end up having excess 30 that I throw away. Which is sad..

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, if you think he's stupid, why see him?

I'll give you odds on he has suggested you lose weight, and that certainly worked for me.
Lose weight, stop taking the drugs the stupid inconsiderate doctor has prescribed to try to keep you healthy for the time being.

Same sort of numbers by the way, and my doctor certainly wasn't stupid telling me to lose weight before I became diabetic! It's a shame I ignored him, and he had to deal with the consequences for me.

Reactions: sprinky

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I was recommended a single 500mg Metformin a day it is NOT the ER just the regular metformin from India those cheap stuff.

It doesn't work all that good I want to take twice this amount can I take 1000mg at the same time? or one 500 twice a day without consulting him? 500MG seems waay too low if you ask me.

He prescribed Gliclazide for me however as we all know that burns out your pancreas in like 10 years time. I read an article a scientist from New Castle University said fat people who get diabetes means fat is blocking the pancreas and liver and that losing 1gram of fat in pancreas and liver will reverse diabetes type 2.

While I try to eat other types of food its just too expensive for me to afford, I have no choice but to rely on things like bread and rice as my main meal its the only real affordable thing so my decision was to eat much less of it and do more exercise

But I feel like taking 1 metformin 500mg a day is a waste of time. Why would be prescribe Gliclazide to me and burn out my pancreas? I only developed diabetes last 8 months. Last year I didn't have diabetes its a recent thing for me. So my pancreas should be operating fine still minus the fat blockage?
Suphanylaureas are cheap.

john5220

Hi
I am also Morbid Obese and only 18 months into diabetes. I was originally put on 500mg twice per day as my HbA1c was 79.
I lost 3.5 stone and reduced to HbA1c of 36 (last tested in November), but am still classed as 4 stone overweight. I have now been reduced to 500mg ONCE per day. My blood pressure has gone from 172/98 to 89/52 which is the lowest it has ever been.
BUT everyone is different. If you are not happy with what the doctor is prescribing then go back and ask to discuss it. Find out why he has opted for Gliclazide and asked him whether increasing your Metformin is available.

my sugar average reading after I eat is around 200 for post meal I guess this is too high.

The only way I get it around 150 post meal is if I do lots of exercise which IMO I prefer because I do have to rely on bread as my staple food.

john5220

Suphanylaureas are cheap.

I could get it free, that is not the issue infact I get it free every month but I do not take it because it will burn out my pancreas.

I have opted to increase my daily exercise and eat less so I could avoid that dangerous drug.

I have to eat bread I have no choice its the only affordable thing bread and cheese or bread and sardines. So I decided to eat less bread and do more exercise hopefully this will work.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A lifestyle change is solely down to you.

I used to live off bread, but changes have to be made.

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could get it free, that is not the issue infact I get it free every month but I do not take it because it will burn out my pancreas.

I have opted to increase my daily exercise and eat less so I could avoid that dangerous drug.

I have to eat bread I have no choice its the only affordable thing bread and cheese or bread and sardines. So I decided to eat less bread and do more exercise hopefully this will work.
I meant it's cheap for the NHS to prescribe - unless I've misunderstood your circumstances

D

Deleted member 308541

I suppose your Okra crop at your Grandmothers place got ruined with the hurricane that ripped through the West Indies late last year.

Did you follow any of the previous advice in yout other threads about getting cheap food from the shops which they dispose of.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Unless you shift loads of weight you could take as much Metformin you like but it won't make much difference if you have to eat rice and bread. The bottom line is unless you lose the weight you've pretty much got no choice but to take stronger meds on that kind of diet. You could try asking for Januvia rather the Glic. It's still an insulin stimulant but only works when you eat. Better still are the even newer meds that make you pee out the sugar as they aren't insulin stimulators but they are hard to get and if they are prescribed they'll only keep you on them if you do make serious lifestyle changes which they'll monitor.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was on Januvia initially.
It does seem to be a drug that I was pleased to be able to give up.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would suggest, with your previous posts, look at the Newcastle diet as an option.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was on Januvia initially.
It does seem to be a drug that I was pleased to be able to give up.
Hey Douglas long time no speak etc. Last time I was posting you were on it. What was wrong with Januvia if you don't mind me asking.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's not a bad drug.
But, it seems to have some side effects, purely in mice, with oddities on the pancreas.

So, I can't give absolute proof it's not a good drug.
It does indeed work well for the reduction of BG.
It did for me, when I needed it.
But, I tend to go with the flow, and if there is any bad press, I like to hedge my bets and avoid any potential risk.
My HCP agreed, and took me off it when I no longer needed it.
Losing weight is my preferred treatment, solely as it worked for me, and it had a great knock on benefit for my lifestyle.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's not a bad drug.
But, it seems to have some side effects, purely in mice, with oddities on the pancreas.

So, I can't give absolute proof it's not a good drug.
It does indeed work well for the reduction of BG.
It did for me, when I needed it.
But, I tend to go with the flow, and if there is any bad press, I like to hedge my bets and avoid any potential risk.
My HCP agreed, and took me off it when I no longer needed it.
Losing weight is my preferred treatment, solely as it worked for me, and it had a great knock on benefit for my lifestyle.
Agreed it's not one I'd consider either as like you say weight loss is the best long term aim.

Reactions: douglas99

john5220

Alright it seems that I have to give up the bread and rice, so I have no choice but to plant my own food now. What a bummer not being able to eat bread again.....

Wish there was never a thing like diabetes so sad I got this at 30 years old

I have a question what about eating my bread but waiting 1 hour for it to digest and then doing 20 minutes cardio?

I eat like 3 hops in 1 eating we have world class bakery bread here in the Caribbean I get the ones with no preservatives it tastes and smell like heaven.

john5220

The sad thing is my brother isn't even fat and he got diabetes at 32 years old aswell and he is a pretty active fella

Stupid family has terribad genetics, at times like this I understand why Hitler tried to create the master race. Sigh...

john5220

Unless you shift loads of weight you could take as much Metformin you like but it won't make much difference if you have to eat rice and bread. The bottom line is unless you lose the weight you've pretty much got no choice but to take stronger meds on that kind of diet. You could try asking for Januvia rather the Glic. It's still an insulin stimulant but only works when you eat. Better still are the even newer meds that make you pee out the sugar as they aren't insulin stimulators but they are hard to get and if they are prescribed they'll only keep you on them if you do make serious lifestyle changes which they'll monitor.

If I lose the weight though, how does it help control the blood sugar?

I am curious about this.