About insulin pumps

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I am a type 1 diabetic have been found six years, I am a dancer and dance most days I also have an 8 month old baby since being diagnosed my levels have never been great, but when pregnant they were amazing now having my baby I'm slipping back to the way I was I am remembering to take my insulin. But I'm not working out units and testing my sugars is somthing I am not great at.
So I'm asking what are people's opinion about the pump? Will it get in my way with dancing, will it improve my situation I need to do something as now have a little one depending on me but the just look so big and in the way.
Many thanks :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my pump :) I think it's very small and I hardly notice it :)

I wear it for exercise and don't find it a problem.

I know it's hard when you have a young child - in so many ways - but testing is even more important then. Remember that when you make time/effort to look after yourself, it will benefit both of you :)

Have you spoken to your team to see if you'd be eligible for a pump?

Reactions: noblehead

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
Like @azure said, the insulin pump is very small. It's like a very small phone. I wear it most of the time when I am running track. Sometimes, I have to take it off, but only if we are doing a lot of jumping. That is when it might unclip from your pants (or tu tu in dance) so you may have to take it off.

Reactions: noblehead and azure

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you bothe for your response, I have not discussed it with my team yet have an appointment next week, I'm looking online to see what would be best for me but have no idea they all look so big with straps and wires :(
When comes to testing for me it's remembering and finding time I really would like the libre freestyle sensor one as would be so much easier for me but they said I can't have one and there so expensive :( x

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you thomasm88 I am UK based I will have a browse,
Thank you for link jasmine1616 again will have a look.
Anyone no about the kaleido looks like will suit my needs but again I'm not an expert :/ xx

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Thank you bothe for your response, I have not discussed it with my team yet have an appointment next week, I'm looking online to see what would be best for me but have no idea they all look so big with straps and wires :(
When comes to testing for me it's remembering and finding time I really would like the libre freestyle sensor one as would be so much easier for me but they said I can't have one and there so expensive :( x
Sorry for being so blunt, but how can yo forget to test your BG? As its a very basic necessity.

Regards

Martin

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for being so blunt, but how can yo forget to test your BG? As its a very basic necessity.

Regards

Martin
Hi martin
Well when you have a new born baby#babybrain and rushed off your feet in uni and studdying and a job it seems to just sometimes slip my mind so for me it's trying to get in a routine and a way to remember.
Regards
Jemma

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi martin
Well when you have a new born baby#babybrain and rushed off your feet in uni and studdying and a job it seems to just sometimes slip my mind so for me it's trying to get in a routine and a way to remember.
Regards
Jemma
University and babies thats a lot of work and stress but you said you've been type 1 for 6 years i would have thought that regular BG testing to be more habitual by now.

Lecture over you've had enough of those.

Regards

Martin

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
University and babies thats a lot of work and stress but you said you've been type 1 for 6 years i would have thought that regular BG testing to be more habitual by now.

Lecture over you've had enough of those.

Regards

Martin
I would have thought so to by now, but still not out of ideas of what to tbh trying to stay healthy and be on top of it all I have a little one that need me now :(

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would have thought so to by now, but still not out of ideas of what to tbh trying to stay healthy and be on top of it all I have a little one that need me now :(
Yes, your little one is in need of you! So think of testing your BG as part of your baby care routine because if your BG gets too low because your not testing enough or even not eating enough it will create a situation where you may not be able to care for your baby because your too low.
Baby always comes first but in your case being a type 1 you also need to be first. Think of you and the baby as ONE and treat yourself and baby as ONE.

I don't mean to be harsh.

Regards

Martin

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I'm asking what are people's opinion about the pump? Will it get in my way with dancing, will it improve my situation I need to do something as now have a little one depending on me but the just look so big and in the way.

Pumps are a fantastic piece of kit for managing type 1, I've been on one for 2 years next month and wouldn't want to go back to injections, but getting the best out of a pump means you have to test regularly so getting back into the habit of bg testing is a must @jemz24 . Also a prerequisite for moving to a pump is the ability to carb count correctly, some pump clinics insist that the patient has completed a carb counting course such as DAFNE where as others are less strict on this.

As for dancing, I'm sure a pump shouldn't get in the way too much, I use a tubeless pump called the Omnipod and this may be ideal if your concerned about tubing.

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pumps are a fantastic piece of kit for managing type 1, I've been on one for 2 years next month and wouldn't want to go back to injections, but getting the best out of a pump means you have to test regularly so getting back into the habit of bg testing is a must @jemz24 . Also a prerequisite for moving to a pump is the ability to carb count correctly, some pump clinics insist that the patient has completed a carb counting course such as DAFNE where as others are less strict on this.

As for dancing, I'm sure a pump shouldn't get in the way too much, I use a tubeless pump called the Omnipod and this may be ideal if your concerned about tubing.
Thank you noblehead i really appreciate the advice, I have heard some pumps can do BG reading aswell is this true?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you noblehead i really appreciate the advice, I have heard some pumps can do BG reading aswell is this true?

That is true, my pump has a built in bg meter :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oh cool I will look into that one too, are you in uk as I no different states do different meters ect?

Yes UK, someone said the other day that the Omnipod isn't available in Scotland but I don't know how factual that is, but most PCT offer a choice of 3 pumps for their patients to choose from, when you attend your diabetes appointment next week ask your DSN which pumps they make available.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Are you sure you're looking at insulin pumps not scuba diving equipment? ;) Seriously, they're not big at all. I have an Animas Vibe and it's tiny. As said above, it looks like a small phone. I'm petite and have tiny hands and it fits in the palm of my hand no problem.

I forget I'm wearing it :)

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure you're looking at insulin pumps not scuba diving equipment? ;) Seriously, they're not big at all. I have an Animas Vibe and it's tiny. As said above, it looks like a small phone. I'm petite and have tiny hands and it fits in the palm of my hand no problem.

I forget I'm wearing it :)
I must be my friend just got one it's huge she wears with this huge band round her waist with wires and everything jeezzze looks awful.
Are you in uk tho I need to do more research and when I speak to my nurse on Tuesday see what they offer.
Probably scuba gear lol ;)

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swear mine is small : D I usually use the clip on it to just clip it to my belt or waistband. It looks like a little,pager there. The tube tucks in my waist and isn't visible. It doesn't get in my way at all.

Yes, I'm in the UK :)

If you were to get a pump, how you wear it is your choice. Maybe your friend fis happy with the big band - I've almost always used the pump clip. When I wear a dress I usually tuck my pump in a Tubigrip on my thigh. It's totally invisible even with a tight dress on.