Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi everyone , just seen this has been resurrected.
I did the 800 thing for about 4 weeks . I lost about 7lb . The main reason for doing it was to stop my weight going up when I hurt my knee and couldn't exercise . For me it was a success for the 4 weeks.
I have put the 7lb back on over the year though .
I'm trying the no added / no confectionary diet type thing now and back to watching carbs . I need to try different things because I get bored , doing different diets / challenges works for me .

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to try this but no way can you have coffee on this diet if you type 2.You don't want to start boosting insulin.etc
I still have a fair amount of stomach fat even after 25/30 kg

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought about water based exercise but was warned off it by my GP as they over chlorine my local pool and he's not sure what the reaction would be on my psoriasis.

Anyway - I'm now on day 8; I worked it out that if I do the full 8 week thing my last day will be on Boxing Day. So being a realist I've decided to finish on the day before Christmas Eve and then do three extra days on the 28th, 29th and 30th December.

So far my BGs have come down in to the 4s and 5s except for first thing in the morning when they are in the mid 6s - and I've lost 5lbs! :happy:

Is there anyone else out there doing this at the moment??
Going to start soon maybe not a low as 800 calories.Will make sure I get enough protein

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to try this but no way can you have coffee on this diet if you type 2.You don't want to start boosting insulin.etc
I still have a fair amount of stomach fat even after 25/30 kg
How does drinking coffee affect your insulin levels. Is it due to the milk content?

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How does drinking coffee affect your insulin levels. Is it due to the milk content?
Bluejeans98
Hope this answeres your question

NaturalNews) Conventional wisdom about weight loss suggests coffee may be a good addition to a diet plan since it has minimal calories and no fat. While this seems logical, a more holistic view evaluates coffee from the perspective of its influence on the body's ability to metabolize the other food we eat. Recent studies suggest that despite its low calorie count, coffee may actually promote weight gain as well as type 2 diabetes by stimulating cortisol production and insulin resistance.

Caffeine stimulates cortisol production

One of the roles of cortisol, known as the stress hormone, is to help facilitate the fight or flight mechanism designed to save us from physical threat. When the body is stressed, cortisol's job is to up blood pressure and speed carbohydrate and fat metabolism, increasing the amount of blood sugar in the system to feed muscles and cells so they can function more effectively when stressed. Cortisol also promotes the release of insulin necessary to facilitate movement of glucose into the cells.

This cortisol-induced demand for blood sugar causes us to feel hungry, encouraging us to eat more despite our best intentions. Of course this situation is exacerbated if we drink more coffee when we are also under stress. If our response to the increased cortisol were physical, like running away from a perceived threat or choosing instead to fight, we might burn off the extra fuel. However, in today's world since most stress is mental or emotional and rarely due to actual physical threat, weight gain is a likely result. In addition, faced with consistently elevated insulin levels, our cells will tend to become resistant to its effect making them less able to utilize our now elevated levels of blood sugar. This insulin resistance condition is often followed by a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes.

Regular coffee drinking may increase tolerance to cortisol response

While caffeine prompts cortisol production, a 2005 study published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine found that regular coffee drinking increases our tolerance, blunting this effect somewhat. Subjects in this study who were given caffeine after a five-day fast showed cortisol spikes in the morning; an effect which diminished after several days of regular exposure. However, researchers also found that when subjects were exposed to caffeine continuously throughout the day, cortisol levels began to rise again in the afternoon. Further results also showed that study participants prone to high blood pressure reacted more strongly to the caffeine than did others and produced more cortisol.

This means for people who sip coffee throughout the day, there is a good chance their body will respond by eventually producing more cortisol encouraging weight gain and/or the development of type 2 diabetes, especially those who are hypertensive. On the other hand, for those who limit their intake of coffee to one or two cups first thing in the morning their cortisol response may be less serious.

Cortisol promotes fat storage

According to Shawn Talbott, PhD, author of The Cortisol Connection, another one of cortisol's roles is to encourage our bodies to store fat; a process that is helped along by higher levels of insulin. Unfortunately, this particular fat often gets located in the abdominal area causing a condition that may be associated not only with diabetes but also with heart disease, high cholesterol and hypertension.

For all of these reasons, in spite of its minimal calories, drinking coffee may not be a good decision for anyone who's goal is to lose weight.

Sources for this article include:

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034674_coffee_cortisol_weight_gain.html#ixzz4XBU7JrZx

Last edited:

DaveXF

You really must chill out.I'm under the knife in May having my C6 vertebrae lobbed ( due to paralysis in my right arm...the direct result of being in a non fault RTA in 2014. )The point I was making, albeit clumsily as you are quite sensitive and is now fully understandable, so pls forgive me for my blunt approach, is that I know of no one who didn't enjoy the eating in the first place....perhaps not 5 mins later but that's another discussion. I TOTALLY sympathise with your condition BUT.. And forgive me.. you are not an idiot and fully understand that if your calorie output drops ( due to inactivity) then you must drop your calorie input, or weight is gained. The accident was NOT the cause of the weight gain ( I put a stone on but that was MY fault, as I didn't adjust my eating but I was already overweight) but inactivity, depression etc may well have been.

...note to self.

Never have an op' like that again.
Two years on and the muscles are still as tight as a drum.