Only metformin?

Carol3120

Hi, I was wondering if anyone who takes metformin is taking other diabetes meds with it. I'm on 500mg extended release but my sugars aren't going down too much. Does metformin work well by itself or do you need to take something else with it? I've been taking it for 3 weeks. Maybe it needs more time? Thanks.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Carol3120 Diabetes is really about what you eat, Metformin will not help you in that regard. Tell us what you eat, perhaps you are having too many carbs.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who takes metformin is taking other diabetes meds with it. I'm on 500mg extended release but my sugars aren't going down too much. Does metformin work well by itself or do you need to take something else with it? I've been taking it for 3 weeks. Maybe it needs more time? Thanks.

Hi Carol, It can take a few weeks for it to work but generally speaking from what I've gleaned the dose you are on will not dramatically cut your blood sugars. I'm on the same dose and after 3 months mine went up slightly, I've cut out a lot of carbs which has probably helped along with the metformin to stop any larger increase. My advice to you is to look at helping the drug through your diet which should either start lowering your levels or at least like me it will address any larger increase.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet is the first and main step. Metformin should be seen as a potential help for those who can tolerate it, as a minor reducer of blood sugar level and for some a reducer of appetite.

Carol3120

@Carol3120 Diabetes is really about what you eat, Metformin will not help you in that regard. Tell us what you eat, perhaps you are having too many carbs.
Hi, my carbs are between 35-50 per day. Trying to follow LCHF. I've also dropped a few pounds since starting metformin. My concern is the morning sugars which are over 200. Even if I eat my eggs and bacon for breakfast, my sugar continues to rise so that at lunchtime it's around 250. I'm going to try to add a small dose of Prandin with breakfast & see of that helps. Thanks for your reply.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Metformin didn't agree with me.. I did try for 11 weeks and my HbA1c went up to 50. It made me feel ill too so I stopped taking it. I'm now back down to 48 on LCHF diet alone.
Have you been told to moderate your diet and cut out carbs and sugar ? NHS tend not to tell us.. this but most people on here find that is what works best for them.
Do you have a meter ? Essential in finding out what spikes you personally.. we are all a little different.

Carol3120

Hi Carol, It can take a few weeks for it to work but generally speaking from what I've gleaned the dose you are on will not dramatically cut your blood sugars. I'm on the same dose and after 3 months mine went up slightly, I've cut out a lot of carbs which has probably helped along with the metformin to stop any larger increase. My advice to you is to look at helping the drug through your diet which should either start lowering your levels or at least like me it will address any larger increase.
Thanks. That helps me!

Carol3120

Metformin didn't agree with me.. I did try for 11 weeks and my HbA1c went up to 50. It made me feel ill too so I stopped taking it. I'm now back down to 48 on LCHF diet alone.
Have you been told to moderate your diet and cut out carbs and sugar ? NHS tend not to tell us.. this but most people on here find that is what works best for them.
Do you have a meter ? Essential in finding out what spikes you personally.. we are all a little different.
I'm tolerating the extended release metformin. As for diet, I've started LCHF which is totally against my docs advice of 45g carbs at each meal plus 2 snacks of 15g each. I'm definitely using my meter to track the ups and downs. Thanks for your reply.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Metformin only helps to a very limited extent. It certainly doesn't work post meal to reduce glucose spikes. It is mainly an appetite suppressant and helps a little with insulin resistance and by reducing the amount of glucose produced naturally by the liver. All this is marginal. Diet is the key.

Reactions: Carol3120

Pramod85

Type of diabetes
Doctor
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Metformin causes weight loss so its good for obese people.
Metformin causes ovulation induction. So sexually active young should be cautious by using barrier methods.