Hypo warning

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1c was 51 (6.8%) today, which I am pleased with but my Nurse (not a DSN) said this may be at the expense of a slightly higher level of hypos (below 4mmol 2-3 times per week). This is worrying because I had two stents in my coronary arteries last August and apparently low blood glucose (hypoglycemia) can cause irregular heart rythmns and lead to heart attacks.

At the moment I use a ratio of 2units Novorapid to 10g carb which works most of the time. Occasionally I go low about 3 hours post injection. The nurse suggested I reduce my Novorapid to 1 unit per 10g carb and see how my readings go. She said I should be adjusting my Lantus to get better readings instead of using higher bolus insulin. I thought my Lantus was OK at 26 units at bedtime as there is little change in my readings from bedtime to pre-breakfast, typically between 6 and 9 mmol pre-pbreakfast. She said adjusting my basal upwards might give me better daytime control while keeping my bolus at 1 to 10 as above.

Anybody else had similar feedback from their DSN?

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I did the DAFNE course a couple of years ago to help control my BG using the carb counting method. I believe it has helped me to stabilise my readings and given me the knowledge needed to adjust your insulin intake to suit your carb intake. The course also provides information on how to adapt your ratios, eg you may need a ratio of 1:10 in the mornings but may need to increase the ratio to 1.5 or 2:10 at other times, obviously depending on your life style, or how much exercise you take, shopping, housework, walking etc all these affect how your body reacts. I would ask your diabetic nurse/ doctor about the course. It is free though you would need to commit to five days full time attendance. I found it invaluable and lead a much fuller and better life because of it. Ok I do have an odd blip, but it is usually self inflicted eg if I fail to take the medication for one reason or the other. I don't know if this helps but please look it up and see if you could benefit from the extra knowledge.

Reactions: birchy66

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I did the DAFNE course a couple of years ago to help control my BG using the carb counting method. I believe it has helped me to stabilise my readings and given me the knowledge needed to adjust your insulin intake to suit your carb intake. The course also provides information on how to adapt your ratios, eg you may need a ratio of 1:10 in the mornings but may need to increase the ratio to 1.5 or 2:10 at other times, obviously depending on your life style, or how much exercise you take, shopping, housework, walking etc all these affect how your body reacts. I would ask your diabetic nurse/ doctor about the course. It is free though you would need to commit to five days full time attendance. I found it invaluable and lead a much fuller and better life because of it. Ok I do have an odd blip, but it is usually self inflicted eg if I fail to take the medication for one reason or the other. I don't know if this helps but please look it up and see if you could benefit from the extra knowledge.
Thanks Clifft. I thought I was doing pretty well but maybe the DAFNE course would be a good idea.