Statins and type 1

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear a mix of reviews. On my DAFNE course eleven years ago now (!) I was told I should be on statins despite 'good' cholesterol levels and only being 26. After further info from my consultant, I was told I should go on them asap after I'd decided I'd have no more children - as it is not known if safe when pregnant. I have an appointment next week where I was going to ask to go on them but after reading of so many side effects I'm not sure now!

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear a mix of reviews. On my DAFNE course eleven years ago now (!) I was told I should be on statins despite 'good' cholesterol levels and only being 26. After further info from my consultant, I was told I should go on them asap after I'd decided I'd have no more children - as it is not known if safe when pregnant. I have an appointment next week where I was going to ask to go on them but after reading of so many side effects I'm not sure now!
Ps they also said beta blockers too and maybe something else?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I must admit that i now have pain and weakness in both arms with certain movements of them. I'm going to speak with my nurse/ GP when i next see them before i stop taking statins.

Regards

Martin

Mrs of type 1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE
Hubby has been on the Statins for around 3 weeks now. He hasn't noticed any difference in how he is feeling, his pain levels are no worse than usual. Still early days though. Thanks for all your advice.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wheat, flour, rice, porridge etc
My husband has just had his 6 monthly check up at the diabetic clinic. The consultant was very pleased with his HBA 1C that is 6.4. My husband has normal blood pressure and quite low cholesterol, yet the consultant wants my husband to start taking a low dose of statins as he is 53 years old. Has anyone else got experience of taking them? I am concerned about body pain as my husband already has fibromyalgia and neuropathy which causes him chronic pain and fatigue.

Hi,
My GP diagnosed me with Type 2 in January 2014 even though my blood glucose reading taken the previous day was only 8.5 Mmol/L ?

He also prescribed Statins (Simvastatin) even though my cholesterol was never checked by him or the practice.

After some thought/research, and having taken the Statins for about a week I arranged to see my GP and told him I was unhappy with my treatment and was going to stop taking the Statins.

He informed me that if I took that course of action he could not be responsible for me?

I stopped the Statins, bought a cheap blood glucose monitor, ("Codefree about £12, and test strips about 7 pence each), and within a few weeks identified the items of food and drink that significantly affected my blood sugar levels.

Within 4 weeks I had brought my glucose levels down to an average of about 5Mmol/L, ascertained that my actual cholesterol level was 3.6, and have never had a problem since.

I also adopted a Ketogonic Diet (LCHF) diet which I have continued with over the last three years, and which I feel very happy about.

I don't think my GP was very happy when his practice had to remove me from their "diabetic registry", in 2015 after I had attended two diabetic clinics?

This may well not work for others but certainly sorted my health problems out.

I am in my 70's and have never felt so well.

Reactions: Eurobuff

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on 40mg simvastatin for a couple of years now with no side effects. It has brought my cholesterol levels down to just below 4.0 as planned and recommended for type 1's.
So it's not all bad news for statins.

That's interesting, initially my mother was on 20mg of Simvastatin and blood sugar under control, taking it for 10 years, she did have aches and pains though. The DN changed her to Atorvastatin, since then her hba1c has been steadily increasing, last one 68. The DN is adamant that statins don't affect blood sugar. She's getting current readings of 11-13 2 hours after meals. Her levels are 8 on waking. She's not eating a massive amount of carbs (about 20 grams per meal, or 30grams maybe the odd time). She's type 2 taking gliclazide to control it. 160grams in the morning, 160 grams in the evening. She is only taking 10mg of Atorvastatin, her cholesterol is 3.9. They've put her on a statin because she also has high blood pressure controlled by attenalol.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on statins for three months I had difficulty going to the toilet and my hba1c jumped from 45 to 56 with no increase in my weight. I am type 2. Back off the statins and waiting to see if it improves. My spot checks appear to be improving since stopping.

Can I ask the name of the statin you are taking?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any younger-ish Type 1s on statins? With no side effects? Surely (hopefully?) there must be better brands than others? What types?

Ive been prescribed them today. 28 years Type 1, age 37. Always low blood pressure. cholesterol results worst they've ever been: 4.7, ldl 2.7, hdl 1.8, total cholesterol -hdl ratio 2.6. All within national 'normal' results but out for diabetic results, (type 1 results? Not sure if for both types?) we need to be less than 4.0.

Really want to minimise risks and follow advice from my fantastic doctors but having had Type 1 28 years, I've seen medical advice change so much and I'm anxious with all the bad press. I'll give it a go but I'm bumping this post in hope of hearing more reviews and having more information or tips going forward.
Thank you

D

Deleted Account

I am not on statins. However, they were offered to me. Not because I have cholesterol problems but because I am over 40 and have type 1 diabetes. Apparently, that is the general recommendation.
It was explained to me that this is based on research and trials done with "unfit" people and shown to reduce the chance of heart problems. There have been no trials for active people with type 1 diabetes.
Being a regular gym-goer with a healthy BMI, I decided I against taking extra medication for which there had been no appropriate testing.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any younger-ish Type 1s on statins? With no side effects? Surely (hopefully?) there must be better brands than others? What types?

Ive been prescribed them today. 28 years Type 1, age 37. Always low blood pressure. cholesterol results worst they've ever been: 4.7, ldl 2.7, hdl 1.8, total cholesterol -hdl ratio 2.6. All within national 'normal' results but out for diabetic results, (type 1 results? Not sure if for both types?) we need to be less than 4.0.

Really want to minimise risks and follow advice from my fantastic doctors but having had Type 1 28 years, I've seen medical advice change so much and I'm anxious with all the bad press. I'll give it a go but I'm bumping this post in hope of hearing more reviews and having more information or tips going forward.
Thank you

My mother was on Simvastatin which gave her aches and pains, next door neighbour was Also on them but had to switch as he ended up with liver damage. My mother was switched to Atorvastatin but it's increasing her blood sugar

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am not on statins. However, they were offered to me. Not because I have cholesterol problems but because I am over 40 and have type 1 diabetes. Apparently, that is the general recommendation.
It was explained to me that this is based on research and trials done with "unfit" people and shown to reduce the chance of heart problems. There have been no trials for active people with type 1 diabetes.
Being a regular gym-goer with a healthy BMI, I decided I against taking extra medication for which there had been no appropriate testing.

Thank you - that's very useful. I wish I could have access to the research myself and that my doctor/s mentioned this to me.