Blood meter reading discrepancies

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

This is my first post here since being diagnosed T1 about a month ago.

Essentially, I have 2 meters for reading blood glucose at the moment: the Glucomen LX2 and the Freestyle Libre (which uses the same strips as the Freestyle Optium).

I have read around and am aware that there will be differences between different meters but I am getting consistently higher results on the Glucomen (often 1.5 to 2 mmol higher) that make managing lows quite difficult. i.e. a reading of 3 and I would take action but 5 and I would be content.

I have tried the Freestyle Libre sensor which correlates more towards the Freestyle blood readings (i.e. the lower results). I have also recently inserted a Dexcom G5 which correlates more with the higher (Glucomen) readings, but since I am using that meter to calibrate it, that probably makes sense.

Does anyone know if Glucomen LX2 is known for giving high readings and I should try to change my prescription and get strips for a different meter? If so, is anyone able to recommend any which are known to give at least generally accurate results?

Thanks

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can add a little information but not about the Glucomen. I have tested a few meters against known control solutions. One of them I use is the Abbott solution which is an 0.05% Dextrose solution which should give a reading of 2.8. The Freedom Freestyle Lite has always given a reading of 2.8 which no other meter has. The others always read higher except for one classic instance that needs a recheck.

I now use the Freestyle Lite as my gold standard when comparing meters

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

This is my first post here since being diagnosed T1 about a month ago.

Does anyone know if Glucomen LX2 is known for giving high readings and I should try to change my prescription and get strips for a different meter? If so, is anyone able to recommend any which are known to give at least generally accurate results?

Thanks

They must all conform to the same standard..
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Edited:-
My Glucomen LX tends to read lower than my One Touch Ultra Easy. I stuck with the Glucomen because it is therefore safer for driving. It also broadly reflects my A1C results so it's close enough.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Glucomen LX PLUS meter always reads slightly higher than my Dario meter.

I wouldn't go changing your prescription just because one meter tends to read slightly higher than the other. I'd change your prescription only if you PREFER an alternative meter.

What's most important about BG testing is really the trends, providing that the meter you choose to use complies with the latest ISO standards - then there's really no need to switch.

FYI since I changed from my "slightly higher reading" Glucomen LX Plus to the Dario meter, I have seen no increase or decrease in HbA1c that can be attributed to changing meters. Oh and something worth thinking about is whether the Glucomen meter reads high, or whether the Dario meter reads low:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and something worth thinking about is whether the Glucomen meter reads high, or whether the Dario meter reads low:)

Precisely! We all like to think a higher reading meter is wrong and go with what the lower reading meter says because the higher one can't possibly be right. ;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Winterwatch . Welcome to the forum. Can't really advise what meter you should be using and as you are finding out meters and there readings can vary a lot.
Personally I've always used Freestyle Optium xceed and have just upgraded to Optium Neo. I only use one type of meter and I know how the readings relate to me and my sugar levels.
I wouldn't use 2 different meters for testing I would stick with just one and get used to how I feel with the results it gives me.
Good luck going forward, you have a lot to learn and we are all here to help you.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Precisely! We all like to think a higher reading meter is wrong and go with what the lower reading meter says because the higher one can't possibly be right. ;)
I've drawn a "5" with permanent marker on the front of my old Glucomen meter - my BG has never been so good:D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've drawn a "5" with permanent marker on the front of my old Glucomen meter - my BG has never been so good:D

I find the same with my Accu Chek Mobile. Very flattering readings that make me feel good. :)

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies.

I agree that I need to find a meter that works for me and stick with it. Bluetit1802, I really do not mind which of the meters is correct (I only lean towards the Glucomen reading too high because my Libre sensor more closely matches the lower readings).

The issue I have is that the numbers from the two meters are so consistently different that they cannot both be accurate. They are not one off readings and the Glucomen more often than not gives readings that are about 1.5 mmol higher (for example, am I currently 5.2 or 3.8?). Urbanracer, as you say, the meter reading lower is probably safer to avoid hypos but ideally I wouldn't have to act on lower readings if I could work out which of the two provides the better readings. Perhaps an option would be to try a third meter and see where it lies because at the moment I am not comfortable relying on one or the other when they are so far apart.

Anyhow, I am going in circles a bit now :) Thanks again for all your welcoming posts.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People have sought advice on meters many times on the forum and mostly the advice is very sound and boils down to the fact that seeking accuracy is a quest that will drive you mad or cost you a lot.

The only serious point I would like to make is that it's a very good idea to know whether or not you have a high reading meter because if you are going hypo you really don't need your meter to tell you that you're not.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks for your replies.

I agree that I need to find a meter that works for me and stick with it. Bluetit1802, I really do not mind which of the meters is correct (I only lean towards the Glucomen reading too high because my Libre sensor more closely matches the lower readings).

The issue I have is that the numbers from the two meters are so consistently different that they cannot both be accurate. They are not one off readings and the Glucomen more often than not gives readings that are about 1.5 mmol higher (for example, am I currently 5.2 or 3.8?). Urbanracer, as you say, the meter reading lower is probably safer to avoid hypos but ideally I wouldn't have to act on lower readings if I could work out which of the two provides the better readings. Perhaps an option would be to try a third meter and see where it lies because at the moment I am not comfortable relying on one or the other when they are so far apart.

Anyhow, I am going in circles a bit now :) Thanks again for all your welcoming posts.

@Winterwatch , please read the link that I gave you - if your true glucose levels were around 4.5mmol, then both meters can be correct within permissible limits and give results from 3.8 to 5.2. We are not using laboratory standard equipment here, unfortunately.

Furthermore I'd ask how you're comparing the meters, If you take 2 readings with same drop of blood using just 1 meter it can yield different results. And your blood is not completely homogenous so if you're swapping fingers or hands then your results will be even further out.

Reactions: catapillar

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next time you get lab work, if your glucose level or A1c is being checked, you can always check your glucose level with both meters at the time of the blood draw, then compare. I have two meters that average a full 10 point difference in mg/dl. As others suggested here, using only one of the meters solved the problem.

Reactions: Bluetit1802