Opsite Flexifix - how much do you pay?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My consultant approved the hospital prescribing an Opsite dressing from Medtronic, as I developed an allergy to the tape that comes with my cgm sensors. Unfortunately the non-medic manager hasn't ok'd this. I tried Microporous tape which was fine for several months but then I developed a rash around the edges of the tape.

I decided to look for Opsite Flexifix tape online and got some before Christmas. I don't know what was worse, paying £12.99 for the tape or having to pay over £4 postage and packing!

Does anyone who uses Opsite Flexifix get it at a decent price?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cavalon make a spray or swab wipe that I use under tape or plasters to stop the irritation and reaction to the sticky stuff.....

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cavalon was the first thing I tried but unfortunately it didn't help.

D

Deleted member 308541

I don't know what was worse, paying £12.99 for the tape or having to pay over £4 postage and packing!
That is roughly the same price you would have to pay for the tape here in Australia.

It's around the $15.00 mark for a 1 metre roll at most of the major pharmacies.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is, I can't get it from the pharmacy and I resent having to pay almost half again on postage.

D

Deleted member 308541

The problem is, I can't get it from the pharmacy and I resent having to pay almost half again on postage.
The pharmacy I go to orders dressings etc. in if they do not have any in stock.

Freight is always a killer the min overnight airfreight is $10.00 here.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pharmacies I've tried seem to have the attitude that if they don't stock it, they don't order it.

iHs

I haven't bought Opsite for a while as I thought that it was a lot of money for a cardboard roll and unless covering my transmitter and sensor completely, was complicated separating the backing sheet from the film. I reverted to using Tegaderm 6x7 cm patches and they are very easy to use. I use ebay and get 10 for 4.40 Inc postage.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here's an update folks.

I decided to ask my GP if Opsite Flexifix can be prescribed. I explained what it was for and the price I'd had to pay. I was astounded when she told me it CAN be prescribed and it is now on my repeat prescription list. She told me it costs the NHS £6 and asked how long a roll would last me. When I said it would last months, she said that was no problem and offered to put 2 on my repeat list. I told her one would do!

I took the prescription to Boots, thinking they wouldn't have any, as I had asked Lloyd's earlier this week and they said they didn't have any and couldn't find out anything about it. However, there was no problem at Boots. They had to order it but said it would be in tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

@iHs the roll of Flexifix doesn't have a cardboard roll, just a cardboard box!
I find the tape is really easy to use and hope that my skin doesn't start reacting to it in the months to come.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

iHs

Here's an update folks.

I decided to ask my GP if Opsite Flexifix can be prescribed. I explained what it was for and the price I'd had to pay. I was astounded when she told me it CAN be prescribed and it is now on my repeat prescription list. She told me it costs the NHS £6 and asked how long a roll would last me. When I said it would last months, she said that was no problem and offered to put 2 on my repeat list. I told her one would do!

I took the prescription to Boots, thinking they wouldn't have any, as I had asked Lloyd's earlier this week and they said they didn't have any and couldn't find out anything about it. However, there was no problem at Boots. They had to order it but said it would be in tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

@iHs the roll of Flexifix doesn't have a cardboard roll, just a cardboard box!
I find the tape is really easy to use and hope that my skin doesn't start reacting to it in the months to come.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I haven't bought any Opsite for over a year but when I did, the film was wrapped around a tube