Good News

Burg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got results last week of my latest hba1c.Four months on from initial reading of 76 I tested at 38.I guess I am now in remission.

I am so grateful for this forum as it gave me the confidence and knowledge to tackle this without medication.

I won't pretend it's been easy.I have been strict with my diet,and have great support from family.

I haven't counted carbs,just eliminated the usual suspects and been very careful with everything I eat.Have even sat with family at a cafe with only a glass of water for lunch because the menu didn't suit carb wise.

I have averaged about 50 km a week walking,always pushing to go quicker.Exercise seems to have a significant effect on bg.

Weight loss currently 23 kgs,and BMI 22.Starting was 28. Even managed 2 kg weight loss over Xmas/new year/holiday fortnitght.

Alcohol is off the menu completely.That has been easy as I haven't been much of a drinker for many years.

Next clothing purchase will be belts

I know I am lucky in that I had no obvious symptoms or complications. I feel for those who are restricted in how they can respond to their diabetes.I know this must be much harder.

This may only the start of the journey. but it's a great start.Have to get through the Easter egg and hot cross buns period next.

Anyway many thanks to all on this forum

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Well done - keep it up.

Reactions: AM1874
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's cheered my day up. A model patient with ideal results.

EDIT: I didn't buy belts, I bought braces. The trousers last longer like that.

Reactions: Prem51

JRF

Got results last week of my latest hba1c.Four months on from initial reading of 76 I tested at 38.I guess I am now in remission.

I am so grateful for this forum as it gave me the confidence and knowledge to tackle this without medication.

I won't pretend it's been easy.I have been strict with my diet,and have great support from family.

I haven't counted carbs,just eliminated the usual suspects and been very careful with everything I eat.Have even sat with family at a cafe with only a glass of water for lunch because the menu didn't suit carb wise.

I have averaged about 50 km a week walking,always pushing to go quicker.Exercise seems to have a significant effect on bg.

Weight loss currently 23 kgs,and BMI 22.Starting was 28. Even managed 2 kg weight loss over Xmas/new year/holiday fortnitght.

Alcohol is off the menu completely.That has been easy as I haven't been much of a drinker for many years.

Next clothing purchase will be belts

I know I am lucky in that I had no obvious symptoms or complications. I feel for those who are restricted in how they can respond to their diabetes.I know this must be much harder.

This may only the start of the journey. but it's a great start.Have to get through the Easter egg and hot cross buns period next.

Anyway many thanks to all on this forum
Well done you, keep up the good work.
Jean

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superb results in such a short time; isn't it wonderful when all your hard work shows up so well. :)

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. That is a great reward for all your effort.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great result.. massive well done, It's so good when you see your dedication paying off :)
Were your health team interested in how you've achieved this brilliant Hba1c reading ?

Reactions: Sibyl and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great reductions in HbA1c and weight in only four months, well done @Burg! :)

Burg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My health team has been largely invisible.They failed to notify me in 2014 when my hba1c reached 50.The first time diabetes was mentioned was October 2016 when it was 76.I waited over two weeks for this latest result,and had to contact them to get it.

This latest test was the the second within a month as the first was a lipid only one with no hba1c done.

I said right from the start that I would be doing low carb and wasn't interested in medication.I don't know what their approach would have been.

My wife had a blood test about 10 days after mine and was notified of the results within 2 days.It was part of a standard health check and her results were fine.She has a different doctor from a different surgery.

I am looking at changing doctors but few have room for new patients in this area.

So I am pretty much on my own.I do have good family support and have relied heavily on this forum and the different areas it has lead me to.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fantastic results you have achieved - so important that newly diagnosed readers can see results like this - really inspirational - I have also accepted that HCP's are just not interested in understanding how people are achieving these incredible turnarounds - well done you !