Suggestion for the pub cook

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I was at my favourite pub and was talking with one of the bartenders, he said to me that they are going to change the menu. I explained that I was diabetic so for instance fried chips aren't the best choiche for me and so white bread, bettere wholegrain.
Seemed interesed on suggestion.

So because here is full of people from England, Wales, Scotland and even Ireland and someone should know how is a good pub, are there some reciipes for a pub that are diabetes friendly to suggest that are typical of a real pub?

Reactions: AM1874

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Yesterday I was at my favourite pub and was talking with one of the bartenders, he said to me that they are going to change the menu. I explained that I was diabetic so for instance fried chips aren't the best choiche for me and so white bread, bettere wholegrain.
Seemed interesed on suggestion.

So because here is full of people from England, Wales, Scotland and even Ireland and someone should know how is a good pub, are there some reciipes for a pub that are diabetes friendly to suggest that are typical of a real pub?
Hi @MikeTurin
Real bonus that you have found somebody interested in a menu for diabetics .. I hope that your suggestions are taken up but I would suggest that the god "Profit" might have some influence on the final decision ..

I have found a number of carb friendly options within a typical pub menu - eg ..

# breakfast (without hash-browns or beans)
# ham and eggs
# gammon (with fried eggs not pineapple)
# baked salmon (or other fish
# steak
etc, etc

EDIT - I forget to include ..

# burgers
# grilled chicken breast
(bin the bun with both of these0

It goes without saying that all these meals should be with salad rather than chips plus (for me) no bread, no beer and no puds

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The all-day breakfast is always a winner, because most people know what they're going to get. If there are hash browns, it's up the the customer whether they eat them or not. Eggs Benedict, and the muffin can be left behind. Steak sandwich, with a fried egg option, then the bread can be ignored.

To be honest, I don't think there is usually much need to make anything fully LC friendly. If a dish usually has a bun with it, then I can leave that behind without being offended by its presence.

I've never, ever gone into a bar, bistro or restaurant and found there was absolutely nothing for me to eat. The closest are probably Costa/Starbucks, but if I were starving, I'd have a sandwich and leave the bread behind.

@MikeTurin - Is the issue for day time or evenings, as menu structures could be very different.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like menus where things are listed as:

All main courses come with either chips, baked potato or new potatoes AND either salad or steamed veg. Please tell the staff your preference when you order.

It means there is no need for explanations, or queries, which wastes my time and the staff member's time. I just order what I want and choose the veg or salad option.

If the food comes with potato automatically put on the plate, I rarely quibble. I LIKE potato. I just stop after a couple of mouthfuls, and ask Mr B if he wants the rest. He often does.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the pubs I eat in has one dish that replaces the pasta with ribbon veg.

I had a surprisingly wonderful afternoon tea with my friends yesterday-I wasn't particularly looking forward to it food wise as afternoon tea is a nightmare, but as I always say it's the occasion that's important not the food.

well this was a usual afternoon tea menu with the added words "for those of you without a sweet tooth we have a savoury choice - it was cheeses, meats, fish, olives and crudités - it did include crackers and bread but I just swerved those and I was stuffed - thought it was a brilliant idea and told them so, they said it was quite popular with the guys coming in with their ladies.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always enjoy the plowmans .. lovely big fresh salad.. big hunks of cheese and fresh olive oil mayo... ooooo heaven on a plate I don't need to take a bread roll or anything else it's lush

The wife says what about a veggie lazana with out the pasta, she weaves thinly sliced veg to replace the pasta and it's served with a fresh salad... lovely

Scotch eggs with veggie sausage replacement with yes you guest it ..... a lovely fresh salad

Macchease ... collie flower and brockley . Onion mushrooms and peppers in a cheese sauce served with a fresh s.......

Lots more but it will need to be a veggie pub

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Melanzane alla parmigiana is a good option and can be served as side dish - stunning with meat of any kind - or as a main for vegetarians.

I also think celeriac is a good idea, either as mash (well drained and mashed with lots of butter) or as chips.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @MikeTurin
Real bonus that you have found somebody interested in a menu for diabetics .. I hope that your suggestions are taken up but I would suggest that the god "Profit" might have some influence on the final decision ..
If menus are starting to take in account vegan an vegetarian choiches or even gluten/lactose free, I suppose that if in a pub they start to make low carb optin that makes people with diabetes to order more the profit equation is in favour of diabetics-friendly options.

The fact is that for vegan menus there's knowledge about wht to put in, for low carb there's way less information.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MikeTurin - Is the issue for day time or evenings, as menu structures could be very different.
It's for evening and nights, because that pub opens at 5 PM.
I've read a lot of intresting suggestions. That pub is great for live music, bers, wines and whisky, but the bartender knows that they aren't strong on foods s are trying to expand the menu. Hope that these suggestions could enter in their menu.

Reactions: Enclave and AM1874

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I had lunch in The Derby Arms, just next to Epsom racecourse, yesterday.
It's the first pub I've been to where they list on their website full nutritional information for every course and option.
The menu was pretty standard pub food, but well cooked and presented. I had a chicken/bacon/avocado salad and asked for an olive oil and lemon juice dressing instead of honey/mustard. I got just what I asked for in a little server.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had lunch in The Derby Arms, just next to Epsom racecourse, yesterday.
It's the first pub I've been to where they list on their website full nutritional information for every course and option.
The menu was pretty standard pub food, but well cooked and presented. I had a chicken/bacon/avocado salad and asked for an olive oil and lemon juice dressing instead of honey/mustard. I got just what I asked for in a little server.

Have to try there instead of 'The Rubbing House' next time I'm down visiting the parents!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Atkins (especially induction) is fairly well understood and so a good basis for a low carbohydrate menu.

From standard pub menus I go for things like bacon & cheese burger without the chips and bun.
Ham and egg without the chips.
Lamb shank without potatoes

One good thing to offer would be non-root vegetables like cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower without the carrots, parsnips and stuff.

Puddings are the main area where menus go full sugar.
Always have a good cheese board.
Berries and cream are also good.