Anyone tried Jason Fung's fasting protocol?

D

Deleted member 388305

[QUOTE="What exercise do you do? X"[/QUOTE] I have done tai chi for a long time. Last December I decided that I would not get to a higher general fitness level any more just from the tai chi. So I started doing jumping jacks, followed by push ups, increasing as I go along. It takes less than 5 minutes, but I can tell a benefit. I'm currently doing 110 jumping jacks and 24 pushups. My previous doctor was always encouraging me to walk, but when you blood sugars are up you really don't feel like doing anything. Over the last three weeks, as my fasting sugars have gotten back into a normal range, I just felt like walking so for the last week, my wife and I go for a walk - usually 1.5 to 2 miles.

Reactions: cpea

cpea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow so you went from 4.5 to 10.9 in 2 hours.. what was in the cheese sauce?
Yep, I was gutted :( it was just primula (6.8g of carbs) which is my guilty pleasure and saves faffing with making a bechamel sauce ;) a similar thing happened when I had a cheese burger using a portobello mushroom instead of a roll. Burger just steak mince, slice of emmental and salad. Have wondered if it could be the lactose or mushrooms. Just feels like my BS is out of possible control with numbers like this!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you got down to 4.5 so it can't be all that out of control...
Anyway lets get back to basics..
How long have you been diagnosed?
Was the 48 hours your first attempt at fasting? It could be that your body is so used to food 3 times a day that it freaked out a bit after a long break then a large meal? Were you eating LCHF for a period before the fast? How low is your carb intake usually?
I'm just guessing here.
As I said above personally I took it easier to start with and skipped a meal a day slowly extending that fasting period monitoring all the time. You should then see some patterns emerging..
When I do a longer fast (up to 7 days) then my sugars are more reactive when re-feeding. The first time I did an extended fast I jumped back in with a big Sunday lunch (still LCHF) which caused a bit of spike which I wasn't expecting. After that I now usually ease myself back with a buttery omelette or something small.
Hope that's a bit helpful.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I was gutted :( it was just primula (6.8g of carbs) which is my guilty pleasure and saves faffing with making a bechamel sauce ;) a similar thing happened when I had a cheese burger using a portobello mushroom instead of a roll. Burger just steak mince, slice of emmental and salad. Have wondered if it could be the lactose or mushrooms. Just feels like my BS is out of possible control with numbers like this!

Could there have been an element of the "last meal effect" going on? This is a well known phenomena. When we eat, the pancreas produces insulin to cover the carbs. When we don't eat, or when we have very low carb, and then eat, the pancreas is taken by surprise and doesn't immediately produce enough insulin. It only produces what it is used to producing, and often this is not a sufficient amount. Hence a high spike.

cpea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well you got down to 4.5 so it can't be all that out of control...
Anyway lets get back to basics..
How long have you been diagnosed?
Was the 48 hours your first attempt at fasting? It could be that your body is so used to food 3 times a day that it freaked out a bit after a long break then a large meal? Were you eating LCHF for a period before the fast? How low is your carb intake usually?
I'm just guessing here.
As I said above personally I took it easier to start with and skipped a meal a day slowly extending that fasting period monitoring all the time. You should then see some patterns emerging..
When I do a longer fast (up to 7 days) then my sugars are more reactive when re-feeding. The first time I did an extended fast I jumped back in with a big Sunday lunch (still LCHF) which caused a bit of spike which I wasn't expecting. After that I now usually ease myself back with a buttery omelette or something small.
Hope that's a bit helpful.

@bulkbiker that is extremely helpful. I've been diagnosed since 17th Feb , LOL jumping in with both feet! I pretty much cut carbs as soon as I found this amazing site, followed links and still got told to do the eatwell plate (with which I had lost 3.5 stone) by my DN - thought I'd take matters into my own hands! So perhaps over did it :-D. I just want to understand what's going on for me. I've started skipping breakfast but my BG is still 7ish fasting and 9-10 after meals. I felt awesome during the 48 hours I managed! Thanks again x

cpea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could there have been an element of the "last meal effect" going on? This is a well known phenomena. When we eat, the pancreas produces insulin to cover the carbs. When we don't eat, or when we have very low carb, and then eat, the pancreas is taken by surprise and doesn't immediately produce enough insulin. It only produces what it is used to producing, and often this is not a sufficient amount. Hence a high spike.

@Bluetit1802 thanks for that. So possibly my pancreas didn't make enough insulin to cover the meal. I guess I must be super insulin resistant if cauliflower cheese has that effect! I'll keep at it and do more research about "last meal syndrome". Thank you x

Reactions: Bluetit1802

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 thanks for that. So possibly my pancreas didn't make enough insulin to cover the meal. I guess I must be super insulin resistant if cauliflower cheese has that effect! I'll keep at it and do more research about "last meal syndrome". Thank you x

Last meal effect can be about more than just insulin production. It can also encompass other digestive enzymes. If your body is expecting to eat x, z or z (because you did eat is sometime pretty recently), it'll try it's best to accommodate the food with all the enzymes end hormones required. If you haven't eaten something for a while, our bodies can be somewhat caught on the hop.

Of course, that's hyper simplified, but is a decent starting point. Please don't make rash decisions based on one single test, although anything driving you up to very high numbers might be giving you very loud clues.

Keep testing and you'll fairly soon understand how your body can perform. That performance can change over time. Mine did for the better.

Reactions: kokhongw

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cpea
Sorry been out for dinner.. not fasting today.
Did you just try 48 hours straight off?
That's quite hard core..
I started with skipping breakfast then extending my fasting from there. It also helps if you are eating very low carb before you get into fasting.
You say your bloods shot up when you ate but what were they before the meal and what were the other veg apart from the cauli?

I'd agree with @bulkbiker on lowering the carbs. I've found by lowering the carbs I'm less hungry, so over time the visceral fat will come off. If one can get rid of the visceral fat and inflammation, then there's a good chance of reprieve from T2DM..

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is his regime please and have you seen much success? thanks!