Prediabetes Course of Action - Lifestyle

Hornet's Nest

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - my 1st post here, very pleased to have found this group.

I went to my GP a couple of weeks back as I'd been feeling generally unwell (not severe) and had some concerns about my circulation as I often wake up with tingling in my fingers and I've suffered from temple pressure for many years.

She did the bloodwork and when I went back she said I was Vit D deficient and had slightly elevated blood sugars indicating pre-diabetes. I was prescribed the Vit D and told to come back for impaired fasting glucose test which I did last Tue (fasting blood test, glucose drink, another blood test after 2hrs)..

So I phoned in today and the receptionist told me all my bloods are normal and that no other action is needed. Whilst I am relived to a degree I still have the symptoms I went in with but in the meantime have decided to adopt a low sugar diet. I am bot overly heavy and keep reasonably fit cycling every other day for 10miles in the summer - in the winter I am rather lazy.

Is it worth me home testing my blood sugars say once a week and if so should they be 1st thing in the morning?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you get you test results, you need to know exactly where you are starting from before you make a plan of action.

Hornet's Nest

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No all that happened was when I visited the GP after my 1st blood test she said I was pre-diabetic and when I phoned the surgery to find out the results of the 2 hour blood tests with glucose drink they told me my results were clear and there was no need for further action.

I have ordered a home test kit and will monitor my blood sugar weekly - I am also ramping up my exercise and cutting down on sugar.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please telephone your doctor and ask them for a print out of the results of both the first test and the glucose tolerence test.

Knowing and understanding your lab results will help inform your plan. You can also ask for further tests in 6 months or a year and see if your changes are working.

You should also be able to get your test results online like I can but it is hit and miss with some surgeries.

It is important you know what you are looking for when you do your home tests which are not as accurate as lab testing.

Can you see my lab results in my signature? A HBA1C of 40 is normal to my surgery but it is really at the high end of normal as a result of a changed diet.

I was also told no further action needed but I know I need to make more changes to diet and exercise to stop it creeping back up to prediabetic levels.

Many people are not given any warning that their blood sugar is creeping up into problem areas.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No all that happened was when I visited the GP after my 1st blood test she said I was pre-diabetic and when I phoned the surgery to find out the results of the 2 hour blood tests with glucose drink they told me my results were clear and there was no need for further action.

I have ordered a home test kit and will monitor my blood sugar weekly - I am also ramping up my exercise and cutting down on sugar.
Several years ago I had a prediabetic blood test so they gave me an OGTT which proved negative so no further action. I am now diabetic which I might have avoided. I now know that the OGTT has to be very carefully conducted to be valid, which it wasn't. My advice would be to take this seriously as you appear to be doing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hornet's Nest

Welcome!

I agree that it is essential you ask for a print out of both sets of tests otherwise you are working blind. It is often wise to mistrust doctors when they say thins like "normal", "OK", "fine" or whatever. If you are on the high side of any of your blood markers you need to know how high. You may be teetering on the edge of being "not OK". When our bloods are sent off to the lab and the lab writes up the results, they highlight or star anything abnormal. Doctors just look for these highlighted ones.

I also agree you should buy your own glucose meter and do regular tests to keep an eye on matters. You can also use it to help you with food choices by testing before you eat and again 90 minutes to 2 hours after first bite. A big rise tells you that meal was unsuitable for you as a diabetic. (Too many carbohydrates).