has any type 1 ever managed to lose weight while on Insulin

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Martin, you're a young newly diagnosed guy, and my intention was not to scare the living daylights out or you with my views on synthetic insulin. I just think it's important that people understand and are informed about the mediacation they are taking.
The term 'human' insulin is understandably misleading and nowadays doctors only prescribe the newer 'analogue' insulins. Patients need to be aware that there is no scientific evidence that neither 'human' or 'analogue' synthetic insulins are any more effective in controlling blood glucose than purified animal insulins. On the other hand there are many people who suffer side effect on these new insulins, and difficulty maintaining or losing weight can be a problem.
It is a fact that some doctors tell patients that animal insulin is no longer available, this is not true; and others who imply that it is old-fashioned-whatever that means! Having been on synthetic insulin for 19 years, I can honestly say I have not felt better than I have over the past year on pork insulin. the bonus is I have also been able to lose weight. My consultant had previously told me my diabetes would probably always be brittle, and blood sugar control inconsistent-it is not now!
Unforrtunately for me, the years of being uncontrolled on synthetic insulin, despite begging for help, have taken their toll on my health, and I have been told I have neuropothy in my feet. I also suffer bad heart-palpitations, and I never had them before I went on Lantus.
My only regret is that I didn't go on animal insulin years ago, my quality of life would have been so much better, and I pob wouldn't have spent my 20's and 30's struggling with my weight.
Jus

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How many carbs daily do you eat? Has this kept your weight off long term?
@christydb - This topic hasn't been replied to for 7 years. It's highly unlikely the original posters are still around and will respond. Totsy hasn't been on the forum since October.

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 for 20 years, I lost almost a stone at slimming world at beginning of the year. 1st diet that has worked for me and it is ok for diabetics. Now pregnant so will be going on it again after the baby comes :)

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm either losing or gaining weight depending on where i want to be weight wise. The first few weeks going from gaining weight to losing weight yield very little results since it takes a while for my insulin regime to catch up.

The biggest pointer i can give is: have a routine. I eat about the same day in day out and know with an error margin of about 200 calories how much i'm having. If after a few weeks i don't lose weight i further decrease consumed calories. Eventually i start losing weight and my insulin doses go down too. I also add two cardio sessions/week (1x HIIT and 1x 30 minute moderate to high intensity) which are good for about 1000 calories burned combined. But the vast majority is done through making chances in my diet.

Keeping a food log really helps, you can evaluate where you can reduce calories if you have some form of portion control. Eventually if your calories consumed are lower than your intake you should reduce in weight. Keep in mind that you can actually gain weight the first few days because of water retention. A good practice is to use a measuring tape and measure some key areas (for a male the belly is usually a good indicator), if that measurement goes down you can be sure you're losing weight regardless what the scale tells you. Also scales are pretty sensitive, always weigh yourself in the exact same spot, differences in the surface can easily add a kg or two. Also when weighing yourself try aiming for once a week on a friday morning. Fridays are usually the end of a set routine week (with work and all) weekends tend to be a bit off and could give a raised value.

Reactions: Dearbhla

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm either losing or gaining weight depending on where i want to be weight wise. The first few weeks going from gaining weight to losing weight yield very little results since it takes a while for my insulin regime to catch up.

The biggest pointer i can give is: have a routine. I eat about the same day in day out and know with an error margin of about 200 calories how much i'm having. If after a few weeks i don't lose weight i further decrease consumed calories. Eventually i start losing weight and my insulin doses go down too. I also add two cardio sessions/week (1x HIIT and 1x 30 minute moderate to high intensity) which are good for about 1000 calories burned combined. But the vast majority is done through making chances in my diet.

Keeping a food log really helps, you can evaluate where you can reduce calories if you have some form of portion control. Eventually if your calories consumed are lower than your intake you should reduce in weight. Keep in mind that you can actually gain weight the first few days because of water retention. A good practice is to use a measuring tape and measure some key areas (for a male the belly is usually a good indicator), if that measurement goes down you can be sure you're losing weight regardless what the scale tells you. Also scales are pretty sensitive, always weigh yourself in the exact same spot, differences in the surface can easily add a kg or two. Also when weighing yourself try aiming for once a week on a friday morning. Fridays are usually the end of a set routine week (with work and all) weekends tend to be a bit off and could give a raised value.

kay2409

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't calorie count. I count carbs and try to stick to a low carb diet. I have either scrambled eggs or skyr yoghurt with berries and milled linseed for breakfast. To tackle cravings I eat mainly high protein foods. In November I weighed 83kg and on Sunday I weighed myself and I'm down to 67.5kg. Cut down on carbs, its the best thing I've done. Kx

Reactions: ickihun

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've weighed 73kg for 30 yrs. But I'd say go low carb/low insulin to lose weight. And exercise. The problem there is getting low. And if you get low a lot you HAVE to take in carbs. And that will make it hard to lose weight. It can be done but it's not easy for a T1D.

Edited to remove derogatory remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhiannab13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Be aware that if you are exercising a lot, it may be that you are loosing fat but gaining muscle, muscle is denser than fat so when you exercise a lot you can ever put on weight from building muscle.

If you want to tone up / get fitter, it may be more beneficial to grab a tape measure rather than weigh yourself.

Good luck with it all.

R

Hi everyone

I am 26 been type 1 for 7 months now, and have put on shed loads of weight since taking insulin. The last couple of months i have completely cut down my carb intake, to try and reduce in insulin requirement. I am also training hard for my ride, (see below) i spend most evenings in the gym or in the pool and then at the weekend try and get out on some longer 30+ mile rides. I been struggling with some hypos due to exercise but slowly am getting better control when exercising, but i am still not loosing and weight?

If cutting down fat and carbs, and excising doesn’t work, what else is there left to do?

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been a type 1 Diabetic for over 10 years now. At almost 18, I can say I'm happy with my weight. I'm 5'6" and weigh 72.5kg. It isn't necessarily your weight you should be worried about. It's about how you feel in yourself. I eat things in moderation. I haven't cut anything out of my diet as such. I don't even exercise that much either. I've been on synthetic insulin since diagnosis in Nov 2006 and lost over 2 stone since I was 14. I've got a fairly slim figure and feel happy in myself. Sometimes it isn't your physical weight (or mass, technically); it can be your mental perception of yourself and "weight". Be happy and enjoy life. Enjoy a takeaway. Enjoy chocolate and a treat. Live life to the fullest

kittyboo

Hi everyone

I am 26 been type 1 for 7 months now, and have put on shed loads of weight since taking insulin. The last couple of months i have completely cut down my carb intake, to try and reduce in insulin requirement. I am also training hard for my ride, (see below) i spend most evenings in the gym or in the pool and then at the weekend try and get out on some longer 30+ mile rides. I been struggling with some hypos due to exercise but slowly am getting better control when exercising, but i am still not loosing and weight?

If cutting down fat and carbs, and excising doesn’t work, what else is there left to do?
hi

I managed to lose 2 1/2 stone following the slimming world plan. summer is far easier to lose weight for me as I eat tons of salads.. therefore drastically reducing my insulin. I don't eat bread either. I try to have sweet potato instead of normal potatoes. I do eatrice and pasta but in small quantities. I've been type 1 for 27 years and still sometimes find it hard and frustrating! good luck

Reactions: Pammy_50