Getting a tattoo

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting a tattoo which will be my third but this one is much bigger than the others. I will be in the chair for 2 - 3 hours in total. I am diet controlled with very good control. I have been told to eat a meal before the tattoo but what is a good meal. Should I eat fast acting carbs like a banana of something slower release? Don't want to carb load and then crash.

Reactions: Freema

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting a tattoo which will be my third but this one is much bigger than the others. I will be in the chair for 2 - 3 hours in total. I am diet controlled with very good control. I have been told to eat a meal before the tattoo but what is a good meal. Should I eat fast acting carbs like a banana of something slower release? Don't want to carb load and then crash.

Hi,

I didn't sit more than an hour for mine..

I empathise with your concern. I'll stick my neck out & suggest eat what you normally do prior to the session?
But carry some fast acting drinkable carbs, should something happen...?
Do you have a BS meter?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have a BG machine and will definitely take it with me. I have very low bg's so don't have much leeway to drop too much. Am thinking of upping my carbs the day before slightly to slowly build up my bg before my sitting.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have a BG machine and will definitely take it with me. I have very low bg's so don't have much leeway to drop too much. Am thinking of upping my carbs the day before slightly to slowly build up my bg before my sitting.

A reasonable plan.. Dificult to gauge as you & I are different. But you would ideally need to come back within "normal" range regarding helping the healing process... (Not sure if this is the first tatt as a D?)
The tattooist wouldn't mind a short break on the hour while you do a quick test.. They may even welcome it!? ;)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe brings some food with you to eat while you are there ... but how low is your blood glucose since you are that worried ?

if not under 4 mmol I don´t think it is in any way dangerous ?