Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys - in a bit of a dilema.... just wondering how you pumpers deal with alcohol- inparticularly Lager?..... been doing a bit of research on line and have found varying bits of info regarding alcohol. Info i have found is as follows..

1. only drink alcohol with food.. do not bolus for the carbs in the lager but eat additional carbs later to prevent low BS due to the effects of the alcohol.

2. give a bolus for the lager carbs but reduce basal by 20-30% for 2 hours per pint consumed.

If it is the latter... i have found a great deal of difference in the carbs stated in a pint of 4% lager ranging from 7grams to 17 grams!?!

Been invited out tonight and will not be eating but as its been so long wouldnt mind haveing 2 or 3 pints as a social drink prob over the course of 3 hours

My dilema is what option may be best?!? thinking of bolusing for carbs but reducing basal but if i do this... how many carbs do i bolus for 1 pint of lager? 7.....or 17??? or somewher inbetween?? do i bolus prior to each pint or consider how many pints i plan to drink and extend the bolus over a 3 hr period??

Would be very interested in hearing your views..... cant concentrate at work now dreaming of a nice cold refreshing beer... not had one in over 12 months...how sad!!!:bigtears:

D

Deleted Account

The reason you see conflicting answers is the good ole "it depends".
The carbs in some drinks such as beer would make your BG rise. However, the alcohol in the drinks could lead to a lower basal requirement as your liver retains glucagon until it has handled the alcohol,which it sees as poisonous.
My approach is to take insulin for the first pint and a half and then lay off for the rest of the night. This is based on my experience of how much alcohol has an effect (making me drunk and hungover in the morning).

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason you see conflicting answers is the good ole "it depends".
The carbs in some drinks such as beer would make your BG rise. However, the alcohol in the drinks could lead to a lower basal requirement as your liver retains glucagon until it has handled the alcohol,which it sees as poisonous.
My approach is to take insulin for the first pint and a half and then lay off for the rest of the night. This is based on my experience of how much alcohol has an effect (making me drunk and hungover in the morning).
Many thanks for that :).. so for 1 and a half pints how may carbs do you account for and in your experience how much do you reduce your basal and for how long? also do you pre bolus or bolus over an extended period??... so many questions lol.. but very new to pumping....I know the lager no doubt will affect me differently... but just curious to give me a 'ball park' idea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Many thanks for that :).. so for 1 and a half pints how may carbs do you account for and in your experience how much do you reduce your basal and for how long? also do you pre bolus or bolus over an extended period??... so many questions lol.. but very new to pumping....I know the lager no doubt will affect me differently... but just curious to give me a 'ball park' idea.
I do an instant pump for each half (I found drinking halves against other guys pints keeps my alcohol intake down) For about 8 or 9 grams carbs: a typical pint of lager has about 17g carbs. I don't reduce this because it is alcohol. As I mentioned previously, I take the "alcohol affect" into consideration when I drink more than a pint and a half. When I have a "serious night out", I also reduce my temporary basal for 6 hours or so before I go to bed.
This strategy works for me but it may take some trial and error to take into consideration your size and "alcohol resistance".

If I find myself drinking another alcoholic drink, I find wine does not contain sufficient carbs worthy of insulin but need to reduce the basal before bed. And rarely drink spirits or cocktails because they usual come with sweet mixers which just confuses the issue.

However, I have not changed the way I manage my diabetes since I changed from MDI to pump.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do an instant pump for each half (I found drinking halves against other guys pints keeps my alcohol intake down) For about 8 or 9 grams carbs: a typical pint of lager has about 17g carbs. I don't reduce this because it is alcohol. As I mentioned previously, I take the "alcohol affect" into consideration when I drink more than a pint and a half. When I have a "serious night out", I also reduce my temporary basal for 6 hours or so before I go to bed.
This strategy works for me but it may take some trial and error to take into consideration your size and "alcohol resistance".

If I find myself drinking another alcoholic drink, I find wine does not contain sufficient carbs worthy of insulin but need to reduce the basal before bed. And rarely drink spirits or cocktails because they usual come with sweet mixers which just confuses the issue.

However, I have not changed the way I manage my diabetes since I changed from MDI to pump.
Many many thanks - really appreciate your responce - so lager has 17 grams per pint?.... thanks for the advice... been using the 'Carbs and Cals' book as my food bible which lists Lager as 8 grams carbs per pint wheras other info on line state approx 17 grams... thanks for heads up.. appreciate it :)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I saw "pumping lager" I thought you meant filling your pump with lager instead of insulin. :hilarious:

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I saw "pumping lager" I thought you meant filling your pump with lager instead of insulin. :hilarious:
:wideyed:Lol used to do that but didnt quite work :)..... may be could think of a 2nd pump... one for the lager and one to continually reduce my basal ha ha

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to bolus for every pint up until the time where I have had a few and forget :), tend to stick to about 15-20g per pint. Of possible and when drinking in the house I have coors light as I quite like the taste and it's lower in carbs and I know exactly how may are in 100ml of it. I don't touch my bolus. And if possible again before I have had enough to forget I test my blood a couple of times throughout the night. Oh and alway get food on the way home using my diabetes as the excuse not the fact I am just a muncher