Fiasp in pump - sore sites

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else have Fiasp in their pump?

I have had it for the last two weeks.

It is miraculous for after meal blood sugars. I wanted it to grapple with after breakfast highs which were uncontrollable on Novorapid. I was warned not to use it more than TWO minutes before a meal, which i stick to for lunch and dinner but now in the morning I take a correction dose plus one third of my before breakfast insulin, get showered etc and then take the rest of my breakfast dose before breakfast which has miraculously kept my after breakfast BS at 7.

BUT - it irritates my sites - I have to change cannula every 48 hours, it leaves small pink lumps and I can see and feel the last 4 changes still.

Anyone else finding this?

Apart from this one thing, it's a miracle. Works like a dream. Control wonderful and easy.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Huh, I get that with NovoRapid.

IMO, just change your sites regularly, OR, see if it helps to bolus with a pen and use the pump for basal.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, I change very regularly - every 48 hours as i have already said, instead of 3-4 days as usual. So that hasn't helped. I could bolus with the pen but that would mean those doses were not in the memory of the pump which would mess up the digital records and also its memory of whether there is insulin on board to calculate the next dose. i have dyscalculia so doing that myself is a no-go.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, I change very regularly - every 48 hours as i have already said, instead of 3-4 days as usual. So that hasn't helped. I could bolus with the pen but that would mean those doses were not in the memory of the pump which would mess up the digital records and also its memory of whether there is insulin on board to calculate the next dose. i have dyscalculia so doing that myself is a no-go.

Hmm... you could actually bolus with the pump, but disconnect it first so the insulin just squirts into the air. And then bolus the same amount with a pen.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm... you could actually bolus with the pump, but disconnect it first so the insulin just squirts into the air. And then bolus the same amount with a pen.

I could indeed. But then I am injecting about 10 times a day into different parts of me and sites are precious - for the pump and for the sensor. i'd lose track. It's hard enough as it is!

i think what I shall do is use it till the 670 comes out and when I get that go back to Novorapid as the pump will anticipate lows and highs and react in time.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I could indeed. But then I am injecting about 10 times a day into different parts of me and sites are precious - for the pump and for the sensor. i'd lose track. It's hard enough as it is!

Oh, I assumed you were using detachable cannulas.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I'm interested in is if anyone else has found this. And whether they are worried by the vitamin B content which has probably not been investigated for long term (ie lifetime or at least longer than 3 months or maybe 6 months) use. The small amounts of vitamin B or nicotinamide in the skin - will its build up be toxic? It's toxic acutely in large amounts. Is it irritant?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LizLola, there are a few people on Facebook that have mentioned similar discomfort and I'm seeing it from time to time with Fiasp too.

What I'd warn you against with the 670 is the anticipatory nature of the algorithm. I've run a closed loop for more than six months and regardless of the level of anticipation, the limiting factor is insulin onset time. FIAsp works well for this, and is much better than Novorapid. I can see the benefits in my mid to late afternoon post prandial levels, even with closed loop.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Tim. That's interesting. i have completely annihilated my after breakfast whizz up into the clouds with Fiasp, by a correction plus 1/3 of before breakfast dose on waking, and taking the rest of the dose before breakfast. It's like magic. I love its action. But not loving what could be causing micro-scarring. And not too keen on the thought of the vitamin B build-up.

i think I might try eating fewer carbs and see if that helps.