Working withdabetes

FB1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I decided to step down as a store Supervisor at work as my hours were constantly changing and was interfering with me trying to keep myself well for work as my blood glucose readings were bouncing all over the place. I discussed this with both my store manager and department manager who tried to change my mind but I told them to have stable hours would help my health. The problem I now have is that although I have been given set hours since stepping down, I now find that they are starting to change them as I have the skills to run the department. What can I do?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I decided to step down as a store Supervisor at work as my hours were constantly changing and was interfering with me trying to keep myself well for work as my blood glucose readings were bouncing all over the place. I discussed this with both my store manager and department manager who tried to change my mind but I told them to have stable hours would help my health. The problem I now have is that although I have been given set hours since stepping down, I now find that they are starting to change them as I have the skills to run the department. What can I do?
Can you tell us about your job and your insulin regime? If you're on MDI with basal/bolus then you should be able to adjust your doses to suit every eventuality regarding your hours of work. So stepping down may not actually be entirely necessary...

There are many forum members on here who work shifts (me included) so it can be done:) It does take a bit of chopping and changing regarding what you're used to, but shouldn't be an issue providing you can spare a few seconds here and there to test BG and carry some form of dextrose tablets, etc in your pockets.

Last edited:

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What do you want to do? Prioritise your health, remind them that you are better because you are having a more settled routine and this is risky changing. Some diabetics just are better with routine. I am starting work again in a shop soon after three years away (as a mum), and shop work is always very hectic and unpredictable even within set hours. I am very happy this time with the Libre I can scan rather than test, so that is progress. I worry about hypos. They are not ever bad, but how do you in the middle of serving a customer deal with a bs going down.Dextrose are not practical in that setting. Chewing dry tablets.Gel? What can be discreet. It is different to work in a shop versus fex officework. Even if it is in theory ok to say sorry, have to fix this, to the customer and everybody else, it is not a situation that is comfortable especially in a new job. I just think, they do not understand, you need to think of the whole life situation. If you want to do more at work, yes, go for it, do what you can to help get to that in a good way.Change to a pump, get a libre fex.But if you feel happy with less responsibility and set hours, and your health and bs is better,others have to learn your skills and do it. Sometimes actually a choice that maybe is not moving your career forward can be the right choice for other reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorraine deer