LET DOWN

TURBO911_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been a diabetic type 1 since the age of 8 years old,I am nearly 49-year-old now.
In all those years I have never really seen any progress or improvement in the treatment of type 1 diabetes or been offered any alternative.
I see people who smoke,drink and do drugs get more help and treatment than I personally have ever been offered or had which I think is disgusting.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds depressing How much have you pushed on to get help

S

serenity648

I have been a diabetic type 1 since the age of 8 years old,I am nearly 49-year-old now.
In all those years I have never really seen any progress or improvement in the treatment of type 1 diabetes or been offered any alternative.
I see people who smoke,drink and do drugs get more help and treatment than I personally have ever been offered or had which I think is disgusting.
what country are you in?

TURBO911_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds depressing How much have you pushed on to get help
I attended a diabetic appointment a few weeks ago and its the same thing every time I go,they ask me how I feel and I reply "I hate diabetes and I hate injections "they say I have an issue and want me to see a shrink, I say its normal to feel that way baring in mind the doctors who speak to me arnt diabetic so will never understand.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I attended a diabetic appointment a few weeks ago and its the same thing every time I go,they ask me how I feel and I reply "I hate diabetes and I hate injections "they say I have an issue and want me to see a shrink, I say its normal to feel that way baring in mind the doctors who speak to me arnt diabetic so will never understand.

So you are in fact being offered help and declining it?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yes it is an anoying condition, but the doctors are not our parents, we are grown up people and have to understand that we can´t take it out on our doctors, they are actually not the ones who has given us diabetes, maybe they have served the bitter truth, but it doesn´t help anyone if we react towards them as if they were responsible in anyway for giving us diabetes..

it is dark bad luck to get this anoying condition, but not matter how much we react like offended children if is not helpfull in any way...
I don´t think even praying to God or howling at the divine will help either...

what does help is to take the responsibillity on ones shoulders even though it is an unwanted responsibility..and also focus on what is still good in life... there is still so much we can do, I do respect that type 1 is much more emediatly scary and dangerous and overwhelming... wish it could be taken away from you... maybe it can in the future there are scientists trying to find out how to do that... we can hope they will succeed rather sooner than later...I think it will be found out in some years, maybe i am optimistic...

I wan´t a good life where I am not going to be handicapped by having my legs removed or having servere neuropathy and eternal pain in my limbs or growing blind ... and therefor I just do the nessecary eat so that my levels have come down in a normal area... still there is no garantee, I can be hit by a car tomorrow I can get a blood clothing tomorrow... but at least I do my best and actually also feel much better now I have got control and gotten the grib over this disease instead of it having me in its gribs

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystalwand

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry you sound so depressed but, firstly, it is not a disease. Diabetes is a controllable condition. I have neuropathy and retinopathy BUT they are my own fault. Not having looked after myself in the past 54 years.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.

Hi @TURBO911_

I was only diagnosed in October 2016 and type 2 so I don't know what its like to be a diabetic for such a long time or even type one, but one thing I have learnt is what ever type you have its difficult to get your head around and keep on track with it all. Your right there is no cure and it is difficult to keep going at times with such a strict diet and routine but its necessary, no matter how much it gets us down. I used to be a nurse so I've seen the results of poorly kept diabetes, there's so many bad consequences from poor control as I'm sure your aware. I'm sure everyone falls off the diabetic band wagon from time to time and gets really down about their past, present and future with diabetes, but occasionally dose not matter too much. But it sounds as if you have a real problem with things at the moment, its only a suggestion but maybe it would be worth talking to your Doctor about it, it dosn't have to be a shrink to start with, sometimes just getting things off your chest and into the open helps. You can discuss the possibility of just not addressing your anger over it all, or if your really down about it as you appear to be there is the chance that you are depressed but just not considered it as a prospect. Its not the end of the world if you are, your doctor will be able to refer you to some form of counceling or talking therapy as an option which may help, or prescribe a small dose of an anti depressant, which maybe all you need if that is the problem, psychiatrists don't have to be involved. It dosent mean your a nut case to admit your struggling a bit with all of this. 1 in 4 people in the world experience depression at some stage in their life and may need a little help, it's not such a big thing any more. Give it some thought, make an appointment and see someone to rule things out. Then maybe your be able to face life as a diabetic again. If nothing else it will be someone to talk to about how you feel at the moment. No one can take diabetes away from you unfortuneately but they maybe able to help you cope with it better.

Good luck
Maggie/magpie

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
There are lots of advancements, it's just complicated. There's an insulin pump, that helps type ones a LOT. I'm a reactive hypoglycemic W/O diabetes. Y' know what they suggested to me? To get my pancreas removed and become insulin dependent. Same symptoms, same diet plan, just not as many episodes as I've been having. Sounds like useless surgery to me, but I'm thankful they a least have ideas, and I'm just glad that they have learned enough about my own disease to be confident in offering me that option. Keep your head up, the doctors are trying, there just aren't many things that can inspire the pancreas to be consistent in insulin delivery

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @TURBO911_ - sorry you're having such a hard time of things.

Any life-changing diagnosis can be difficult to accept, particularly one with such prevalent bad press and high publicised poor outcomes. It's easy to feel like you've lost something, and many people go through a grieving process for the life and outcomes they feel they've lost. It sounds to me a little bit like you're stuck in that process, and that your doctors (in offering you counselling) are trying to help you out of it.

You haven't mentioned anything you might be doing to get proactive with your T1. Compared to many other life-changing conditions, diabetes is a condition that can (to a greater or lesser extent) be self-managed. Are you testing, keeping a food diary or trying to control your illness with diet? You're not a helpless passenger on a diabetes-driven train here and there are lots of things you can try to regain your sense of control.

I know it seems bleak and that the needles and appointments and fuss are all something of a ball-ache (language, apologies), but you're not at the end of your journey yet, and between this forum and community and your doctors there is lots of positive support and help available for you. You just have to be ready to engage with it.

Take the offer of a "shrink". It sounds like it would be useful for you to have someone to talk to about this, your feelings, you sense of your illness being in control of you and not the other way around.

Good luck - and come back. You're not alone.

Sock x

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon83