Blood monitor

swine1

Hi.
Can anyone recommend a first time easy to use Blood Monitor. There is so much bumph out there its so very confusing??
Best Regards, Bernard.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @swine1

When buying a meter it's a good idea to check out the cost of the strips as these are the biggest expense. Many people use either the SD Codefree or the Tee2 meters as they have the cheapest strips. Both are available online:

Codefree - https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

You want the one that measures in mmols. There are discount codes for ordering strips in bulk (it's not easy to spot where to put them, so check as you follow the checkout process)

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Tee2 - http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

For either, make sure you check the box to say you are diabetic so that you don't have to pay VAT

I personally use the Codefree and find it easy to use. Have also heard good things about the Tee2 on this site.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The Tee2 from spirit healthcare is free from their site's on line shop together with data lead software and spare batteries you do need to state you are diabetic.

Reactions: Enclave
D

Deleted member 308541

I have used both a Accu-Chek Performa and a Freedom Lite meter and they are both easy to use.

Both have very clear quick start instructions which are simple to follow with plenty of pictures.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
After 3 different models I have finally settled on a generic WalMart brand. I paid $9 for the tester and $19 for 100 test strips. not sure what that works out to in your currency.

also did not have a problem with any of the 3 just switched because of cost savings.

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to order 5 packs of strips today, but the discount code was not accepted. Yes, I did order 5, and yes, I did put in the correct code. ;)
It worked perfectly well when I last ordered, but I noticed that the sticker showing the codes for 5 and 10 was not on any of the boxes.
Don't they give a discount anymore?

Was it refused completely, or did it show once you arrived at the final payment page? Since their website was updated sometime ago the discount bits are a bit confusing. I had trouble, but it was applied in the end.

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it refused completely, or did it show once you arrived at the final payment page? Since their website was updated sometime ago the discount bits are a bit confusing. I had trouble, but it was applied in the end.

When I put in the number and hit the button to the right of it (forgot what it said), the code disappeared. I expected the discount to show up somewhere on the same page, but it didn't, so I left. Maybe I should just have gone further. I find the site to be very confusing. I'll try again tomorrow, as I need the strips, discount or no discount.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks John.
Have ordered a free meter. Very nice people.
Regards.
I have moved over to the Tee2 meter from the SD code free .. I like the Tee2 a lot more .. it needs a lot less blood and matches my reading perfectly on the accu check meter .. but to be honest they are both brilliant for the low priced test strips

EDIT :: My Tee2 meter tonight gave me a reading of 9.5 and my accu check reads 6.8 ... will need more Tee2 teat strips to run the test fluid ... I had the same problem with my code free this is why I swapped meters.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to order 5 packs of strips today, but the discount code was not accepted. Yes, I did order 5, and yes, I did put in the correct code. ;)
It worked perfectly well when I last ordered, but I noticed that the sticker showing the codes for 5 and 10 was not on any of the boxes.
Don't they give a discount anymore?

I last ordered a few weeks ago and the discount code for 10 packs works. It is a bit of a confusing website and payment process. You could try ringing them as I've always found them helpful on the phone.

Reactions: AnnInDenmark

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have moved over to the Tee2 meter from the SD code free .. I like the Tee2 a lot more .. it needs a lot less blood and matches my reading perfectly on the accu check meter .. but to be honest they are both brilliant for the low priced test strips

How did the Codefree match up to your Accu Chek? Mine averages about 0.5mmol/l difference. (Codefree higher)

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I last ordered a few weeks ago and the discount code for 10 packs works. It is a bit of a confusing website and payment process. You could try ringing them as I've always found them helpful on the phone.

It's good to know that it still works. Thank you. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that now you have to go right to checkout to apply the code for discount for the codefree meter
CAROL

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that now you have to go right to checkout to apply the code for discount for the codefree meter
CAROL

Thanks. :)
I managed to order my 5 packs. As I have to pay £4 shipping cost, it's nice get a £8.96 discount.