Fiasp experiences

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So FIASP on two meals...awesome. Started a bit higher for breakfast with 50g carbs (thought I would give it a good first run!) went with Granola, yet again..picked it up last night as I do love Granola/ Muesli and haven't had it for nearly a year.

Jabbed and ate immediately, and quickly (wasn't sure of the speed of FIASP so better safe than sorry)- all recipes for a disaster, I did hit 9.0 (Dexcom), after 40 mins... followed by a 6.4 at exactly two hours on my meter. Next time, less rushing.

Lunch was next at 28g Carbs, as it wasn't long after my breakfast jab I reduced the carbs to 20g. Ate slower but an hour later I am on 4.4 according to Dex. So I predict the tail is still as long. Odd how I already reduced it, but obviously not enough.

@Kateyo, @CJOtter

I think the real golden thing will be having the ability to see your meal, then judge and jab...rather than guesswork. So sick of misjudging portions or waiting for the food to see the carbs and it going cold while it kicks in. Also correction! 20 mins for corrections? Or 40? Anyone had any testing with corrections?

Reactions: Kateyo

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ElkBond I don't think a 9 is too bad with granola! I don't eat anything like granola because the spike is so bad so once you tweak things a little id say granola might work well for you! :) Great that things are going well so far! I'm sat just trying to talk myself into starting it, I don't know what has me so worked up about giving it a go especially as I was the one to insist I got it :nailbiting: think it's because my ratios are slightly higher to account for spikes which means I snack later to avoid going low so obviously I'll need to drop ratios before starting! So far so good for you, very happy to hear that :)

Reactions: ElkBond

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ElkBond I don't think a 9 is too bad with granola! I don't eat anything like granola because the spike is so bad so once you tweak things a little id say granola might work well for you! :) Great that things are going well so far! I'm sat just trying to talk myself into starting it, I don't know what has me so worked up about giving it a go especially as I was the one to insist I got it :nailbiting: think it's because my ratios are slightly higher to account for spikes which means I snack later to avoid going low so obviously I'll need to drop ratios before starting! So far so good for you, very happy to hear that :)

I find the biggest change I have made with sugary food is to eat slow, like I have once tackled a creme egg (once non-hypo, i promise!) and it went ok actually, i literally ate it so slow, and waited 30-40 mins with nova. These things are too much effort, and tbh.. i never was a sugar fiend before, but they are too much for me now. I felt a bit icky after it.

Just go for it! What pump do you have? Do u have a CGM? If not just take a few more frequent readings while you work outs its peak on you.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the biggest change I have made with sugary food is to eat slow, like I have once tackled a creme egg (once non-hypo, i promise!) and it went ok actually, i literally ate it so slow, and waited 30-40 mins with nova. These things are too much effort, and tbh.. i never was a sugar fiend before, but they are too much for me now. I felt a bit icky after it.

Just go for it! What pump do you have? Do u have a CGM? If not just take a few more frequent readings while you work outs its peak on you.
Ohh I love a creme egg but always think they're too much hassle blood sugar wise so resist! I actually just started the dexcom a few weeks ago, lots of changes for me at the minute it seems! The first sensor was rubbish or maybe I hadn't inserted it very well but the current one is great and seems to be very accurate so it will be a huge help to keep an eye on things!! I'm on Accu-Chek combo pump too. How things have changed over recent years - pumps, cgm now fiasp!!!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Jabbed and ate immediately, and quickly (wasn't sure of the speed of FIASP so better safe than sorry)

Any thoughts on what you'd do with a low gi meal? I reduce pre-bolus time for low gi food like pulses otherwise I'll drop low. Given the speed of fiasp, it's sounding like there might be circumstances where bolusing post-meal might be not only an option, but necessary.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohh I love a creme egg but always think they're too much hassle blood sugar wise so resist! I actually just started the dexcom a few weeks ago, lots of changes for me at the minute it seems! The first sensor was rubbish or maybe I hadn't inserted it very well but the current one is great and seems to be very accurate so it will be a huge help to keep an eye on things!! I'm on Accu-Chek combo pump too. How things have changed over recent years - pumps, cgm now fiasp!!!

How long do you keep your sensor going? Because my second week is always my strongest by far, I often dose from it too, but first few days are rubbish when it first goes in.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any thoughts on what you'd do with a low gi meal? I reduce pre-bolus time for low gi food like pulses otherwise I'll drop low. Given the speed of fiasp, it's sounding like there might be circumstances where bolusing post-meal might be not only an option, but necessary.

Hey Scott, I ate this hi GI food instantly and tbh in future I will give the FIASP a head start. But with low GI meals i expect my extended bolus to give less upfront perhaps? On jabs, i think try as soon as you eat maybe? Only way to find out is to try.

P.s FIASP is getting a good run tomorrow, there is a street food event near me... pray for me

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How long do you keep your sensor going? Because my second week is always my strongest by far, I often dose from it too, but first few days are rubbish when it first goes in.
The first sensor didn't even last into the second week, I think I maybe didn't insert it properly because it was nowhere near as good as this second sensor has been and it's been pretty accurate from the get go, hope they're all like that but prob not :rolleyes:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Scott, I ate this hi GI food instantly and tbh in future I will give the FIASP a head start. But with low GI meals i expect my extended bolus to give less upfront perhaps? On jabs, i think try as soon as you eat maybe? Only way to find out is to try.

P.s FIASP is getting a good run tomorrow, there is a street food event near me... pray for me

Cheers, yes, I'll probably start with injecting at first bite and see how it pans out from there. My area nhs formulary isn't expected to approve it till September but it's interesting watching you guys guinea-pigging it for us!

Enjoy the event! It's always funny reading medical papers about detailed, controlled studies, when what's really needed is papers on "Action of Fiasp in the context of a random night out on the town"!

Reactions: Kateyo

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Done. I'm Fiasp-ing! Haven't eaten anything yet, waiting on my last bolus to reach the 4 hour mark! Will update later!!

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All this fiasp talk is interesting... unfortunately not available here yet.
I can see why people would hypo when they've learnt for so long they have plenty of time to eat with novorapid/etc.

It's funny, I only just started novorapid and the hcp advice was "jab directly before meals"... I get that they're more afraid of hypos, but in terms of final outcomes, I don't think there's enough emphasis on the long term - and a lack of real-life knowledge.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Comments on Low gi food? Injecting post meal is fine in my experience.

Using it with a closed loop, I originally had DIA set to two hours and believe me, that was two short. It works best at three hours for me.

Last edited:

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well FIASP is a god send for spontaneous eating, I kinda of winged it today at the street food event. Got there for 11am, mentally prepared my self to not get stressed at a double digit. From 11am til 2:30 I ate:

Fried Chicken and Fries, Soft Tacos, Fish and Rice, Half a Pizza and a ended with a creme brulee. And to drink two beers. I set a high basal to cover my beers, and I guessed bolused everything. Attached is my Dexcom from the day. No correction needed. After 2:30 I walked back and then hit a low, which may have been a misjudge on the creme brûlée mixd with exercise.

All in all, I would say a success. I did this last year too and the results were.... disappointing. Spent the afternoon higher than I'd like (breached 10 and lingered around 8 most of that day - I can definitely rage bolus!). I walked around for around 20 mins with my food letting it go cold and always misjudged the amount. This time I sat down with it, looked at then bolused, waited a tiny bit and ate. I also stacked (Bolused every meal) and ate reasonably slowly (this hasn't changed from nova), eating slowly is both prolonged enjoyment, less spiky with certain foods and fills you up sooner :)

For REF: High alert is 6.8 (to alert me how things are going, I don't treat a 6.8 unless trajectory is upwards) and low 4.5.

IMG_3993.PNG

Reactions: pinewood

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's what it is amazing for. Spontaneous reaction. It totally removes the pre-bolus. For me personally, Fiasp=freedom.

Planning on writing a blog post on this so mind if I use some quotes?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what it is amazing for. Spontaneous reaction. It totally removes the pre-bolus. For me personally, Fiasp=freedom.

Planning on writing a blog post on this so mind if I use some quotes?

You go ahead Tim :)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very jealous of all you FIASP'ers! My hospital appointment was a waste of time; saw a registrar who had never even heard of Fiasp. He google'd it and then said he would speak to the consultant. He also had no idea about sugar surfing and couldn't even interpret my Dexcom reports. The consultant eventually came in and told me it is not on the formulary yet and I need to wait 6+ months and then we can discuss it at my next appointment, nothing he can do to speed it up etc. etc. I mentioned others using it and he said it's down to the CCG?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very jealous of all you FIASP'ers! My hospital appointment was a waste of time; saw a registrar who had never even heard of Fiasp. He google'd it and then said he would speak to the consultant. He also had no idea about sugar surfing and couldn't even interpret my Dexcom reports. The consultant eventually came in and told me it is not on the formulary yet and I need to wait 6+ months and then we can discuss it at my next appointment, nothing he can do to speed it up etc. etc. I mentioned others using it and he said it's down to the CCG?

Yer my health board didn't approve it for a month or two after Tims did (i emailed them as soon as it was approved ha!), it does all come down to that.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using fiasp for almost a week now and I'm impressed so far! Not having to pre bolus and wait makes such a difference. Before fiasp I was having some issues with spikes after eating, no matter how soon I pre bolused and with foods that had never been a problem before (not sure why!) but over the last week I've seen a great improvement and have eaten the foods I had been having problems with to test it and so far so good! My ratios have reduced slightly and I do need to basal test to tweak a little but I was working on adjusting basal before changing to fiasp anyway so no surprise there. I've also noticed that the rise is much more gradual after a meal, not instant like before which I assume mimics the first phase insulin a nonD would release. All in all I'm very happy with fiasp so far. @pinewood sorry to hear that it's not available for you yet!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using Fiasp for almost 3 weeks.
At first, the really high spikes (especially after breakfast) stopped.
My cgm showed that Fiasp lasted 3.5 hours rather than 4.
I learned that, if my BG is below 5, I should wait till after eating before bolussing, otherwise I'll hypo.

After about 10 days, the spikes started again. I thought I needed to change my ratios but there was no consistency in the spikes. After several more days, and some basal testing, I have increased breakfast and evening meal ratios. I expected to have to increase basals too but have actually only had to increase 2 and decrease a third (not related to the increases).

I think I will most likely have to make more changes. It looks like, for me, it's going to take a while to find the correct insulin levels.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never pre bolus using Novolog (Novorapid in the UK). I used to with Humulin, not Humulog. I wait and see what they bring me at a restaurant and see how much I eat, then bolus. Works for me. Sounds like you can to that with Fiasp just fine too which is great. I'd like to try that stuff but don't even know if we have it in the US.