Type 1 Naproxen and Codeine

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went to the doctors today, due to having a bad back. I have strained muscles and paracetamol and ibroprofen don't help, so have ben prescribed these. Has anyone else used either or these 2 medications while being type 1? Just wondering if they do actually cause an effect on blood glucose levels, so i know what to expect. Thanks to anyone im advance.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I believe codeine can be similar to alcohol in the way it affects the liver in terms of reduced blood glucose - but I imagine a low dose would not have much impact (say, less than 65mg - and really, if you need more than that at once, they'd probably put you on a different painkiller)
I'd be careful to start with, see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy993

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was given Codeine once at A&E after breaking my wrist in two places. There didn't seem to be any effect on my BG but that was only one tablet. I bought Cocodamol at the pharmacy and again it didn't affect my BG, which is strange as paracetamol, on its own, does increase it.

Hope your back is better soon!

D

Deleted member 83869

I was given Naproxen a few years back, when I had sciatica....although at the time GP just said it was muscle pain...turns out to have been a slipped disc!!
It didn't affect my levels though, and neither did co-codamol!

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have taken both and had no problem at all.

Levels were the same as usual.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the doctors today, due to having a bad back. I have strained muscles and paracetamol and ibroprofen don't help, so have ben prescribed these. Has anyone else used either or these 2 medications while being type 1? Just wondering if they do actually cause an effect on blood glucose levels, so i know what to expect. Thanks to anyone im advance.

Good afternoon Amy. I have found Naproxen to be excellent for frozen shoulder, torn shoulder ligaments, and other muscular pains - and it has never affected my blood sugar. Paracetamol, Asprin, etc all OK. Ibroprofen, however, does affect my tummy.
Hope you get better soon.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I believe codeine can be similar to alcohol in the way it affects the liver in terms of reduced blood glucose - but I imagine a low dose would not have much impact (say, less than 65mg - and really, if you need more than that at once, they'd probably put you on a different painkiller)
I'd be careful to start with, see what happens.

Thanks you, im only on codeine when i need to take it when my back hurts. I usually take it twice during the day, each tablet is only 30mg. I only had one hypo today, but that was the one i usually have on a Wednesday!

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks you, im only on codeine when i need to take it when my back hurts. I usually take it twice during the day, each tablet is only 30mg. I only had one hypo today, but that was the one i usually have on a Wednesday!

Good morning Amy. Why do you expect a HYPO on a Wednesday?

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning Amy. Why do you expect a HYPO on a Wednesday?

I am on yard duries at college, so am doing exercise. However, even if i use my exercise function with lunch, which is -50% it still sometimes happens, even if I don't do as much exercise as expected.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on yard duries at college, so am doing exercise. However, even if i use my exercise function with lunch, which is -50% it still sometimes happens, even if I don't do as much exercise as expected.

Good morning Amy. It sounds to me like you need to reduce your morning Insulin on a Wednesday if your Hypo is during the day or your evening Insulin if your Hypo is happening Wednesday night. Try just reducing by 2 units to see what effect it has. That of course assumes that your diet is constant. Taking too much Insulin at night does force your blood sugar readings down, but don't adjust by too much or in the morning you will have a spike.

Above all, SPEAK TO YOUR DIABETIC TEAM. Having regular Hypos on a Wednesday is a big clue to the answer.

There are some very bright members on this FORUM who can point you in the right direction.

All the best.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning Amy. It sounds to me like you need to reduce your morning Insulin on a Wednesday if your Hypo is during the day or your evening Insulin if your Hypo is happening Wednesday night. Try just reducing by 2 units to see what effect it has. That of course assumes that your diet is constant. Taking too much Insulin at night does force your blood sugar readings down, but don't adjust by too much or in the morning you will have a spike.

Above all, SPEAK TO YOUR DIABETIC TEAM. Having regular Hypos on a Wednesday is a big clue to the answer.

There are some very bright members on this FORUM who can point you in the right direction.

All the best.

I have had a discussion about this with my nurse, and are trying to sort it. However, if i reduce the morning insulin, it tends to spike after breakfast and then drop after lunch. Hopefully it will all be sorted in a couple of months when i move onto a pump!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a discussion about this with my nurse, and are trying to sort it. However, if i reduce the morning insulin, it tends to spike after breakfast and then drop after lunch. Hopefully it will all be sorted in a couple of months when i move onto a pump!
Glad to hear you're going on the pump. This will make it so much easier to control things like your Wednesday hypos.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply Amy. Having a spike after breakfast is normal. A drop after lunch is not normal. I hope you are checking your blood before each meal, 30 minutes after each meal, and 2 hours later. Also keep a record of what you eat for each meal and any tit bits you eat in between.

You are going to have sore finger tips with all this testing. So, ask your Doctor if you can be supplied with a Libre on the NHS. Because you are Type 1 with Hypo problems you are eligible for one. Do not offer to pay for it yourself - it will cost you £100 per month. Your tax has already paid for it. That is why you pay tax.

With the Libre you can check your readings every half hour and thus build a better picture of what is causing your spikes & Hypos. If you have night time Hypos the Libre is great for warning you when your BS is going down and also when your liver is dumping in an effort to prevent Hypos.

Your diet is also very important so keep a careful record on your eating habits. Also, don't forget exercise - make a not of when and what type of exercise.

When you have all this information down on a chart yor Diabetic Team will be able more clearly to advise you on what is best for you.

THIS IS YOUR NEW LIFESTYLE. Have a nice day and don't get depressed - become a survivor.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply Amy. Having a spike after breakfast is normal. A drop after lunch is not normal. I hope you are checking your blood before each meal, 30 minutes after each meal, and 2 hours later. Also keep a record of what you eat for each meal and any tit bits you eat in between.

You are going to have sore finger tips with all this testing. So, ask your Doctor if you can be supplied with a Libre on the NHS. Because you are Type 1 with Hypo problems you are eligible for one. Do not offer to pay for it yourself - it will cost you £100 per month. Your tax has already paid for it. That is why you pay tax.

With the Libre you can check your readings every half hour and thus build a better picture of what is causing your spikes & Hypos. If you have night time Hypos the Libre is great for warning you when your BS is going down and also when your liver is dumping in an effort to prevent Hypos.

Your diet is also very important so keep a careful record on your eating habits. Also, don't forget exercise - make a not of when and what type of exercise.

When you have all this information down on a chart yor Diabetic Team will be able more clearly to advise you on what is best for you.

THIS IS YOUR NEW LIFESTYLE. Have a nice day and don't get depressed - become a survivor.

Thank you for the advice! I keep a diary with my levels, amount of carbs eaten and exercise done already. I am very active due to owning and working with horses the majority of the time. I am only 17, and have only been diagnosed for almost 10 months, so as still coming to terms with managing it. I am moving out of paediatric next year when i am 18, which is why i am trying a pump soon before i move. When that is sorted i will query about the libre.

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the advice! I keep a diary with my levels, amount of carbs eaten and exercise done already. I am very active due to owning and working with horses the majority of the time. I am only 17, and have only been diagnosed for almost 10 months, so as still coming to terms with managing it. I am moving out of paediatric next year when i am 18, which is why i am trying a pump soon before i move. When that is sorted i will query about the libre.
Hello again Amy. Congratulations. You seem to be doing very well with the way you are approaching things. Normally to obtain a Libre on the NHS they look for two things: 1. That you are Type 1 and 2. That you are having unexpected Hypos.

If your pump solves your problem on Hypos then they may not be willing to pay for a Libre. It might be best to enquire about a Libre whilst you are still having Hypos. I have a Libre (and so do many other Diabetics on this Forum) but I had to pay for mine and it costs £100 per month for the sensors. The main advantage to me is that when I wake up 3 times in the night to visit the loo I can check if I am heading towards a Hypo and do something about it.

I love horses too, ever since I learnt to ride at 16. Now at 75 I dare not mount a horse as a fall could be fatal.

Have a nice day. And best wishes for the future.

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Be very careful with Naproxen. I was given this last July because of hip pain and ended up with pneumonia. Consultant said it was caused by the Naproxen which should never be given to diabetics. There is a part of the leaflet that says card must be taken.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello again Amy. Congratulations. You seem to be doing very well with the way you are approaching things. Normally to obtain a Libre on the NHS they look for two things: 1. That you are Type 1 and 2. That you are having unexpected Hypos.

If your pump solves your problem on Hypos then they may not be willing to pay for a Libre. It might be best to enquire about a Libre whilst you are still having Hypos. I have a Libre (and so do many other Diabetics on this Forum) but I had to pay for mine and it costs £100 per month for the sensors. The main advantage to me is that when I wake up 3 times in the night to visit the loo I can check if I am heading towards a Hypo and do something about it.

I love horses too, ever since I learnt to ride at 16. Now at 75 I dare not mount a horse as a fall could be fatal.

Have a nice day. And best wishes for the future.

Thank you. Okay i will ask about the libre. I hope the pump will work for me! Ahh thats nice, and thats fair enough.