Fasting and hypo

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hello folk
I always feel guilty since the only time I post on the site is to ask questions since asking anything at the clinic is pretty pointless and I think the people on this site speak from experience not out of books
So here I go with my?????s first off I try to fast from 8pm till 10am but tonight my bs two hours after my tea was 3.8 not sure why since I had a small portion of macaroni cheese so I'm thinking I need to eat
My second question is can stress cause a drop in bs instead of sending it up? If so this might explain my low sugar level
I can't blame the heat either because I'm up on the west coast of Scotland and it has poured down for almost a fortnight
Thanks for your help hopefully
Cheers
Jan

Reactions: himtoo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello folk
I always feel guilty since the only time I post on the site is to ask questions since asking anything at the clinic is pretty pointless and I think the people on this site speak from experience not out of books
So here I go with my?????s first off I try to fast from 8pm till 10am but tonight my bs two hours after my tea was 3.8 not sure why since I had a small portion of macaroni cheese so I'm thinking I need to eat
My second question is can stress cause a drop in bs instead of sending it up? If so this might explain my low sugar level
I can't blame the heat either because I'm up on the west coast of Scotland and it has poured down for almost a fortnight
Thanks for your help hopefully
Cheers
Jan

Hello there, brottonmoores. When you had your 3.8, did you retest to check it's likely accuracy, bearing in mind you'd had pasta, and how did you feel at 3.8?

For me, as a T2, in decent shape, I feel fine at 3.8, and it is no concern for me. For some others they feel rough when they dip low.

Reactions: Struma

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wash your hands and test again.. I got a 2.3 this afternoon retested 4.1..

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for answering usually anything under 4.5 ish I start feeling sick and have ringing in my ears 3.8 and I'm feeling a bit wobbly
Did wash hands tried again and tried with another meter which was 3.9 so had a small bowl of cereal in a panic to stop it dropping more
Hope everyone in the UK is enjoying the heat wave
Cheers
Jan

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for answering usually anything under 4.5 ish I start feeling sick and have ringing in my ears 3.8 and I'm feeling a bit wobbly
Did wash hands tried again and tried with another meter which was 3.9 so had a small bowl of cereal in a panic to stop it dropping more
Hope everyone in the UK is enjoying the heat wave
Cheers
Jan
Personally I would have been quite pleased with 3.8 but if you felt ill then best to eat.. cereal however I would not advise...
Remember if your diet is working then your bloods will be in low territories that they are not used to.t may take a bit of time to get used to it but providing you aren't taking meds that lower your blood glucose then you'll get used to it.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@brottonmoores on my first fast I got a 3.8 as well. I had no symptoms of hypoglycemia but to be safe I made sure I had fast acting glucose tablets with me. I think in my case I was starting to go into ketosis therefore my glucose levels were low but I felt fine.
I'm currently on day one of a seven day fast and I'm nowhere near those numbers..... yet. I'm still trying to get out of the 6's.

Reactions: ringi

Marggie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there, brottonmoores. When you had your 3.8, did you retest to check it's likely accuracy, bearing in mind you'd had pasta, and how did you feel at 3.8?

For me, as a T2, in decent shape, I feel fine at 3.8, and it is no concern for me. For some others they feel rough when they dip low.

I am T2 and feel awful at 4.4 :-(

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 and feel awful at 4.4 :-(

Marggie - We are all different, and, provided we're not taking strong medication to drive our blood sugars down (Metformin isn't usually classified in that group) we should be considering both the meter reading and how we feel.

If you haven't been diagnosed very long you may feel OK with lower numbers over time, but 4.4 is a decent number. It's not officially in the hypo range, but if your numbers are coming down, you might feel a but off whilst your body gets used to the new you.

Reactions: ringi

Loobielooz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2

If i had a 3.8mmol i would be shaking, sweating, feeling faint and gorging on carbs!!!!! Being a newbie it always suprises me how We are all very different.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are on any diabetes medication, especially insulin, you will likely need to adjust it in order to fast safely.

navigator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mental is the reply posted here in answer to my question on fasting 12 hours before a blood test

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mental is the reply posted here in answer to my question on fasting 12 hours before a blood test

When I moved your posts to the new thread, I couldn't be sure whom Mentat was addressing with his reply, so left it.

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @brottonmoores
I notice u posted this 3 days ago so hope the issue has been resolved. My reply however would be when u got ur reading of 3.8 how long ago had u eaten, for me it takes at least a while for my readings to start reacting to my food, so ur low may have been caused by whatever u we're doing prior to eating. On this basis I would probably have checked my sugar again every 15 minutes if it started going down I would have some fast acting glucose but if it started going up then u know ur pasta meal is being digested.