For Kristin

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lmao. You made my day!!! Best burger ever.

Funny. Last 5 days ate a piece of deli chicken bf with avocado of course. Needed twice the insulin. Today just avocado bf again and perfect. It is magical for me. Such an awesome balance of macros.

Thanks for thinking of me. I loved it !!

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm becoming an avocado fan. I had one every evening during the week, except Tuesday, and my fbgs have been in the 5s every day except Wednesday (6.3). It could be a coincidence and I will continue to research.

Reactions: ickihun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm becoming an avocado fan. I had one every evening during the week, except Tuesday, and my fbgs have been in the 5s every day except Wednesday (6.3). It could be a coincidence and I will continue to research.
I don't think it's a coincidence! That is why it's my bf. Sets me up for a great bs day. I only take 1/2 unit with half an avocado. I probably wouldn't need any insulin if it weren't for the morning rise. I also split the other half with lunch and dinner. Keeps me from rising and dropping. Miraculous and so very good for us. I used to make it a bunch of different ways. Now I just pop it out of the skin and some sea salt. Sometimes some basil!
They are like children and need nurturing but if I put them in the fridge right when they have just a little give they last for over a week. I generally have a dozen incubating at all times. Haha.
I've often said they're as important to me as insulin. Medicinal! Good thing I love them!

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's a coincidence! That is why it's my bf. Sets me up for a great bs day. I only take 1/2 unit with half an avocado. I probably wouldn't need any insulin if it weren't for the morning rise. I also split the other half with lunch and dinner. Keeps me from rising and dropping. Miraculous and so very good for us. I used to make it a bunch of different ways. Now I just pop it out of the skin and some sea salt. Sometimes some basil!
They are like children and need nurturing but if I put them in the fridge right when they have just a little give they last for over a week. I generally have a dozen incubating at all times. Haha.
I've often said they're as important to me as insulin. Medicinal! Good thing I love them!
That's my thought!! Just need to figure out how to do it haha

And my screen saver! I stinking love it

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would be very interested to see if that trend continued @Prem51. They are an amazing source of so many things. Hope it works for you.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a big avocado fan also and eat one nearly every day. I struggle to keep weight on and I do believe they help me do that.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a big avocado fan also and eat one nearly every day. I struggle to keep weight on and I do believe they help me do that.
I don't think it does anything to my weight one way or another. It's my main fat source
Maybe it does if I don't eat it. Then I'm always hungry somid eat and gain.

Jo123

Haha, sitting here feeling a bit sorry for myself and that picture made me lol!
Thanks for posting Avocado sevenfold.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too - thanks to Kristin's brilliant "sales pitch" around the site, I decided to give them a try, and haven't looked back since :happy:
YAY!!! What do you find so good? Hunger? Bs better? Cholesterol? It's everything to me.
Just curious.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
YAY!!! What do you find so good? Hunger? Bs better? Cholesterol? It's everything to me.
Just curious.

I find they help with several things; they give me a lot of the healthy fat that keeps hunger at bay and keep BS on a reasonably even keel, don't know about lipids or other stuff, coz GP will only test once a year, but mostly I just love the smooth creamy richness as it slides down - gorgeous !

ps: sometimes I'll just have a small avocado by itself for lunch - great for the weight loss targets

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My tryglicerides and LDL went down and HDL UP. I was ravenously hungry for 50 years. Not ever really hungry anymore but I like to eat.

Just had baby shrimp, chunked avocado with basil. Tid bits of celery and onion drizzled with basil olive oil. I could eat it everyday

Finding a suitable bf was / is the hardest for me. If I mess up bf and spike the whole day is a disaster. Avocado fuels me and keeps bs lower than anything else. Lasting over 4 hours without food was unheard of for me. Now it's just simple.

So happy others are enjoying it!!! Who would have guessed? And such an amazingly healthy fat.

I'll be curious how your lipid panel comes out.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the way you eat, and often wish I could live as easily as you seem to - you're so well organised, and the meals you describe sound delicious & so simple.
I don't usually have breakfast, so my body is used to not having food in the mornings. But in recent years, by midday I was usually starving & ready for my filled bread rolls for lunch. When I decided to start low carb eating, bread was off the menu & I had to find something else, and found the exact right thing in avocados. I too find it very satisfying and keeps me full all afternoon, though even with the avocado, I usually eat plenty of salads and veges, but only have small amounts of meat or fish.

Actually I don't worry too much about my cholesterol any more, because the info I get is pretty meaningless nowadays, at least it is to me. The problem I have (and I think probably others in the UK may find the same) is that my GP no longer provides a breakdown of HDL/LDL/Trigs - all I get is one number. Last November it was 5.2 which GP was happy with, as she said they 'look for it to be around 5'. About 6 months previous to that it was 5.7, so has reduced a little. I have seen elsewhere that it should be 4 or below, so I'm not too sure what it's supposed to be, or maybe it is related to age or local targets set by the practice. If it keeps going down then I guess something's going right; it'll be at least November again before I find out if that's true or not. I'll be interested myself to know whether there has been any further reduction.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the way you eat, and often wish I could live as easily as you seem to - you're so well organised, and the meals you describe sound delicious & so simple.
I don't usually have breakfast, so my body is used to not having food in the mornings. But in recent years, by midday I was usually starving & ready for my filled bread rolls for lunch. When I decided to start low carb eating, bread was off the menu & I had to find something else, and found the exact right thing in avocados. I too find it very satisfying and keeps me full all afternoon, though even with the avocado, I usually eat plenty of salads and veges, but only have small amounts of meat or fish.

Actually I don't worry too much about my cholesterol any more, because the info I get is pretty meaningless nowadays, at least it is to me. The problem I have (and I think probably others in the UK may find the same) is that my GP no longer provides a breakdown of HDL/LDL/Trigs - all I get is one number. Last November it was 5.2 which GP was happy with, as she said they 'look for it to be around 5'. About 6 months previous to that it was 5.7, so has reduced a little. I have seen elsewhere that it should be 4 or below, so I'm not too sure what it's supposed to be, or maybe it is related to age or local targets set by the practice. If it keeps going down then I guess something's going right; it'll be at least November again before I find out if that's true or not. I'll be interested myself to know whether there has been any further reduction.
When I was type 2 I fasted until after noon as well. For some reason I can't do that now. My bs keeps rising even with additional insulin so the avocado stops that. I just eat about 2 oz at around 8 and then part of lunch at noon and part at three. My basal insulin as no where to be seen after I wake up as it's such a asmall dose so taking some insulin every three hours keeps me steady.

I don't worry about cholesterol either but we do get the breakdown so I run my ratios and they are all ideal. They improved with the avocado to my pleasant surprise and they weren't bad to begin with

My meals are very simple but very fresh. Cooking used to be my hobby so I know how to alter things to taste great without all the fuss of cooking and cleaning it up all the time. Too much time in the kitchen. The best thing I learned to do was to batch cook proteins like chicken, turkey, rare lamb and beef, salmon and shrimp. Then a stock of canned tuna and salmon. I then freeze in MY portion sized bags of about two ounces. I always have loads of options to defrost for lunch. Then at lunch I take something out for dinner. I defrost in cold water as to not cook it again. I havve celery and onion all chopped , radishes, and of course lettuce. Then fresh or frozen other veg. All I have to do is assemble and add herbs or sauces for flavor.

As for sandwich fillings, have you ever used lettuce wraps? All sauces and proteins can go on there. If it's peanut butter then just a spoon haha. You can smash avocado on it too! There's always a place for avocado!!
I love lettuce wraps with egg, chicken, turkey and mayo salads. Believe it or not a crumbled burger with tomato onion mushroom and mayo with mustard is to die for. I'm getting the impression you don't eat red meat? I love some but in small quantities, as with all my protein.

Sounds like you're doing great. !! I wish I could digest more veg. I love them, all of them.