For Kristin

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too - thanks to Kristin's brilliant "sales pitch" around the site, I decided to give them a try, and haven't looked back since :happy:
I wonder how many others have been converted to avocados by Kristin. I know if I had not already loved them before diabetes I think she would have convinced me about them

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All your fault then, I'm paying $2.99 Canadian dollars for a large organic Hass avocado here.:arghh:
Avocado is on the clean 15. No need for organic !! All your foodnis expensive if I rememeber. I was paying $2.29 but dropping. I don't care, cheaper than insulin lol. And just as medicinal

Hotpepper20000

I know it's not a necessity to buy organic. We don't always have the non organic Hass avacodo. I enjoy them better then the smaller ones.
Yes there is very little local food in the middle of January here so we need to import our food.
I have a large veggie garden and a cold room so that helps.
I freeze and can a lot . But avacodo doesn't grow in my garden.
Oh well, just buy a few less cappuccinos.:arghh:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's not a necessity to buy organic. We don't always have the non organic Hass avacodo. I enjoy them better then the smaller ones.
Yes there is very little local food in the middle of January here so we need to import our food.
I have a large veggie garden and a cold room so that helps.
I freeze and can a lot . But avacodo doesn't grow in my garden.
Oh well, just buy a few less cappuccinos.:arghh:
Haha. After my own heart! Bought a nespresso coffee maker. Better than any coffee house coffee. Not cheap but cheaper.

I'm with you. The bigger the better. Organic is too small for me.

When my daughter and future SIL ( now hubby ) came to visit in November they were $4 each and we aLl wanted one a day. I was about to file bankruptcy. Lol.

I posted on another thread if I eat egg, chicken, turkey salad with mayo and no avocado my bs spikes fast and doesn't come down. Add 1/4 avocado and I am perfectLy stable. Medicinal.

Reactions: Prem51

Hotpepper20000

Haha. After my own heart! Bought a nespresso coffee maker. Better than any coffee house coffee. Not cheap but cheaper.

I'm with you. The bigger the better. Organic is too small for me.

When my daughter and future SIL ( now hubby ) came to visit in November they were $4 each and we aLl wanted one a day. I was about to file bankruptcy. Lol.

I posted on another thread if I eat egg, chicken, turkey salad with mayo and no avocado my bs spikes fast and doesn't come down. Add 1/4 avocado and I am perfectLy stable. Medicinal.
Mr Hot pepper doesn't eat them so I can afford one a day.

Here is a recipe that covers all my favourite food.
http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2017/06/breakfast-scramble-stuffed-avocado/

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was type 2 I fasted until after noon as well. For some reason I can't do that now. My bs keeps rising even with additional insulin so the avocado stops that. I just eat about 2 oz at around 8 and then part of lunch at noon and part at three. My basal insulin as no where to be seen after I wake up as it's such a asmall dose so taking some insulin every three hours keeps me steady.

I don't worry about cholesterol either but we do get the breakdown so I run my ratios and they are all ideal. They improved with the avocado to my pleasant surprise and they weren't bad to begin with

My meals are very simple but very fresh. Cooking used to be my hobby so I know how to alter things to taste great without all the fuss of cooking and cleaning it up all the time. Too much time in the kitchen. The best thing I learned to do was to batch cook proteins like chicken, turkey, rare lamb and beef, salmon and shrimp. Then a stock of canned tuna and salmon. I then freeze in MY portion sized bags of about two ounces. I always have loads of options to defrost for lunch. Then at lunch I take something out for dinner. I defrost in cold water as to not cook it again. I havve celery and onion all chopped , radishes, and of course lettuce. Then fresh or frozen other veg. All I have to do is assemble and add herbs or sauces for flavor.

As for sandwich fillings, have you ever used lettuce wraps? All sauces and proteins can go on there. If it's peanut butter then just a spoon haha. You can smash avocado on it too! There's always a place for avocado!!
I love lettuce wraps with egg, chicken, turkey and mayo salads. Believe it or not a crumbled burger with tomato onion mushroom and mayo with mustard is to die for. I'm getting the impression you don't eat red meat? I love some but in small quantities, as with all my protein.

Sounds like you're doing great. !! I wish I could digest more veg. I love them, all of them.

Hi again,
Thanks so much for the encouragement - and the practical advice! I've never really been interested in food or cooking, and having lived alone for many years, & working long hours, I've sort of got into a routine of a few basic meals that are quick and easy. I don't tend to batch cook, but I buy larger family packs, split and freeze, then defrost & grill as required. You're right about not liking much red meat, I usually have turkey or chicken, with some pork (which I regard as 'pink'). Red meat only about once a month, if that. I'm retired now for a few years, so there's no excuse really, but habits tend to stick with you - and I'm still not much interested in cooking !

I don't know about doing great, but I hope I'm slowly making a little progress, even if my numbers are a bit higher and more erractic than I would like; they vary between high 5s and the 6s, sometimes even into the 7s. I want them in the mid-low 5s all the time. At the minute I'm experimenting with various items, adding in, reducing or leaving out, to see if that has any benefit. No doubt I shall get there in the end.

Btw - love the new avatar; suits you perfectly. Loved the old one as well, that one also suited, so perhaps you can switch between the two, as the mood takes you. :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,
Thanks so much for the encouragement - and the practical advice! I've never really been interested in food or cooking, and having lived alone for many years, & working long hours, I've sort of got into a routine of a few basic meals that are quick and easy. I don't tend to batch cook, but I buy larger family packs, split and freeze, then defrost & grill as required. You're right about not liking much red meat, I usually have turkey or chicken, with some pork (which I regard as 'pink'). Red meat only about once a month, if that. I'm retired now for a few years, so there's no excuse really, but habits tend to stick with you - and I'm still not much interested in cooking !

I don't know about doing great, but I hope I'm slowly making a little progress, even if my numbers are a bit higher and more erractic than I would like; they vary between high 5s and the 6s, sometimes even into the 7s. I want them in the mid-low 5s all the time. At the minute I'm experimenting with various items, adding in, reducing or leaving out, to see if that has any benefit. No doubt I shall get there in the end.

Btw - love the new avatar; suits you perfectly. Loved the old one as well, that one also suited, so perhaps you can switch between the two, as the mood takes you. :D
Hey there!

You don't have to batch cook. I'd just rather not fire up the grill everynignt haha. I have no problem with cold protein, in fact much prefer it. Just not cold white fish like cod or white trout. I surely don't enjoy cooking like I used to but know how to simplify everything and no need for 80 ingredients and reductions etc. The last thing I invented was a gravy at thanksgiving and the only carbs were in mushrooms asa that was the base and thickener. It really was great but took me an entire cocktail to get it right. Haha. We were eating it with a spoon. It's a great soup base too.
Maybe you just have to alter some foods or portions in your go-to meals. Surprisingly lettuce raises me far higher than it should. Some say mushrooms. It's all personal. Are you testing after meals? How low carb are you? It doesn't seem like you're too far from your goals so just a little tweaking might be in order. Like the exchange of one veg for another or reducing portions of something and adding something different. Even eating smaller meals 4 times a day rather than two bigger ones. It's a nasty disease for most of us but there are often ways to tweak things to get to where you want to be.
I often make a chopped salad with no lettuce. Chopped chicken or turkey ( or whatever) chopped avocado, onion, celery, some herbs and drizzle with olive oil. It would fit into a one cup measuring cup or maybe even less. Full of nutrition and satietimg. Or I'll chop asparagus and brussel sprouts. I don't mind cooked cold veggies in the least. Then I split that meal at noon and three. As you know just avocado bf but dinner is a bit larger. About the size of my lunch but not split. Too much food in my stomach is never good for me.
Often I'm eating the same foods just rearreanging the presentation haha. I am a weird one in that I have a bit of a dinnerware feddish. I buy different plates, bowls, glasses as they too make my food look different. I know, I'm weird. Keeps me from feeling backed into a corner. I do eat the same amount of protein, fat and carbs at each meal but I use different foods.
I think for you you just have to change some macros around. I forgot, are you also looking to lose weight ? How high/low are your carbs? Do you know how much protein you eat? Are you eating enough fat? Are you hungry often?
Not to fear, it takes awhile to get it all right.

I like the new avatar too. Made me laugh when I saw it in larger form. Looks a little funky small. I'll probably be switching back or looking for a new one.

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly my weight had stalled for the past few months, which has been a bit disheartening. Might be my fault, I suppose, because whilst I keep records of meals, and test pre and post at least one meal a day, I haven't been actively recording carbs, calories, protein (except weight), fats. I think I have about 80g carbs a day, a lot of that from the milk in my tea/coffee. Tried doing without, but I just don't like it. I figure life's short enough without being miserable, so I shall just carry on having the milk. I suspect I may not eat enough fats though, coz nothing in the world would induce me to eat chicken skin, for example, & I don't much like the fat on belly pork. Funnily enough, I love the fat on lamb cutlets (crispy), and some pork chops (also crispy). It's the thick, slimy globs of fat that I can't take - :yuck:

I want to lose another 14lbs if possible (10st now), but more than that, I want to lose the stomach and belly fat. That's my target for now, so in one way I don't mind if the 14lbs just gets re-distributed! My visceral fat is much too high for my liking, and the belly fat is just ugly; suspect it's the dairy that's done that for me. Guess I shall have to pay a bit more attention to actually counting the carbs, if nothing else, as well as play around with amounts. I'm never really hungry but often in the late evening I get 'peckish'; again not hungry, but just get the munchies. Often end up with couple handfuls of nuts, or bag of crackling - probably too many calories!

Reminds me of my school report: Must try harder :rolleyes:

ps: originally I made a silly joke but the more I think about it, I remember that things ok when said face to face might be different in writing - I changed it so that it's not always there as a reminder. Sorry if you already read it, didn't mean any offence, truely.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha!! Wish I could scream that from the rooftop! I'm sure it would even help prevent or delay diabetes in non diabetics.
Best health food ever and my blood work proves it. I feel bad for people who don't like it but it's so versatile I would think there would be a way. If it's the texture a veggies smoothie should help that.
Thanks for the link. I've read many similar. Gotta get my avocado on!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly my weight had stalled for the past few months, which has been a bit disheartening. Might be my fault, I suppose, because whilst I keep records of meals, and test pre and post at least one meal a day, I haven't been actively recording carbs, calories, protein (except weight), fats. I think I have about 80g carbs a day, a lot of that from the milk in my tea/coffee. Tried doing without, but I just don't like it. I figure life's short enough without being miserable, so I shall just carry on having the milk. I suspect I may not eat enough fats though, coz nothing in the world would induce me to eat chicken skin, for example, & I don't much like the fat on belly pork. Funnily enough, I love the fat on lamb cutlets (crispy), and some pork chops (also crispy). It's the thick, slimy globs of fat that I can't take - :yuck:

I want to lose another 14lbs if possible (10st now), but more than that, I want to lose the stomach and belly fat. That's my target for now, so in one way I don't mind if the 14lbs just gets re-distributed! My visceral fat is much too high for my liking, and the belly fat is just ugly; suspect it's the dairy that's done that for me. Guess I shall have to pay a bit more attention to actually counting the carbs, if nothing else, as well as play around with amounts. I'm never really hungry but often in the late evening I get 'peckish'; again not hungry, but just get the munchies. Often end up with couple handfuls of nuts, or bag of crackling - probably too many calories!

Reminds me of my school report: Must try harder :rolleyes:

ps: originally I made a silly joke but the more I think about it, I remember that things ok when said face to face might be different in writing - I changed it so that it's not always there as a reminder. Sorry if you already read it, didn't mean any offence, truely.
I didn't see your joke but I have a sense of humor so I'm sure it was fine

Have you tried heavy cream instead of milk?

I would gain loads of weight with 80 carbs. Do you eat grains and starch? It's not always the calories per se but where the calories come from. When people want to gain weight they add dairy, grains, starch, carbs, nuts. So stands to reason if you want to loose weight eliminate them.

I just developed a taste for white wine and it's raising my bs. Like you said, have to enjoy life too so for now at least I'll figure out how to bolus for it. It's so refreshing in the warm weather! There is life with diabetes, we just have to find balance.

And I don't like the globs of fat either. Even cutting it off boneless skinless chicken before cooking grosses me out. I could eat The fat off a lamb chop or steak just fine but it makes me very insulin resistant so I don't. It's good without it so no need. I can however eat crispy skin on wings with dip but they too spike me and keep me much higher much longer. That being said if I saw globs of fat under the skin or that stringy stuff I'd stop eating it immediately!!! Probably lose the craving for a long time after that!

I also like munching on something in the evening. I eat celery or some veggies. Do t want a full stomach before bed or I don't sleep but it usually needs something

Hotpepper20000

Ha!! Wish I could scream that from the rooftop! I'm sure it would even help prevent or delay diabetes in non diabetics.
Best health food ever and my blood work proves it. I feel bad for people who don't like it but it's so versatile I would think there would be a way. If it's the texture a veggies smoothie should help that.
Thanks for the link. I've read many similar. Gotta get my avocado on!!
I thought of you when it pop up on my Pinterest feed. Lol
Mr Hotpepper is enjoying more these days now too.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought of you when it pop up on my Pinterest feed. Lol
Mr Hotpepper is enjoying more these days now too.
I'm too selfish to share haha. I do when I have excess but anything under 10 is not excess
I do like to bust a new one open for bf so if there's too much left for dinner I do toss him a wedge. I buy the biggest I can.