ANNOYING PEOPLE

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Has anybody had the same experience of annoying persistent people? Such as... When people see what you eat, the reaction from them is "Ohhh just have one piece of cake, it won't hurt" or when out having a meal at their home or with them at a restaurant some will say "OMG is that all you are having? What no potatoes, just veg, and meat what is the point in eating out?" another is...If you do have just one piece of cake is "Are you sure that you should have that?" Even though you may not have had anything sweet for a month LOL The more annoying ones to me are the people who say "Oh go on have that piece of cake it won't hurt" especially when I am so determined to lower my BG. I know some of these same people do not alway's understand, but it is the persistence of them which annoy's me. Has anybody else had this? Or should I get new friends? LOL

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, there is a lot of ignorance about diet around us.
Yes, the comments can be annoying but I try (and some times it is very trying) to smile sweetly and move on to another topic of conversation.
The other option is to try to educate but I fear I would become a food bore to the people who don't want to understand.
I am a few very good friends, who want to understand but they ask the question rather than make the judgemental statement.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure we've all had this at one time or another, but they get tired of it and soon stop. (especially when they see how much weight we have lost and how healthy we look)

My worst one was my best friend trying to persuade me to have some honey on the grounds it is so good for us and is all natural sugar so can't possibly do you any harm. She is still my best friend!

Reactions: miszu and AloeSvea

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am toying with the response of "what i choose put in my mouth is none of your business" lol

I am so sorry but you have me in fits of laughter here with your reply...Must be my dirty mind :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: Odin004

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Has anybody had the same experience of annoying persistent people? Such as... When people see what you eat, the reaction from them is "Ohhh just have one piece of cake, it won't hurt" or when out having a meal at their home or with them at a restaurant some will say "OMG is that all you are having? What no potatoes, just veg, and meat what is the point in eating out?" another is...If you do have just one piece of cake is "Are you sure that you should have that?" Even though you may not have had anything sweet for a month LOL The more annoying ones to me are the people who say "Oh go on have that piece of cake it won't hurt" especially when I am so determined to lower my BG. I know some of these same people do not alway's understand, but it is the persistence of them which annoy's me. Has anybody else had this? Or should I get new friends? LOL
Yes! I have had fools tell me, 'you can have cake and sweets, just double up on the insulin to cover it!' That stunt landed me in hospital.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid only those who have diabetes can understand it so we need to be tolerate with those who don't.

Reactions: derry60

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes! I have had fools tell me, 'you can have cake and sweets, just double up on the insulin to cover it!' That stunt landed me in hospital.

OMG that is awful. Some people really do not seem to understand. I can understand that, but when you try to tell them and they are not really listening to the importance of what you are saying, that is when it becomes a tad annoying. I did ask one of my friends "Put it this way if you had a child who was either Diabetic or Pre-Diabetic, would you say "Oh go on have that cake it will be fine?" The reply from her was "I get your point, no I wouldn't"

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I have told this story many times and you have given me the chance to tell it again. I held a barbecue here and the cook made a burger in a bun and said that one would not hurt me. When I said I was worried about the bun everybody laughed.

Reactions: AloeSvea

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
OMG that is awful. Some people really do not seem to understand. I can understand that, but when you try to tell them and they are not really listening to the importance of what you are saying, that is when it becomes a tad annoying. I did ask one of my friends "Put it this way if you had a child who was either Diabetic or Pre-Diabetic, would you say "Oh go on have that cake it will be fine?" The reply from her was "I get your point, no I wouldn't"
At work one day I overheard a conversation about my diabetes. One person asked the other if she knew what to do if I had a hypo. She replied, "that's easy, I give him a shot of insulin!" I spent the next two minutes beating my head against the wall.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I am afraid only those who have diabetes can understand it so we need to be tolerate with those who don't.
I can understand diabetes being a mystery to non diabetics, but it can have disastrous consequences. I have heard tales of diabetics in a serious hypo, and a well meaning bystander gave them a huge dose of insulin. One of them was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. This was told to me by a nurse. Very scary!!

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I completely get your point - isn't it funny how everyone becomes an impromptu dietician? As a diabetic AND a vegetarian, I get these comments two-fold. The vegetarian issue is usually the first to arise when I'm at dinner - when people realise I'm not eating meat, I get comments like "what, not even a little bit?". I politely divert this kind of question - but then, people try to be helpful, and might ask if I'd like more potatoes, as I'm not having the meat - I then explain that I'm a type 1 diabetic, and you see a veil of total and utter confusion cross their little faces. On top of it all, I prefer a low-carb diet - and when I explain this, I think it really does finish people off - I may as well be an alien!

Last edited:

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can understand diabetes being a mystery to non diabetics, but it can have disastrous consequences. I have heard tales of diabetics in a serious hypo, and a well meaning bystander gave them a huge dose of insulin. One of them was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. This was told to me by a nurse. Very scary!!

Completely agree - a little bit of information is a terrible thing. People think "diabetic needs insulin" - thus "ill diabetic needs more insulin". Just have to make sure everyone around you knows what to do!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At work one day I overheard a conversation about my diabetes. One person asked the other if she knew what to do if I had a hypo. She replied, "that's easy, I give him a shot of insulin!" I spent the next two minutes beating my head against the wall.
Oh jeepers keep away from her :/

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh jeepers keep away from her :/
I have friends who are very understanding and want to help. I run with a friend who wants to carry some glucose gels when we are together. I was initially embarrassed but now I say they are in my pouch if need be and I appreciate that she cares. Another running pal told me he had had a big stroke 12 months ago - I immidiately (in my head) thought oh I hope he's ok running- falling into the trap . I didn't think he couldn't run just that I would look out for him and he would look out for me I'm sure. I find that the people I exercise with are a lot less patronising than let's say the general public - they all seem to have something be it an injury, heart issue etc so probably understand

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't really understand how a bystander would give someone a shot of insulin do most insulin dependant diabetics carry insulin with them wherever they go