Paramedic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear people, I am diagnosed with type 1, 2 months ago. I am slowly adjusting myself to this. However, I have been trying this entire year to try to go to university to become a paramedic. Now I have read some stuff online stating I cannot become a paramedic as I am type 1. Should I believe this or can I pursue my dream?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lauramooijekind ,

All I know is I encounter a fair few diabetics of all types working in the medical profession. I personally can't see why not!

Hopefully at least my comment will bump up your enqirory..

Wishing you the best of luck!

Reactions: gvintagedrken

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would call the university and ask or call whoever does the hiring for the ambulance service.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are some issues with type 1s and blue light driving. My understanding is that the restrictions on this are easing recently, but there are likely to be specific licence issues to be met. You might want to get in touch with diabetes uk and maybe the college of paramedics to check the position.

D

Deleted member 308541

Now I have read some stuff online stating I cannot become a paramedic as I am type 1. Should I believe this or can I pursue my dream?
If I was you, I would be enquiring from the local ambulance authority in your area what the health requirements are for applying to be a paramedic.

This would be the quickest way of finding out whether it's worth pursuing as a career.

DiabeticCop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear people, I am diagnosed with type 1, 2 months ago. I am slowly adjusting myself to this. However, I have been trying this entire year to try to go to university to become a paramedic. Now I have read some stuff online stating I cannot become a paramedic as I am type 1. Should I believe this or can I pursue my dream?

Hi Laura,

I can’t see it being an issue really. I was able to join the police and complete the response (nee nor) course.

Any questions, please get in touch

Reactions: nicks2cv

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi Laura,

I can’t see it being an issue really. I was able to join the police and complete the response (nee nor) course.

Any questions, please get in touch

Nee nor course.....love it lol

Reactions: DiabeticCop