Earliest morning injections

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My consultants tell me there are many T1's that have to wake up early to take pre corrective injections before getting up....

I have never heard of many doing this..

My regime (cuurently):

Insulatard at 4am
Insulatard at 8am
Also Novorapid at 8am.

3 injections to cope with rises from DP and getting out of bed..

Also on tresiba injection at night.

Is there anybody else on forum that wakes up early (4hours before actually waking) to counteract rises?

My consultants make out that they have lots of patients that have to do this sort of regime...

Just be interested to know of anybody else...

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi donnellysdogs. Its not something I do but a friend of mine sets his alarm for 5am so he can take novoravid for his dp. Seems such a pain! Do your sugars rise a lot if you dont do your 4am?

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultants tell me there are many T1's that have to wake up early to take pre corrective injections before getting up....

My regime (cuurently):

Insulatard at 4am
Insulatard at 8am
Also Novorapid at 8am.

Is there anybody else on forum that wakes up early (4hours before actually waking) to counteract rises?

My consultants make out that they have lots of patients that have to do this sort of regime...

T

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats so much to deal with, ive not heard of this before, but im a 18yrs in diabetic, my consultant told me that its natural that sugar levels can go up by as much as four points as your body awakes

D

Deleted Account

I assume this is in response to your morning liver dump/dawn phenomenon.
I have never done this. However, I used to take a high basal dose and go to bed slightly high (about 8mmol/l) to allow the basal to take care of this dump in the morning.
This has been made easier with a pump which adjusts the basal dose throughout the day.

Reactions: alphabeta

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I'd be surprised if it was lots of patients DD, if these people did have to do this on a nightly basis then surely they'd be better off on a pump, the Consultant could make a strong case for them under the ABCD recommendations (Marked glycaemic excursions/dawn phenomenon & Specific quality of life issues).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'd be surprised if it was lots of patients DD, if these people did have to do this on a nightly basis then surely they'd be better off on a pump, the Consultant could make a strong case for them under the ABCD recommendations (Marked glycaemic excursions/dawn phenomenon & Specific quality of life issues).

Thats what I thought...last consultant also said long termers (over 30 years) get probs with fluctuations.. Never heard of that either to be honest..

If I dont have jab at 4am (tried this morn) it rises from a nice 5.3 to 11.6 by 8am if I then dont do jabs it'll be 20's by 11/12 noon.

As cannulas not work any more for me and pump a definite no no, then 4am start is my only option (hibby worls permanent late shifts and rarely sleep before 1am.. so this really is so annoying. All but tresiba throws me low over night.. but tresiba just cant cope with rises from 4am.

Cheeses me off when I actually dont know of anybody else that experiences this.

Glad now to hear of 1 person dosing at 5am!!

Makes ut quite difficult for operations, and boy I've had a few these last couple years and more to follow.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could the hibby late shifts be coursing the problem by disturbing your sleep patterns? (It can take a long time for our body to get back into a good sleep pattern after the reasons for a bad pattern has been removed.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
He done late shifts for a very long time... so when diabetes should fit in to our lives I dont particularly want to go to bed without him and then just be disturbed anyway... so the worst part is 4am waking and then sometimes brain just is not awake and functioning or it wakes and I'm then awake... if I want to get up because I'm awake then I have to inject... and then if I found myself tired I couldnt go back to bed cos I've taken my waking dose as well and will go hypo.
So total frustration. When mornings are dark the livht has to go on to inject so hubby disturbed as well.

Just wish there was an alternative to the 4am waking or just to hear that somebody else has to do it would be good!! If you know what I mean..

I know on pump my basal rate shot up from .33 before 4am to 1.25 starting 4am and the cgm confirms I have to do it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Could the hibby late shifts be coursing the problem by disturbing your sleep patterns? (It can take a long time for our body to get back into a good sleep pattern after the reasons for a bad pattern has been removed.)

Same with morning shifts.. I have to inject about 4 hrs before getting up.... if I have hosp appts and early starts to get to appts its hell... prefer to get hotel the night before now..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thats what I thought...last consultant also said long termers (over 30 years) get probs with fluctuations.. Never heard of that either to be honest..

They are probably right, but at the same time longevity brings knowledge & experience where you learn to address those fluctuations.

If I dont have jab at 4am (tried this morn) it rises from a nice 5.3 to 11.6 by 8am if I then dont do jabs it'll be 20's by 11/12 noon.

That is a steep climb DD, pity you had issues with the cannula's as waking at 4am to inject must be so frustrating and tiring. Hope you find a solution to the problem soon.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No answers.... just got to keep doing it!! Totally frustrated never to get a complete night sleep!! Hey ho..,

Maz59

I always used to get dp..wake at 2.30 and my sugar would be over 6 but by the time I got up at 7 it would be over 11..used to take humulin twice a day plus metformin my nurse suggested I change to injecting at every meal time with novorapid and a night time one of lantus..next time I go she's gonna talk to me about the carb counting thing..but I googled the carb thing and started to teach myself about it..I do 1:10..best thing I ever did..(changing the insulin and starting to count the carbs)

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats so much to deal with, ive not heard of this before, but im a 18yrs in diabetic, my consultant told me that its natural that sugar levels can go up by as much as four points as your body awakes

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My regime (cuurently):

Insulatard at 4am
Insulatard at 8am
Also Novorapid at 8am.

Wouldnt condone this but a colleague of mine states they have the same problem... to off set the rise they say they take a couple of 'Hott Toddies' with half a spoon of sugar just before bed... says they still get DP but no where near as bad and is quite managable... and no longer have to wake at 3 am to inject as the alcohol curbs the liver dump to managable levels!!??!! -

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wouldnt condone this but a colleague of mine states they have the same problem... to off set the rise they say they take a couple of 'Hott Toddies' with half a spoon of sugar just before bed... says they still get DP but no where near as bad and is quite managable... and no longer have to wake at 3 am to inject as the alcohol curbs the liver dump to managable levels!!??!! -

Love it, but really cant do alchohol... am really looking in to epigenetic aspects of cancer improvements and alchohol is definitely not going to help the cancer!!
I wish-lol...

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have my pump basal rate set a lot higher from 4am to 10am to deal with DP if I didn't as soon as I wake up my sugars wud start to climb. I even have to bolus for the tea I drink first thing to stop my sugars going mental from that one cup of tea (don't need to bolus for tea at any other time of the day)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have my pump basal rate set a lot higher from 4am to 10am to deal with DP if I didn't as soon as I wake up my sugars wud start to climb. I even have to bolus for the tea I drink first thing to stop my sugars going mental from that one cup of tea (don't need to bolus for tea at any other time of the day)

I used to but after 5 years brilliant use I cant tolerate cannulas and them blocking. Not just occasionally. The hosp mentioned me having the 670 with sensor when its available in UK but after I asked how the cannula problem could be overcome they agreed basically that the algorythims of the insulin and glucose wouldnt be able to cope. So MDI is only option.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have to do a third levemir shot at 1.30am for my daughter to help stop the morning rise. Prior to this we were giving novorapid at 5am so she didn't have a rapid morning rise. We're normally up several other times a night sorting her blood sugars anyway!