Can't sleep !

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently diagnosed type II and have been strictly controlling my carbs - weight dropping off and eventually BS numbers coming down (took almost a month for anything to really happen) Anyway... I have sooooo much energy, which is great during the day, literally getting so much done, but the problem is I can't sleep at night as I'm just not tired ! Any ideas ? have tried soothing music and camomile tea, so far nothing. Just keep finding myself giving up at about 3 am and and getting up for an hour or so. Would really like to be able to get to sleep at a decent time.

Reactions: Joan561

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If it's any help to you? I once sat in on a session with a sort of "sleep therapist" with an ex.. (She had the issue.)
I had no trouble nodding off during the session, but what I did pick up (& I roughly quote.) "the bedroom is for sleep."
What this guy meant was no TVs, books, radios, or phones/handheld devices in the bedroom for that matter.. You do all that stuff elsewhere in the house..
Of course my ex also had an issue with amphetamines, which probably didn't help either...?

Still. I took this advice.! I'm sat in my conservatory with an iPad. :)

Reactions: zand and pleinster

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
An ounce of chilled vodka ( spirits of choice ) or a bit of wine helps me

If you don't drink, don't start

Reactions: ickihun

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Surge! Ain't it crazy? Don't you wish it happened at 12pm instead?

I play mindless games and let my brain unwind a little. I'm not consciously thinking about anything while I play them, I just let my mind drift wherever it wants and chill out. Eventually I come down a bit and then I can sleep.

Since joining this (wonderful) forum, I'm finding ending my day with a blog entry about my day really helps me to score a line under things, almost like mentally tidying up, which gives me a sense of the day being complete and, therefore, I am able to sleep with nothing left to achieve until tomorrow.

@Jaylee 's advice was also very good - the bedroom is for sleeping. Don't lie there waiting to sleep - don't read or keep your phone or tablet by the bed. Get up, take a warm bath (we get sleepy when our temperatures drop) and have a warm drink. And make sure you get up rigidly at the same time the following morning, no matter how much or little sleep you've had.

You've got to get all Drill Sarge on your body clock and force it back into rhythm.

Sweet dreams!

Sock x

Reactions: ickihun

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Recently diagnosed type II and have been strictly controlling my carbs - weight dropping off and eventually BS numbers coming down (took almost a month for anything to really happen) Anyway... I have sooooo much energy, which is great during the day, literally getting so much done, but the problem is I can't sleep at night as I'm just not tired ! Any ideas ? have tried soothing music and camomile tea, so far nothing. Just keep finding myself giving up at about 3 am and and getting up for an hour or so. Would really like to be able to get to sleep at a decent time.
Welcome to the forum @charliebarker. I go through this myself many times, and it is a real pain. For me, it appears to be cyclic and resolves itself. However for you it nay be something a bit more specific. Get a clinical review to assess the reason for this problem. Best to rule out any serious problems.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am not newly diagnosed and have always had trouble sleeping, my mum was the same, but my dad's head would hit the pillow and that was him asleep. I have tried so many things, but not sleeping tablets. So some helpful members on here suggested a plant in the bedroom that could help or aid rest and sleep. I recently bought a lavender plant, I wouldn't say it's 100%, but having it near my bedside, I think is helping my thought process.
/dailyhealthpost.com/put-these-10-air-purifying-plants-next-to-your-bed-for-better-sleep/ Good luck.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

If it's any help to you? I once sat in on a session with a sort of "sleep therapist" with an ex.. (She had the issue.)
I had no trouble nodding off during the session, but what I did pick up (& I roughly quote.) "the bedroom is for sleep."
What this guy meant was no TVs, books, radios, or phones/handheld devices in the bedroom for that matter.. You do all that stuff elsewhere in the house..
Of course my ex also had an issue with amphetamines, which probably didn't help either...?

Still. I took this advice.! I'm sat in my conservatory with an iPad. :)
Thanks! I"ve always had a bedroom that's just for sleep, so that's not it - but thanks for your support !

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Surge! Ain't it crazy? Don't you wish it happened at 12pm instead?

I play mindless games and let my brain unwind a little. I'm not consciously thinking about anything while I play them, I just let my mind drift wherever it wants and chill out. Eventually I come down a bit and then I can sleep.

Since joining this (wonderful) forum, I'm finding ending my day with a blog entry about my day really helps me to score a line under things, almost like mentally tidying up, which gives me a sense of the day being complete and, therefore, I am able to sleep with nothing left to achieve until tomorrow.

@Jaylee 's advice was also very good - the bedroom is for sleeping. Don't lie there waiting to sleep - don't read or keep your phone or tablet by the bed. Get up, take a warm bath (we get sleepy when our temperatures drop) and have a warm drink. And make sure you get up rigidly at the same time the following morning, no matter how much or little sleep you've had.

You've got to get all Drill Sarge on your body clock and force it back into rhythm.

Sweet dreams!

Sock x
Good idea about forcing my body clock into submission - I'll try setting my alarm. (My bedroom is a technology free zone already)

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @charliebarker. I go through this myself many times, and it is a real pain. For me, it appears to be cyclic and resolves itself. However for you it nay be something a bit more specific. Get a clinical review to assess the reason for this problem. Best to rule out any serious problems.
Thanks!
I am not newly diagnosed and have always had trouble sleeping, my mum was the same, but my dad's head would hit the pillow and that was him asleep. I have tried so many things, but not sleeping tablets. So some helpful members on here suggested a plant in the bedroom that could help or aid rest and sleep. I recently bought a lavender plant, I wouldn't say it's 100%, but having it near my bedside, I think is helping my thought process.
/dailyhealthpost.com/put-these-10-air-purifying-plants-next-to-your-bed-for-better-sleep/ Good luck.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Allergic to lavender but will totes check out the website, thanks!

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted Account

The great suggestions so far have been related to mental relaxation.
You say you have lots of energy during the day - does this give you the energy for some vigorous exercise? A long walk or a run may help to tire you out.

The other thing to consider is the heat - this is keeping many of us awake at the moment.

Finally, the one that is easier to say than do is "don't stress about it". Stressing about not sleeping is likely to keep your mind active and harder to sleep.

Good luck.

Reactions: charliebarker

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
ive had trouble sleeping for years, ive had various tablets off the dr that worked for a while then stopped working (antdepressants not sleeping pills) kalms night work well but they stink, some say magnesium is good for sleep but its never helps me, valerian helps, i also buy melatonin from ebay and 1 mg made me sleep like a baby, im just weaning off mirtazapine (anti depressant) it knocks me out but it makes so hungry, will probably go back on melatonin

Reactions: charliebarker

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read quite a few things on this.
You may find these useful:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/482729-i-cant-sleep-on-a-low-carb-diet/

https://paleoleap.com/insomnia-and-paleo-diet/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...iet/201411/chasing-away-insomnia-bowl-oatmeal

In my case, cutting out all caffeine (including the teensy little amounts in decaff tea) did the trick. Although it broke my heart to give up even the decaff, it made a huge difference.

Thanks for the articles - really useful. I will try cutting down my beautiful a caffeine habit too ! (although I rarely have coffee r tea after midday)

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced this when I first went very low carb. My son described me as manic and I was certainly on a high. One night I was cleaning the kitchen at 11pm with great enthusiasm. As time has gone on I am eating a little more carbs, weight is stable and though I am still energetic the kitchen is a lot less clean and I am sleeping better!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just keep finding myself giving up at about 3 am and and getting up for an hour or so. Would really like to be able to get to sleep at a decent time.

It must be so annoying for you.

Try and blank out as much light as possible in the bedroom, blackout curtains are more expensive but worth every penny IMHO, also try reading a book in bed to relax you and put you in a good frame of mind for sleep.

But agree with Helen's post above, just don't stress about not being able to sleep as this will make the problem worse. Good luck and hope you get a restful nights sleep soon.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive had trouble sleeping for years, ive had various tablets off the dr that worked for a while then stopped working (antdepressants not sleeping pills) kalms night work well but they stink, some say magnesium is good for sleep but its never helps me, valerian helps, i also buy melatonin from ebay and 1 mg made me sleep like a baby, im just weaning off mirtazapine (anti depressant) it knocks me out but it makes so hungry, will probably go back on melatonin
thanks for your support - I've heard bad things about melatonin, but I'll check it out again.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be so annoying for you.

Try and blank out as much light as possible in the bedroom, blackout curtains are more expensive but worth every penny IMHO, also try reading a book in bed to relax you and put you in a good frame of mind for sleep.

But agree with Helen's post above, just don't stress about not being able to sleep as this will make the problem worse. Good luck and hope you get a restful nights sleep soon.
thanks for your support !!