covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone. Can I ask your opinion on substituting almond flour for SR flour and then frying it please? I do have some chick pea flour in the house which may be a better idea. The complaints about the marrow harvest have already begun and jokes about courgetti with everything are in full flow. I am about to get my revenge by providing a glut of soup. We have not waded through last winters pumpkin puree yet so I still have a threat or two to go. Anyway whilst wading through the recipes I have found an old one for courgette pakora.

2 courgette, 2 onion a red and a white, red chilli, curry powder, 1 egg, s&p and 100-150 gm SR flour. chop or grate everything, mix and fry. As I recall it was ok. This has to be a good for my low carb diet recipe. Definitely not a treat, cheat or naughty. I never go above 50 carbs pd and aim to keep below 30. Not to bothered about the weight although the dn would probably think I need to lose 10kg if she was asked. I will need to buy some oil if I do make it. Do you think I should? How do you handle the zucchini glut?

Reactions: Snapsy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made courgette chips for lunch today.. peel and cut courgette into chip shapes, pan fried them in goose fat till the edges start to brown then bake them in the oven for about 5 minutes (left mine in for about 15 which may have been a little to long). My mother who is usually veg averse ate all on her plate..

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'd use the chickpea flour.

To handle a courgette glut, pick them small, but unless you have eyes in the back of your head, some may turn to marrows in which case, cut into discs and use as lasagne sheets. Courgette hummus is also nice. http://detoxinista.com/2010/02/raw-hummus/
yumm. I have the ingredients for both those recipes in. So I am going to try the lasagne Wednesday and am going to make the hummus tomorrow. We have had torrential rain over the last few days so I do have 4 modest marrows and a tondo with ambitions to be a football. I do try and check everyday but sometimes I do not get to the lottie and sometimes they hide or become invisible until oomph I have a monster on my hands. Chickpea it is.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I made courgette chips for lunch today.. peel and cut courgette into chip shapes, pan fried them in goose fat till the edges start to brown then bake them in the oven for about 5 minutes (left mine in for about 15 which may have been a little to long). My mother who is usually veg averse ate all on her plate..
That sounds great. I am going to make those but probably use olive oil. If I have bacon fat I may try a few in that. Hubby loves his chicken and chips and says he prefers celeriac chips to chip shop ones. Sadly he did not like my aubergine chips. If he likes courgette ones I expect he can have them several times over the next couple of months in which case we will definitely try the goose fat.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I finished them off in the oven on a tray that I'd cooked bacon on..
Top tip. In that case I shall do them Wednesday with the lasagne. I always do a pack of bacon and a pack of bratwurst along with a batch of eggy muffins when I have the oven on.