Holding my kit during runs

Erintracy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, so I really want to start running but I'm not sure how to hold all my things like my kit, hypo treatments etc. Can anyone give me their tips and recommendations? Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buy a running belt. Should have plenty of room for your phone, keys, test monitor and a few strips and finger pricker along with a mini bag of haribo or whatever your hypo treatment of choice is. That's what running belts are for, carrying stuff while you run.

Reactions: Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Erintracy , for short runs and Parkrun I stuff an old test strip canister with Glucotabs, and shove it and my Libre scanner into my sports bra (I wear Lycra crop top squash-em-in style ones, and they're made up of two layers so the Glucotabs and scanner are snug and tight and safe but not next to skin).

For longer runs I wear a cute little backpack containing Glucotabs, my full testing kit, phone, a snack and a drink.
https://www.nathansports.com/fireball-hydration-backpack-with-double-flasks-5036n
It's designed for on-the-go hydration but I use the little rear pocket for all my gear and put my Libre scanner and Glucotabs in one of the front pockets.

I was given it as a generous gift - it was expensive but there are lots and lots of things like this out there.

But for my more-often-run shorter distances, sports bra every time. I look lumpy as a result but I'm not proud........!

;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @Snapsy . What about us guys?:):):). You paint a lovely picture of a female diabetic runner.
But me, in a sports bra, padded out with tissue paper and test equipment?
It doesn't bear thinking about.
As usual good advice from your good self.
Hope you are getting back to full fitness.

Reactions: deborabaratto

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's less of a bra and more of a clamp, @therower ! And hey, underwear doesn't discriminate - you can wear one too if you like! ;)

Thanks for asking - foot a bit dodge after my last run (seems to be a mechanical issue - immobility but no pain - started in Jan, got better, now it's not that mobile again, grrrrr) but at least the much owwier leg (other side) from my April 10k is now better. I'll get there eventually.........!

:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C . What if I shave my chest and wear a wig?
Planning on a 2 km row in just a thong soon. Apparently according to @Snapsy i can wear what I like. Should make for a bigger sweat patch on the seat.;););)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't Ben Fogle and James Cracknell row the Atlantic wearing nothing, @therower ? Apparently it was to avoid chafing.........

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy . A council run gym, me naked, 53yrs old on a rowing machine. Chaffing is going to be the least of anybody's worries.
:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OMG I think I may have worded the above - erm - slightly without due consideration.......
*coughs*
:bag:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HANG OUT TO ROW !!!!!!! @Snapsy you just won't let this one lie will you.:woot::woot::woot:

You spotted it . Well done.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a 2 litre Karrimor bumbag, which I bought in a sale about 10 years ago. It's plenty big enough for parkrunning, orienteering etc, as it holds keys, some coins /notes in a ziplock bag (for post parkrun coffee or post orienteering beer if on bike, not driving), credit card and / or debit card, parkrun barcode, FRA and British Orienteering membership cards, packet of jelly sweets and fruit puree pouch as hypo treatments, blood glucose meter & insulin pen. I don't carry all items for all runs / events, and can supplemented with a camera and / or small waterproof jacket, both in velcro fixed pouches, which can be attached to belt of bumbag.

For orienteering in forest areas, full body cover (long trousers and long sleeves) is sometimes specified, for protection against brambles, nettles etc. However, there is no "no nakedness" rule like in triathlon transistions, so the places where orienteers park their cars or bikes can be entertaining places. I try to remember that not all parkrunners are orienteers, when changing at tourism parkruns, when not heading home to a shower :)

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With an Animas Vibe pump I don't need a separate CSGM nor (being keto adapted) bulky carb supplements to take on a long, sustained effort. Even with a moderately intense 90' to 120' effort (I did not say fast!), with the right dosing I can get away with scheduled nibbles on half a glucose tablet and still come back with BGLs aligned with CSGM readings 4.4 to 5.8

After disappointments with clipping pump onto running shorts and using a fitbelt for various running, and for bodysurfing just using extra tape, I am very happy with these ...

For running which includes sprinting and for hilly Parkruns and XC I use "briefs" with a pocket for the pump. Very stable and secure. Bought from two sources. These are the only things that work for me when there is intense hip flexion and extension (eg sprinting).

For longer runs including orienteering I might use a tight fitting tank top with a pocket for the pump. Mine has a pocket each side. Quite OK for bush trails, road and orienteering.

For swimming including in the surf I use "swimmers" also with a pocket for the pump. Obviously the fit is tighter than the briefs and the material is different.
With a bit of extra Opsite temporarily over the sensor and the inset site I found the combination very liberating because I could be in the water for a couple of hours, trouble and hassle free.

My parkrun card fits in a zippered pocket in running shorts but probably could also slide into the special pump pockets.

Both the briefs and the tank top are also OK to wear if I am motorcycling (on the way to / from an event) but sometimes if I am wearing the briefs in the m'bike the CSGM transmission is interrupted (by the tank?) so I have to clip the pump somewhere higher for the ride.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there @Snapsy . What about us guys?:):):). You paint a lovely picture of a female diabetic runner.
But me, in a sports bra, padded out with tissue paper and test equipment?
Men's sports bra are available!

ibrahimovic-sports-bra.jpg

If it's good enough for Ibrahimovic!

Reactions: Antje77

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, so I really want to start running but I'm not sure how to hold all my things like my kit, hypo treatments etc. Can anyone give me their tips and recommendations? Thanks
In all honesty, almost all of my kits gets left behind - I just have stashes of dextrose tablets in my pockets.

If you really wanted to take all your gear with you; one of these might be handy (I think this is the sort of thing @catapillar was referring to:))

http://www.spibelt.co.uk/

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Men's sports bra are available!

View attachment 23544

If it's good enough for Ibrahimovic!
Just ordered 2. Apparently a bit short of stock in my size. 36 DD will have to suffice for the time being.

I just hope I don't look as SILLY as Ibrahimovc when I wear mine. ( I use the word silly to avoid my post being removed ););););)