Update and progress so far

Cryssi_Rawr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone!

Still lurking around, reading posts and pondering about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything else.

I finally went public with my T2 and made a nice Facebook post. This was after I met with my diabetes nurse at the beginning of July, and I've gotten great support from my family and friends. It felt very nice!

She was quite impressed! At that point, she confirmed I had lost 6 kgs in weight (sorry, I'm not sure how to appropriately convert this for you nice folks in the UK - I think it's 0 stone, 13 lb according to the converter I'm using). She was happy with most of my BG levels, we're seeing a lot of 5 mmols at fasting, and mostly everything is under 10 mmol after meals, except for 2 or 3 instances where they were planned outing and treats.

We will be doing my H1ac at the end of August, as well as tests for cholesterol and kidneys. We'll look into foot care as well and eye doctor to check me up. Feet are fine, eyes I haven't had checked in a while and I sometimes feel like there's too many floaters, but we'll see what they say.

In terms of general life, we went on vacation on the week following my meeting with the nurse. I cheated on some meals, but was careful overall and tried to keep active. I think I caught one of my nephew's cold though and was out for 2-3 days, but BGs didn't spike too bad. I didn't check as regularly though, but I took my Metformin as usual. It felt nice, but overall I was very conscious of my choices.

Exercise was a bit on the light side after we came back, as work has been horrible. However, this week I'm back on track. I did some weight training yesterday as I'm determined to build my muscles, and hiking is back on the menu!

My only dilemma remains breakfast. I still seem to spike between 8 and 9 mmol no matter what I eat. Cottage cheese remains the one with the lowest spike; I'm trying eggs this week with a bit of cheese and like 1/2 a tbsp of salsa, and I'm still seeing 9's. These numbers are the same as if I would be having whole-wheat toasts with peanut butter, with a glass of milk!

What do you guys do for breakfast? I'm thinking of trying oatmeal next week and seeing how that works out.

Cheers!

Reactions: leslie10152

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting BG is always the most difficult for me to conrol.
I find breakfast of full fat greek yogurt with a couple of walnut halves helps lower it. Especially if I add in some exercise like a swim.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

People do find breakfasts difficult because of the inconvenient liver dumps in the mornings.
Your salsa may be causing your current problem.
Personally I find I cannot tolerate any carbs at all for breakfast, so your oatcakes would send me sky high.
I used to have full fat Greek yogurt with a very few berries and some flaxseed mixed in. That didn't work.
I then tried a soft boiled egg. That didn't work.
I now have a decaf coffee with a good slurp of double cream. That works a treat and sees me through to lunch time. My levels stay flat in the low to mid 5mmol/ls from getting up to lunch time.

Well done on the weight loss. That is great. :)

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hey everyone!

Still lurking around, reading posts and pondering about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything else.

I finally went public with my T2 and made a nice Facebook post. This was after I met with my diabetes nurse at the beginning of July, and I've gotten great support from my family and friends. It felt very nice!

She was quite impressed! At that point, she confirmed I had lost 6 kgs in weight (sorry, I'm not sure how to appropriately convert this for you nice folks in the UK - I think it's 0 stone, 13 lb according to the converter I'm using). She was happy with most of my BG levels, we're seeing a lot of 5 mmols at fasting, and mostly everything is under 10 mmol after meals, except for 2 or 3 instances where they were planned outing and treats.

We will be doing my H1ac at the end of August, as well as tests for cholesterol and kidneys. We'll look into foot care as well and eye doctor to check me up. Feet are fine, eyes I haven't had checked in a while and I sometimes feel like there's too many floaters, but we'll see what they say.

In terms of general life, we went on vacation on the week following my meeting with the nurse. I cheated on some meals, but was careful overall and tried to keep active. I think I caught one of my nephew's cold though and was out for 2-3 days, but BGs didn't spike too bad. I didn't check as regularly though, but I took my Metformin as usual. It felt nice, but overall I was very conscious of my choices.

Exercise was a bit on the light side after we came back, as work has been horrible. However, this week I'm back on track. I did some weight training yesterday as I'm determined to build my muscles, and hiking is back on the menu!

My only dilemma remains breakfast. I still seem to spike between 8 and 9 mmol no matter what I eat. Cottage cheese remains the one with the lowest spike; I'm trying eggs this week with a bit of cheese and like 1/2 a tbsp of salsa, and I'm still seeing 9's. These numbers are the same as if I would be having whole-wheat toasts with peanut butter, with a glass of milk!

What do you guys do for breakfast? I'm thinking of trying oatmeal next week and seeing how that works out.

Cheers!
Don't stress too much @Cryssi_Rawr. You will have from time to time raised bgl's, anything below 10 is not too bad. Keep a record of what you consume and how you react to get a better system in place. At this point you are doing well, so keep up the good work. The forum is always here when you need us.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Fasting BG is always the most difficult for me to conrol.
I find breakfast of full fat greek yogurt with a couple of walnut halves helps lower it. Especially if I add in some exercise like a swim.
I walk a lot and find it very beneficial.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done. It is good to take back control and also not to feel you are hiding something from those who care about you. Keep up the good work, don't take it for granted that all will be well. I have found that over the winter I neglected my exercise regime, it was too easy to make an excuse to stay indoors rather than go for a walk. I didn't gain weight but my insulin resistance crept up a notch.
For breakfast I enjoy some home made yoghurt with cinnamon and some seasonal berries. The cinnamon is a flavour I associate with Christmas but it works for me in the morning. Oatmeal sends my bg up into double figures.

Reactions: zand