ANNOYING PEOPLE

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do folks in your life really tell you potatoes and bread will kill you - all day long? :)

That sure as heck would be annoying.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do folks in your life really tell you potatoes and bread will kill you - all day long? :)

That sure as heck would be annoying.
No, I wouldn't have folk like that in my life:)

I read it on here on a regular basis though, the amount of people who "want to keep their feet" and "value their sight too much" and directly correlate losing either of them with tatties and bread drives me bananas. That I find annoying...

I'd sooner opt for sharing a piece of battenberg with someone who won't knock me for doing so.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
ps I wish someone HAD told me, or my parents when I was a kid, about possible bad reactions to bread (read wheat). Just saying.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No, I wouldn't have folk like that in my life:)

I read it on here on a regular basis though, the amount of people who "want to keep their feet" and "value their sight too much" and directly correlate losing either of them with tatties and bread drives me bananas. That I find annoying...

I'd sooner opt for sharing a piece of battenberg with someone who won't knock me for doing so.

Fair enough, GrantGam! Fair enough.

Reactions: GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now.... bananas..... (just kidding! I promise!)
I literally had a suffix on bananas in brackets *(all 20/30g carbs of them)*

But I removed it as I literally robbed it from another forum member a few days ago. I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but I did laugh for a wee while:)

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel uncomfortably grateful towards St Jenny Fkn McCarthy (STFM) these days. She's the MTV witch who doesn't have a child with autism, who paired up with No-longer-doctor Andrew Wakefield once he arrived in the US (where he still practises "medicine") to demonstrate that MMR causes autism (which, again, her child doesn't have) and which she can miraculously cure by humming and throwing milk and painting things purple.

I'm not a fan of St Jenny Fkn McCarthy.

For years and years after Euan's diagnosis of Autism, SJFM would be raised in almost every conversation with anyone anywhere. In a park, with Euan doing His Thing in a puddle (stand very still, watch the world in the reflection, compare it to the real thing, move slightly, watch again, etc), someone would ask why he was different. I'd say, "He has autism" they'd say "Oh but he doesn't have to! Have you heard of Jenny McCarthy?"

Or in a supermarket when someone's child is screaming (a sound that literally deafens Euan - it's a tonal, sensory thing) and Euan falls to the floor with his hands over his ears and someone says "Why is he being so rude?" and I'd reply, "He's not being rude, he can't hear over the sound - he has autism." and then I'd get a tut and "I bet you gave him the MMR... Have you read this book by Jenny McCarthy..?"

While I would still cross the road and gleefully slap SJFM's face to express my gratitude for all the harm and misunderstanding she's caused me (and so many other families), the truth is, it's hardened my skin against idiots and misinformed helpers. On my first evening out with my wonderful friends recently, one person overheard me talking to them about the picnic food I was unpacking.

"Low-carb faddy nonsense," she whispered to her husband, "If she wants to shift all that weight, she should try Atkins."

My friends lifted a glass to her in salute.

Reactions: kumera

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my first evening out with my wonderful friends recently, one person overheard me talking to them about the picnic food I was unpacking.

"Low-carb faddy nonsense," she whispered to her husband, "If she wants to shift all that weight, she should try Atkins."

My friends lifted a glass to her in salute.

Priceless! Absolutely priceless! :D

S

serenity648

RANT Alert:

I get really, really annoyed with people who tell me i should have less than 20g of carbs a day, or I am not treating my condition seriously enough and therefore, by implication, to blame for any repercussions to my health. Or who tell each and every newcomer on here to ditch the carbs, keep to 20g or under, as if it were gospel truth.

What a great way to frighten and put people off, not to mention it probably ISNT TRUE for the poster asking for help!!!

It may be true for the very low carbers. They may not have other health issues where going so low isnt an option. So why make the '20g a day or nothing' comments the first one they read? What happened to a moderate approach, recommending buying a meter, testing, reading up about carbs so an informed choice can be made, and reasonable starting level set?

It should be stamped on by the Mods each time it happens. I report it when I see it.

So many on here post sensible, moderate, helpful advice, its a shame a few spoil it by putting their own personal axe grinding before consideration for the feelings and fears on newbies.

end of rant - i feel so much better having got that off my chest : )

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One size fits all brigade you mean @serenity648 . Argh!!!!

I know I get over zealous about liver blocking but I just want for everyone an answer to their naughty fbgs. I know exactly how hard everyone works at their bgs. I want wonderful things for all.
I practical wish fbg at 5-6 on everyone. If only I had that ability?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

But I removed it as I literally robbed it from another forum member a few days ago. I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but I did laugh for a wee while:)
May have been me. Feel free to rob. As long as we are fighting the same war.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not diabetic but remember when, about 30 years ago, a diabetic gentleman frequently visited our offices for meetings. He told me (a secretary) a little about diabetes and gave me some glucose tabs to give him if, in his words, he got a little 'fuzzy'. That lesson has stayed to this day. No way in the world would I give someone a shot of insulin!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

lol My opinion only! - I reckon a banana is great for T1s, good nutrition, not a problem at all. However for T2s who are diet controlled, a 20g snack may (or may not) be OK. I occasionally have one, but then have to sacrifice some other carbs at meal times to make 'room' for it. So it's annoying for T1s to be told what they should/shouldn't eat, but can be equally annoying when some T1s don't understand that some T2s can't have as many carbs as a T1 who can bolus. I think the problem mostly occurs when newbies of either type don't fully understand the differences between insulin dependant diabetics and non insulin dependant T2s. I guess we're all learning aren't we?

Edit: running for cover in case I have upset someone...

Reactions: Crystalwand

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lol My opinion only! - I reckon a banana is great for T1s, good nutrition, not a problem at all. However for T2s who are diet controlled, a 20g snack may (or may not) be OK. I occasionally have one, but then have to sacrifice some other carbs at meal times to make 'room' for it. So it's annoying for T1s to be told what they should/shouldn't eat, but can be equally annoying when some T1s don't understand that some T2s can't have as many carbs as a T1 who can bolus. I think the problem mostly occurs when newbies of either type don't fully understand the differences between insulin dependant diabetics and non insulin dependant T2s. I guess we're all learning aren't we?

Edit: running for cover in case I have upset someone...
Hahaha running for cover, no need my friend!

Everyday is a school day:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @zand . If I can't upset someone on a regular basis I feel I'm failing :):):)
Annoying as it is we all fall under the " word " diabetic. As we both know it's that little number that makes a huge difference.
I'm diabetic but understand very little about T2, I don't have to. I trust yourself and all the other T2's to provide the best advice.

P.S. I feel sorry for anyone who gets upset by anything on the forum. It's only other people's opinions at the end of the day.
Don't run for cover. Fight your corner. If you believe then it's gotta be right.

Reactions: Crystalwand

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @zand .
Don't run for cover. Fight your corner. If you believe then it's gotta be right.

Maybe I'm falling for your devious trap, @therower but I can't say I agree with you here.

People come here for help, support, advice. If someone feels they have to "fight their corner" that positive outcome is broken. No-one should feel they have to fight to get advice - isn't that our primary complaint about the NHS?

And squillions of people believe all kinds of crazy stuff without being right. I might believe that my diabetes was caused by a cadre of witch-dogs who cursed me with a sugar allergy because of the way my great, great, great grandfather used to treat his pet labs - the passion of my belief doesn't make it any less bonkers or more true.

For the record, though, your posts have often been incredibly helpful and inspirational for me as I've crashed along my path. You're less of a bulldog than you might think... ;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SockFiddler . Totally agree, people come here for help, support and advice.
Are we as " knowledgeable diabetics " here to help, support and advise?
I can't and wouldn't offer any of the above unless I believed in them.

You've sussed me out. I do like the bulldog idea though ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I must admit I came on the site because I saw posters who experienced the same as me and I guess looking for guidance too.
What I do is respect the forum as a forum (personal experiences) and the website as educational accuracy.
Forums to me are filled with experience. If I believe it to be nonsense then I carnt expect a poster to value my experience either.