can i ever get drunk again? or do i just buy a six pack of evian ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, can type 2 still have the odd beer or two when on holiday? Ive just been wondering to myself are there some type 2 out there who still smoke and drink, obviously I know its not good for us, however I'm just wondering how many of us still smoke and drink beer? its probably just my wishful thinking kicking in lol.....life just feels like its over, what am I meant to do when everyone on holiday is having a beer and enjoying themselves, should I just buy a six pack of evian mineral water ? lol......

Reactions: barriebanana

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I smoke, for my sins. I know the dangers and I know that it can raise bg.
As for the demon drink, I'm teetotal. I have read here on the forum that red wine in moderation is ok and even some shorts but obviously look out for the mixers. As for lager/beer it is carb laden, I'm afraid so the choice is yours as to whether you succumb and fall off the carb waggon or not. Have a great time when you go.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont smoke however I do still drink. I drink white wine or gin and usually at weekends. I havent seen too much difference in my bg levels although I'm usually ready for bed after a couple of glasses so dont get round to checking my levels.

See how you go and see what suits you

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice I've been given is that a diabetic should stick to the same levels as everybody else - i.e. 14 units per week (I think that's the current suggested level, it was somewhat higher for men, but they equalised it, a year or so back, boo, hiss) and that you shouldn't binge drink - i.e. don't save them up and drink 14 units all in one evening :eek:.

I am fairly sure that I keep to this, as a rule. We only drink at weekends, unless there are special circumstances, such as a birthday or anniversary and I usually drink red wine, or scotch, with a little water if it's a malt and with diet dry ginger if it's a blend. I'm also partial to the occasional gin and (slimline) tonic. Spirits have all the carbs distilled out of them and red wine is relatively low carb.

On a positive note, if you have a drink, your liver is too busy processing alcohol to worry about chucking out sugar, so it helps keep your b/g levels down ;):D:cool::hungover:.

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi, can type 2 still have the odd beer or two when on holiday? Ive just been wondering to myself are there some type 2 out there who still smoke and drink, obviously I know its not good for us, however I'm just wondering how many of us still smoke and drink beer? its probably just my wishful thinking kicking in lol.....life just feels like its over, what am I meant to do when everyone on holiday is having a beer and enjoying themselves, should I just buy a six pack of evian mineral water ? lol......

I still drink red wine nearly every day and if I am out for a meal a couple pints of real ale
I've been accustomed to this since my 20s can't just suddenly change I'm in my 60s now I am doing really well on LCHF and I know I'll have to cut it out sometime to help my weight loss if nothing else
Doesent seem to affect my bg readings

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

LI buy a six pack of fizzy water on a regular basis. Hydration is a serious thing. Also I stopped drinking and brewing beer. For more than 6 months after diagnosis cut out all types of booze. Have now eased back into wines and an occasional spirit. I've found it helps lower morning blood sugars especially when eating late. It's also a great way of clocking off for the day. The nhs recommended 14 units a week is always on my mind but as yet I haven't read the actual medical paper this comes from. As we now live in a post truth era I'd welcome a link to the science if anyone has it.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I no longer know what to believe with the NHS guidelines. They seem to change from month to month - as does the advice whether red or white wine is better, or worse for you.
I ration my beloved Guinness, but I'm happy to drink red frequently and occasional tots of medicinal scotch.
I believe my meter.

frankbegbie

Last Saturday I had 3 cans of Coors Lite and 3 large Rum and Diet Pepsi.

The Coors isn't the best taste, but the Rum and Pep is lovely.

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hiya. I am off to Majorca in the morning for 4 nights and am going to have what food and drink i want( with a few better choices if i can) and not going to let diabetes put a downer on it. I am a pretty new t2 (48 year old) and the thought of not having a few beers or vodkas now and again and getting ****** is terrible and would rather not be here.

Enjoy your holiday Gerard as i know i am going to.

Cheers
Phil