Sugar Withdrawal Symptoms?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone ever experienced palpitations whilst in the early days of low carb?
I'm only 9 days in, but for the last four or five days have experienced more palpitations than usual.

I am prone to fluttering and have been diagnosed benign ectopic beats and premature ventricular contraction... nothing too serious and have been fully checked out and deemed fine. These flutters are a lot less heavy duty than my normal pvc's where my heart feels like it's stopping and restarting... this is just light fluttering, but a lot more than normal and mostly in the evenings.

I haven't started any new medication, do not over-do the caffeine (one cup of normal coffee, and the rest are decaf each day). Blood pressure is in range, pulse is and will always be tachycardic, but it's at it's normal of 95 to 100bpm.
The only big change I've made is that I've gone very low carb (actually following the blood sugar diet), currently managing on minimum carbs per day having come from a bingeing few months of sugary careless abandon!
I had carb flu for the first day or two, but now I'm wondering whether I'm having some sort of sugar withdrawal? Obviously, I'm going to work through it, but just wondered whether anyone else had experienced this type of extreme reaction?

Reactions: Freema

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It's certainly feasable.... When a diet becomes the "norm" then any change would induce a "withdrawal" like symptom..?
Think long term alcahol or drug dependency coming to a stop..

Stay in touch with your HCPs & keep testing more than usual.. (Just noticed from your profile you're on insulin.)
Keep a close eye on your levels. Especially with the palpitation symptoms...

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply.
I had a carb day today, and still have palpitations... bloods are fairly good, so I guess that it's a trip to the Dr's for me!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply.
I had a carb day today, and still have palpitations... bloods are fairly good, so I guess that it's a trip to the Dr's for me!

Try to log when these palpitations occur.. Along with your BS could something stressful have brought it on??
Sounds like a lot of "paperwork". But it helps your doc get a clear picture on what's happening...

Good luck!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have palpitations when I am low on magnesium. A single dose of supplement usually stops them.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have palpitations when I am low on magnesium. A single dose of supplement usually stops them.

You may have just hit the nail on the head... I am Vitamin D deficient. I didn't know until I've just read, that Vitamin D and Magnesium need each other to be processed. Right.. time to raid the cupboard for the multivitamins!

Reactions: Freema and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have just hit the nail on the head... I am Vitamin D deficient. I didn't know until I've just read, that Vitamin D and Magnesium need each other to be processed. Right.. time to raid the cupboard for the multivitamins!
And I had forgotten about the link between the two. Thank you. I am also prone to vit D deficiency.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@luceeloo

I would have a a read up on magnesium. Its a big part of our overall health, and a surprising number of people are deficient in it. So if you are experiencing palpitations so early in your LC journey, you may have been deficient for some time.

It comes in several different types, which vary tremendously in absorbability (is that even a word? :D). There is one type that is mainly used as a laxative!

Also, I don't know how much of a dose is in your multivits, but if you are experiencing palpitations, then the small amount in a mixed supplement might not be enough.

Here are a couple of articles that I found were useful when I was looking into this myself.
Although please bear in mind that any site that sells supplements, and lectures you on their benefits has a very vested interest in flogging you the most expensive thing they can! :)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ts-against-stroke-heart-disease-diabetes.aspx

http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_absorption.html

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update... since taking magnesium supplements, palpitations have almost vanished. I might get a skipped beat here and there, but nothing like I was getting. Thank you everyone for your help and input.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

A quick fix if low in magnesium is to add Epsom salts to your bath water and have a good soak; it's easily absorbed through your skin.

I tend to try and maintain my levels through eating magnesium-rich foods such as spinach, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts, though a chance for a good soak and 'top-up' is always welcome. This can also ease the cramps which some people get on low carb when exercising.