Not eaten in 14 hours & BS go up?!!

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Good morning all. I'm used to having readings of between 5.5 and 6.5 first thing in the morning. This morning I've been mega active and skipped breakfast and just taken a reading of 8.00, I was expecting the reading to be low! Any reason this could be happening?

Reactions: Peerless67
B

badcat

In everyone, When your liver thinks your body needs more energy for whatever reason it will release glycogen into the bloodstream which will raise sugars. In non diabetics, isulin is released to mop up any excess, for us diabetics that feedback system doesnt work so well. Have a google on liver dumps & diabetes

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Liver dump I would think. As you had not eaten and were more active liver would be triggered to release glucose into your blood.

Sorry badcat posted at same time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree it is a liver dump.

In non-diabetics the pancreas drip feeds insulin into the blood stream continuously, 24/7. This is known as our basal insulin. It keeps blood glucose levels stable, and any glucose secreted by the liver gets mopped up. The pancreas and liver work hand in hand. In the absence of food the liver produces glucose for the energy it thinks we need and the pancreas secretes insulin to cope with any that isn't used .

In diabetics, some people have insufficient basal insulin, or they have sufficient basal insulin but it is being rejected by the cells, hence a rise in blood glucose levels.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Thanks @badcat , @JohnEGreen & @Bluetit1802 . So I guess that eating regularly is better than fasting, so I presume the likes of 5-2 diets or even 6-1 are not good for Diabetics type 2?

Reactions: ickihun
B

badcat

They can be good and people seem to differ in how long / how much liver dumping happens - I think the best way to find out how it effects you is do it for a week or two and keep testing to see what happens. Im no expert, but if it was me, I wouldnt do high activity while fasting without knowing my starting bs was above aroud a 6 as I would hypothesise that lower bs might signal the liver to think more energy / glucose is needed - complicated!

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @badcat , @JohnEGreen & @Bluetit1802 . So I guess that eating regularly is better than fasting, so I presume the likes of 5-2 diets or even 6-1 are not good for Diabetics type 2?

Hi @sugarshy

Fasting does work for some people, so don't discount it straight away. It doesn't for me as a rule, so I tend to eat regularly and benefit from BGs in the 4/5's throughout the day and in the 6's first thing in the morning with the usual liver dump.
I find a high fat snack at bedtime will keep it lower, but it always comes back down to around 4.5 with an lchf breakfast so I don't always feel the need.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Apparently good for reducing insulin resistance but I too agree not good for first few weeks of bgs. Some lose weight on those fasting diets. Many just add the weight back on. Even bariatric surgery patients can do the same. It has to be a change for life, I feel.
I'm emotionally ready for 600cals a day or less and need op to support me. My diabetes doesnt need much food. Never has.
Only got interferred with due to carb cravings and caused lack of energy and high bgs which then gave me 'burnout'.
I got disheartened due to no matter what I did it made no difference. Pre low carbing thou. :)
Low carbing is a godsend.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the body initially when being used to very high blood glucose tries to compensate the much-lowered level of blood glucose caused by fasting... but then remember that if you keep on doing low carb or fasting then your stored levels of glucose and and the stores from which the liver transforms proteins into glucose will also lower when the body initially raises blood glucose like you experience, so don´t worry much of initial rise in blood glucose , just keep on your good work.. and you´ll soon get much lower and better results.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Thanks all of you for your time and info. A great forum and good to have your company on this difficult and complicated journey. I hope I can contribute one day.:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have Type 2 your body is probably full to the brim with sugar so you'll dump it whenever there is an opportunity.. Fasting is great for Type 2 and once you have cleared some of the excess glucose from your blood you'll be fine..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all of you for your time and info. A great forum and good to have your company on this difficult and complicated journey. I hope I can contribute one day.:)

Sugarshy - I don't see liver dumps as anything to be concerned about.

Yes, our livers store glucose, as part of their function in balancing things out. I look on it like a rechargeable battery. We eat and the liver gets topped up (battery charged), the we go about out business. From time to time, it releases a bit of glucose to top up our systems. I find if I am very busy during the day I liver dump. It's not necessarily frequently, but it does happen pretty regularly. I see that like the battery being used, so discharging.

The liver dump doesn't do me any harm, and the next time I eat, the first thing my body will do is top up the liver to the correct levels again. Yes, that's what I see as recharging my liver (battery).

Some people feel very concerned about liver dumps, and many people can actually tell when it's happening to them. I know I can tell, and I have been proven right when using a Libre sensor. It's not a frightening or unpleasant feeling, but just something distinctive to me.

Good luck with it all.

M

Member34835

Liver dumps!!!! The term should anyone want to do what I do and search it out on google is gluconeogenesis (spellchecker does not like that so apologies if it is misspelt). As well as not eating your blood sugars can rise due to stress (emotional or from lifting weights). Don't be concerned as your body will adjust. Good luck. Also don't get hung up on measuring blood sugars too much!

B

badcat

As I understand it liver dumps and gluconeogenesis are slightly different
The liver stores a certain amount of glucose as glycogen and releases this when needed particularly in response to hormonal changes
Gluconeogenesis is the process whereby the liver can turn protein into carbohydrate by recycling some of the by products of protein metabolism.
Same overall effect - raised blood sugars - but totally different pathways

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ultramum

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So I guess that eating regularly is better than fasting, so I presume the likes of 5-2 diets or even 6-1 are not good for Diabetics type 2?

Not necessarily. You will just have to see how it affects you.