Do antiseptic wipes make a difference?

Phuppetty_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying different things to find out why my levels are going up and down faster than a *****'s drawers! Controlled all day, by morning my level is way too high. I noticed if I ate a light snack late evening it seemed to be a lower reading in the morning (fasting). All day it then stabilises and by 2 hours after my evening meal it is around 6.1. I have been eating an apple in the late evening and my morning reading has gone to around 6.5.... But this morning I tested and it was 7.9. I have no idea what is going on, the only thing I did differently was I couldn't wash my hands pre-test (plumber has turned water off for a few hours) so I used an antiseptic wipe. Has anyone noticed if that affects results? If not, I am at a loss as to why it is so much higher again. I suspect it is high though as my vision is blurred.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying different things to find out why my levels are going up and down faster than a *****'s drawers!

Ma'am you have the advantage of me.

Sorry. Oscar Wilde said something similar once and I just couldn't resist it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are generally advised not to use wipes, although there are some on the market specifically designed for this purpose so those are probably OK. I don't use them so can't remember the name. I think @noblehead uses them.

Your 7.9 could have been anything, even a rogue reading. Did you re-test?

Reactions: Phuppetty_

Phuppetty_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are generally advised not to use wipes, although there are some on the market specifically designed for this purpose so those are probably OK. I don't use them so can't remember the name. I think @noblehead uses them.

Your 7.9 could have been anything, even a rogue reading. Did you re-test?
I have retested and it is down to 7. I did use an Accu-Chek wipe which I thought would be ok... usually I just wash my hands. I seem to be having an issue with my sugar spiking in the night... presumably due to raised cortisol. I'm seeing my dn tomorrow so I'll mention it to get.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Waste of money time and effort ... warm water, soap, rinse and thoroughly dry on clean towel

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I am trying different things to find out why my levels are going up and down faster than a *****'s drawers! Controlled all day, by morning my level is way too high. I noticed if I ate a light snack late evening it seemed to be a lower reading in the morning (fasting). All day it then stabilises and by 2 hours after my evening meal it is around 6.1. I have been eating an apple in the late evening and my morning reading has gone to around 6.5.... But this morning I tested and it was 7.9. I have no idea what is going on, the only thing I did differently was I couldn't wash my hands pre-test (plumber has turned water off for a few hours) so I used an antiseptic wipe. Has anyone noticed if that affects results? If not, I am at a loss as to why it is so much higher again. I suspect it is high though as my vision is blurred.
The wipes can influence your bgl. You need to check with your pharmacist to get suitable wipes that do not compromise your glucose reading. I have had this problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't use them so can't remember the name. I think @noblehead uses them.

I don't use them although I do keep meaning to buy some, the product is called Dia-Wipes, you can purchase them from the Funckypumpers website or from the likes of eBay & Amazon.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Phuppetty_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waste of money time and effort ... warm water, soap, rinse and thoroughly dry on clean towel
As I said in my post I don't normally use them but I am having a bathroom refit which means I have no water.

Phuppetty_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use them although I do keep meaning to buy some, the product is called Dia-Wipes, you can purchase them from the Funckypumpers website or from the likes of eBay & Amazon.
Thanks. I do think it would be useful to have some in case I need to test and there is no wash facility.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As I said in my post I don't normally use them but I am having a bathroom refit which means I have no water.

You should have a valve on taps in bathrooms to still be able to get some water?

Have you not got access to a kitchen?

Could neighbours not just offer a bucket of water or a kettle of water or a bottle of water for kettle etc?

I'm same as above. Rarely wash before testing, only if I see a rogue reading...

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should have a valve on taps in bathrooms to still be able to get some water?

They are called isolation valves DD.

They are great devices as you can fit them to the individual pipework going up to taps and toilets, they are easy to fit too and cheap to buy (under £5 at the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation).

Reactions: donnellysdogs
D

Deleted member 308541

I occasionally use Medi-Swabs if my fingers are greasy without any noticeable rise in bgl.

The way I look at it if it was good enough for the nurses at the local hospital and at my GP to use alcoholic swabs when testing my bgl, I will do the same.

My mind is boggling!!!!
Thanks for highlighting that as I missed the funny in that post.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They are called isolation valves DD.

They are great devices as you can fit them to the individual pipework going up to taps and toilets, they are easy to fit too and cheap to buy (under £5 at the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation).

Brilliant.. thanks for reminding me proper name.. brain is always 2 steps behind nowadays.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know what you mean DD.

Sometimes they are called Service Valves but both do the same thing.

Everything with me nowadays is normally called "it" or "you know"!!! Lol.
Glad you got gist of my words.. and glad that my days of doing up houses, kitchens, bathrooms etc are done with-lol..

Cant imagine being left with no water!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cant imagine being left with no water!!

Me too..................hence why I put isolation valves on all the water pipes.

Back on track, I've used bottled water to clean my fingers prior to testing when out & about, failing that I just wipe away the first drop of blood and test with the second.