mirtazapine...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi

Have been prescribed 15mg mirtazapine after no luck with citalopram, sertraline and fluoxetine!

Any advice or anyone who takes this please??

All I know is to take it at night before bed. TIA xx

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I used to take that med and was on 45mg and took it at bedtime. It worked very well for me and also helped me to sleep.
The only draw back for me was a tremendous weight gain, as in 5 stone.

D

Deleted member 83869

I used to take that med and was on 45mg and took it at bedtime. It worked very well for me and also helped me to sleep.
The only draw back for me was a tremendous weight gain, as in 5 stone.

I keep seeing stuff about weight gain.... really don't want that!!

Alwyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take it every night, and have lost 31/2 stone doing LCHF. I was gaining weight when I started it but that was due to following the nice diet guidelines, as soon as I changed the way I ate the weight fell off me. Hope you find what works for you.

Reactions: kellym1

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi

Have been prescribed 15mg mirtazapine after no luck with citalopram, sertraline and fluoxetine!

Hi @ohitsnicola
I have used all of those and others in my time. I was pretty ill though and nothing seemed to work too well apart from lithium and ECT.
However, over the last 10 years or so, I have been using escitalopram and this has worked well for me. Escitalopram is the chiral (left-handed) version of citalopram and although very similar, it helps where anxiety is a problem as well as depression.
Perhaps you could try that if mirtazapine isn't successful.
Best wishes, Brian.

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi @ohitsnicola
I have used all of those and others in my time. I was pretty ill though and nothing seemed to work too well apart from lithium and ECT.
However, over the last 10 years or so, I have been using escitalopram and this has worked well for me. Escitalopram is the chiral (left-handed) version of citalopram and although very similar, it helps where anxiety is a problem as well as depression.
Perhaps you could try that if mirtazapine isn't successful.
Best wishes, Brian.

I am just nervous at the fact that it can make you very sleepy, but I think I'd rather the sleepiness than the very low moods... due to take my first one in about an hour or so!

Reactions: ally1

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I took it for about 2 years. It helped me a lot but I did gain weight while on it - possibly water retention though as my face and hands became very puffy while I was on it and the puffiness went away as soon as I stopped taking it. Like I say, it did help a lot with the depression. The big downside for me is that it made me extremely tired the entire time I was on it. But everyone has a different experience of it!

D

Deleted member 83869

I took it for about 2 years. It helped me a lot but I did gain weight while on it - possibly water retention though as my face and hands became very puffy while I was on it and the puffiness went away as soon as I stopped taking it. Like I say, it did help a lot with the depression. The big downside for me is that it made me extremely tired the entire time I was on it. But everyone has a different experience of it!
I am not taking it now...I know I haven't really given it a chance but I couldn't physically keep my eyes open during the day....but I couldn't sleep at night! I couldn't look after my 1 year old daughter whilst on them!! I just wanted to lay about all day! x

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I will say things improved after a couple of weeks, and my GP did say that side effect usually wears off. I've known of people who got to the point where they didn't experience the tiredness at all after a while but I was just one of those that wasn't so lucky!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Took it a few years back. Tiredness, weight gain and night sweats.

I'm back on fluoxetine with my lithium and other meds.

You may find that most of the AD's cause tiredness but it is a case of trial and error. There are lots of other medications you can try. Dont be scared to ask for something else :)

OdinsBeard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Sertraline=functional zombie, Escitalopram=anxiety and suicide attempt, fluoxitin same, Mirtazapine= bouncing off the walls and psychotic break, Trazadone the same, on duloxotine low dose now, seems to help a bit, They affect everyone in different ways, My partner is fine on fluoxitine. Good luck

With me, Mirtazapine helped me sleep, until the initial side effect wore off. It also made my constipation worse. Had no other positive benefit.

However, my endocrinologist told me that it can interfere with the glucose metabolism. He actually said "it causes diabetes". I don't know if that's true, but it could account for the hunger and weight gain that it can cause.

BLUENICK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I take a 45mg dose and have done so for 3 years no weight gain but it does aid in sleeping for sure, problem is it now seems to have stopped me from feeling any pleasures at all, does anyone else feel like this? thanxs for any comments.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Mirt for about 3 years, i put on 2 stone, it did help emotional issues and sleep. I had no grogginess or any other side effects the day after.

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Duloxatine and going really well on 120mg per day. THis is weight neutral so I have lost nearly 2 stone whilst on it and dieting. On Mirt I put on 3 stone even though I was following slimming world. Good Luck