Type 1 Missed menstrual cycle after DKA

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i was diagnosed with type 1 about a month ago. I was traveling to the states and went into DKA. Since then I've not had my period. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tvnerd

Did you lose a lot of weight prior to diagnosis? The menstrual cycle is in part regulated by levels of leptin in the body, and leptin is produced by the fat tissue, so it could well be that you are below the leptin threshold. I was diagnosed when I was 16, and I got down to about 40kg, and didn't have a period for about six months until I'd gained the weight back.

You can always talk to your doctor about it if you are really concerned, but prior to diagnosis your body does undergo a lot of stress, so don't be surprised if it takes a while for things to balance out again :)

Reactions: azure

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tvnerd

Did you lose a lot of weight prior to diagnosis? The menstrual cycle is in part regulated by levels of leptin in the body, and leptin is produced by the fat tissue, so it could well be that you are below the leptin threshold. I was diagnosed when I was 16, and I got down to about 40kg, and didn't have a period for about six months until I'd gained the weight back.

You can always talk to your doctor about it if you are really concerned, but prior to diagnosis your body does undergo a lot of stress, so don't be surprised if it takes a while for things to balance out again :)

Hey! I weighed about 42kgs before my diagnosis but regularly had my cycle. I now weigh 46kgs. The doctors said that the stress my body underwent due to the DKA would cause a delayed cycle but it's getting quite frustrating now. I'm have a lot of bloating and don't know what to do or if this is normal

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tvnerd

Just FYI I have always weighed between 42-44kgs. This is my highest weight ever.

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was 12 months or more for me before things settled down - a long time with no period and quite worrying!!Now back as regular as clockwork. Your body will be / have been under a lot of stress. Give it time, things will settle x

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tvnerd I didn't get diagnosed in DKA so I'm not familiar with what impact that could have on your menstrual cycle. I did have DKA last November which took quite a significant recovery period. I wasn't having periods at the time due, I think, to weight loss/low carb diet. But my periods recommended in March, after DKA in November. But it was quite a long break, since the previous June/July. I think that break was caused by a change in my diet/increase in exercise/weight loss unrelated to an intervening episode of DKA.

You've got quite enough to worry about with newly diagnosed type 1, just enjoy a brief respite from menstruating. Once your body gets settled in the new insulin regime - insulin is a hormone that might be having an impact on your body's hormonal balance - I'm sure periods will resume.

Don't underestimate the amount of stress DKA will have put your body under. Your body was making ketones by eating though healthy tissue to try and get its energy, this was turning your blood acidic and poisoning you. DKA is a fatal condition. Just give it time to recover.

Reactions: Bon83

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tvnerd I didn't get diagnosed in DKA so I'm not familiar with what impact that could have on your menstrual cycle. I did have DKA last November which took quite a significant recovery period. I wasn't having periods at the time due, I think, to weight loss/low carb diet. But my periods recommended in March, after DKA in November. But it was quite a long break, since the previous June/July. I think that break was caused by a change in my diet/increase in exercise/weight loss unrelated to an intervening episode of DKA.

You've got quite enough to worry about with newly diagnosed type 1, just enjoy a brief respite from menstruating. Once your body gets settled in the new insulin regime - insulin is a hormone that might be having an impact on your body's hormonal balance - I'm sure periods will resume.

Don't underestimate the amount of stress DKA will have put your body under. Your body was making ketones by eating though healthy tissue to try and get its energy, this was turning your blood acidic and poisoning you. DKA is a fatal condition. Just give it time to recover.
Thank you so much! Perhaps it'll just take a while. It didn't occur to me that the insulin might be affecting my body's hormonal balance. Have a lot of learning to do in the next few weeks!

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for replying! Finally getting some answers to my million questions about Type 1.