Contour Next One Meter

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
I recently recieved my contour next one meter. It is very good and suits what I need very well. However, I was only diagnosed in early march and I am not sure if they will put the strips for the new meter on my prescription. What shall I say to them to convince them to let me use the meter?
Thanks,
Dobbie

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DobbieTheElf ..........did your Gp//Consultant/Clinic give you a meter at diagnosis, if so then I would suspect they would prefer you to use what they have given you, even so there is no harm in asking , tell them you prefer your meter and with luck and the wind blowing in the right direction.......or you catch them on a good day........they will provide the strips for your meter, but don't be too disappointed if they say they want you to use theirs.......

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One other way to get a free pot is to tell the GP that you WANT to monitor your levels to see how different foods affect you. In all honesty my GP has been great and is very impressed that I can show him my levels on my phone going back ages.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi everyone!
I recently recieved my contour next one meter. It is very good and suits what I need very well. However, I was only diagnosed in early march and I am not sure if they will put the strips for the new meter on my prescription. What shall I say to them to convince them to let me use the meter?
Thanks,
Dobbie

I think as a type I the surgery is supposed to prescribe strips but as far as which monitor and strips I hear different things from different parts of the country. A bit of a lottery in fact. I'm assuming the NHS want everyone to use the same meter and test strips. Shame there are so many, it's difficult enough to choose in the first place.

Check the exact wording of the NICE guidelines which I hope all our doctors adhere to (?) and then ask. That way, you'll know what they're meant to do before you ask.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The costs difference between makes of strips to the NHS can be in many £ per month per person. It seems that each CCG gets a good deal from a few makes, and a clinical justification is needed to prescribe other strips. There is also an issue of what chemists keep in stock in each area.

I think some of the deals require that most prescriptions are for a given make in return for a very large discount.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I| think GPs get "free" meters to give out, as the money is made on the test strips.