Burgers burgers burgers

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops. That was supposed to go to you. 100% grass fed ground beef.
I do agree that your 1.4mmol/l rise is negligible. Albeit, I do understand your frustration, considering you believe you have controlled every variable.

What is in your burger recipe?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do agree that your 1.4mmol/l rise is negligible. Albeit, I do understand your frustration, considering you believe you have controlled every variable.

What is in your burger recipe?
Recipe??? Lol. 100% grass fed beef. Mustard and mayo on a lettuce wrap. Doesn't get much simpler!!

It just seems wrong that I'd have to split bolus for 2 oz meat!!! Fish and poultry tend to lower me a tad. And I'm talking 1/2 unit!! With the burgers if I took one I'd hypo first so I would need to split it. With lean beef or lamb I don't

Thanks for understanding. Just another nuance in the big D world.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recipe??? Lol. 100% grass fed beef. Mustard and mayo on a lettuce wrap. Doesn't get much simpler!!

It just seems wrong that I'd have to split bolus for 2 oz meat!!! Fish and poultry tend to lower me a tad. And I'm talking 1/2 unit!! With the beef if I took one I'd hypo first so I would need to split it.

Thanks for understanding. Just another nuance in the big D world.
I'll say this now @Kristin251 and I'm not trying to be an **** when I say it. But do you ever think that you're maybe being far too critical on your BG trends and levels? I've read numerous posts of yours over the past year and a bit, and I do find that you're one to over think what most of us would be delighted with. Please, don't take what I'm saying the wrong way...

Splitting a unit(s) for a trace carb meal in my world would be extra work that I just couldn't be doing with, especially if it meant either hypo or an insignificant BG rise.

See it from my perspective: eat your meal, bolus when finished - minimal spike (I can only assume), BG back in range well within 2 hours, highly unlikely chance of hypo and one less injection?

Please don't feel that I'm picking apart your diabetes management or ability to control your condition - but do feel that I'm a forum member trying to help and share a different view:)

I never ate for a whole day when doing a radical basal rate test. I don't suffer from liver dumps past waking, so my readings were true. I kept a SD of <1.5mmol/l. That, I was absolutely delighted with. Entirely. I do feel that being concerned over a 1.4mmol/l spike, that returns shortly after, is just beating yourself up too hard.

Best regards @Kristin251.

Reactions: noblehead

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll say this now @Kristin251 and I'm not trying to be an **** when I say it. But do you ever think that you're maybe being far too critical on your BG trends and levels? I've read numerous posts of yours over the past year and a bit, and I do find that you're one to over think what most of us would be delighted with. Please, don't take what I'm saying the wrong way...

Splitting a unit(s) for a trace carb meal in my world would be extra work that I just couldn't be doing with, especially if it meant either hypo or an insignificant BG rise.

See it from my perspective: eat your meal, bolus when finished - minimal spike (I can only assume), BG back in range well within 2 hours, highly unlikely chance of hypo and one less injection?

Please don't feel that I'm picking apart your diabetes management or ability to control your condition - but do feel that I'm a forum member trying to help and share a different view:)

I never ate for a whole day when doing a radical basal rate test. I don't suffer from liver dumps past waking, so my readings were true. I kept a SD of <1.5mmol/l. That, I was absolutely delighted with. Entirely. I do feel that being concerned over a 1.4mmol/l spike, that returns shortly after, is just beating yourself up too hard.

Best regards @Kristin251.
I do understand what you're saying. And no offense taken. However there are a few things I want to point out. A) my stomach sucks so I have to keep my foods / meals small to begin with. B) I have a very narrow range that I typically stay in and fluctuations make me feel like junk. Even small ones. Insulin and I don't get along. When I'm fluctuating ( even minimally ) it makes me very moody and sad.

Today I took my 1/2 u , had egg mayo salad with lettuce and asparagus. I started at 78 and two hours later I was 62 with no food left. Went to a grocery store and grabbed food off the salad bar. Came home and ate chicken, avo, asparagus and cheese. No insulin since the half unit at two. 6:15 I went all the way up to 78 lol. I only take one or two units of lantus at 10pm so long gone. So I ate 6 times today on 2 units total. And I'm still low. No energy and wanted to cry all day.
To be perfectly fair and honest it's more my stomach that makes me eat this way than diabetes. Balancing the two is not an easy task. I KNOW my numbers are very good, Im not concerned about them. It's the stupid little fluctuations that make me feel bad. The more insulin I take th moodier I get. I hare being moody and I miss my old spontaneous self

And yes, I know I take this too far. Through my type 2 journey progressing to LADA I was always trying to figure out 'what changed'. Old habits die hard I guess.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do understand what you're saying. And no offense taken. However there are a few things I want to point out. A) my stomach sucks so I have to keep my foods / meals small to begin with. B) I have a very narrow range that I typically stay in and fluctuations make me feel like junk. Even small ones. Insulin and I don't get along. When I'm fluctuating ( even minimally ) it makes me very moody and sad.

Today I took my 1/2 u , had egg mayo salad with lettuce and asparagus. I started at 78 and two hours later I was 62 with no food left. Went to a grocery store and grabbed food off the salad bar. Came home and ate chicken, avo, asparagus and cheese. No insulin since the half unit at two. 6:15 I went all the way up to 78 lol. I only take one or two units of lantus at 10pm so long gone. So I ate 6 times today on 2 units total. And I'm still low. No energy and wanted to cry all day.
To be perfectly fair and honest it's more my stomach that makes me eat this way than diabetes. Balancing the two is not an easy task. I KNOW my numbers are very good, Im not concerned about them. It's the stupid little fluctuations that make me feel bad. The more insulin I take th moodier I get. I hare being moody and I miss my old spontaneous self

And yes, I know I take this too far. Through my type 2 journey progressing to LADA I was always trying to figure out 'what changed'. Old habits die hard I guess.
Be kind to yourself @Kristin251, life is for living:)

The 'stupid little fluctuations' you mentioned really are absolutely negligible! If you ever get your hands on a copy of Pumping Insulin by John Walsh, you can see just how wobbly a non-diabetic's BG profile is. Albeit in range, like yours, so don't split hairs - you're doing fine considering your circumstances.

Reactions: noblehead

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Technically, in traditional ways, a burger is minced meat mixed with soft bread, onions and eggs. I sincerely doubt it is still the case for every burger, especially in fast foods or pubs, or anything else, but there might be some additional elements into it? Burger is in no case actual 100% meat in my mind. Maybe it is the reason?

I also agree with previous opinions, 25 mg/dL spike is nothing to worry about. I know non-diabetics who have much bigger spikes. I once tested a friend who does a lot of sports and weights 50 kg for 1.60 m, she has no fat. Her BS right after a meal was 158 mg/dL, 1h after, 108 mg/dL. She's healthier than many will ever be.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Technically, in traditional ways, a burger is minced meat mixed with soft bread, onions and eggs. I sincerely doubt it is still the case for every burger, especially in fast foods or pubs, or anything else, but there might be some additional elements into it? Burger is in no case actual 100% meat in my mind. Maybe it is the reason?

I also agree with previous opinions, 25 mg/dL spike is nothing to worry about. I know non-diabetics who have much bigger spikes. I once tested a friend who does a lot of sports and weights 50 kg for 1.60 m, she has no fat. Her BS right after a meal was 158 mg/dL, 1h after, 108 mg/dL. She's healthier than many will ever be.
No sign of bread in Morrisons Scotch Beef 100% quarter pounders. 0.4% carb. I had these, two in fact and never spiked. Some no doubt will have bread in them though

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Here in the US we call that meatloaf. I'm 100% sure there was nothing in it but beef and its fat put through a grinder.

Reactions: Eldra

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't forget the Avo's as well.
Haha. NEVER

There are recipes online for avocado burger patties. :)
Or you could use avocados for the bun.

avocado-bun-burgers-11a.jpg

There's a restaurant in London doing avocado bun burgers.
https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/restaurants/avocado-bun-burgers-come-to-london-a3321711.html
www.metro.co.uk/2016/08/27/we-tried-the-avocado-bun-burger-to-find-out-what-all-the-fuss-is-about-6094238/

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I imagine you can't pick that thing up and eat it haha. That's ok. I'm no stranger to a knife and fork.

Now I want to try that! I have no burger but I image a big scoop of tuna with mayo would work as well!! Hm...

Reactions: Prem51