The Perfect lunch! :-)

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After many attempts to find it...think i just have.... for past few days have had the following for lunch

1 tub of John West Mediteranean Tuna pasta salad, 1 medium banana and a bag of wotsits (av 63g carbs) been giving 10 minute pre-bolus then had the Tuna pasta followed by wotsits then 45 mins later the banana. The highest 'spike' on all occasions has been no more than 1.5 mmol!!... oh happy days :)

Any one else have any top suggestions for lunch??

Reactions: GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After many attempts to find it...think i just have.... for past few days have had the following for lunch

1 tub of John West Mediteranean Tuna pasta salad, 1 medium banana and a bag of wotsits (av 63g carbs) been giving 10 minute pre-bolus then had the Tuna pasta followed by wotsits then 45 mins later the banana. The highest 'spike' on all occasions has been no more than 1.5 mmol!!... oh happy days :)

I find sweet potato is excellent for my BG due to its low GI. I usually have mine with tuna mayo and won't see a spike at all. I've found with sweet potato that I actually need to bolus afterwards to avoid a hypo.

Good work with your numbers! I wish mine were behaving just now:)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky enough to work where there is a canteen usually with freshly prepared food each day which feeds my need for variety (I'd be very quickly bored with the same/similar each day and would end up not bothering). If I prepare something myself though I usually include a something to dip like a sliced boiled egg with mustard mayo or carrots with huomous. :hungry:

Did you not find the pasta salad quite oily? I had one a couple of months ago when I was in a rush for lunch and wasn't too impressed. Well done with your postprandials though, I suspect I'll rise >1 from the panini I'm about to have.

D

Deleted Account

My perfect lunch is something different to yesterday, and the day before and the day before that and the day before ...

My biggest problem is that I get bored with food very quickly. When a dietician told me I would only need to remember the carb count for about 10 meals because we tend to rotate through the same meals every week, I was shocked. For me, ten different meals is 3 days of food (including a snack). I can't even bring myself to have the same breakfast as I did yesterday.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Impressive, how far in advance did you bolus if you don't mind me asking @Postleneo

I've been out all day and just got back in but stopped off at a Morrison's Cafe for lunch, had a sandwich selection (you get a small bag of crisps with it) and bought some coleslaw in-store to go with it followed by a pot of tea, very good value at £3.65 for the sandwich & tea, the coleslaw was 70p :)

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Impressive, how far in advance did you bolus if you don't mind me asking @Postleneo

I've been out all day and just got back in but stopped off at a Morrison's Cafe for lunch, had a sandwich selection (you get a small bag of crisps with it) and bought some coleslaw in-store to go with it followed by a pot of tea, very good value at £3.65 for the sandwich & tea, the coleslaw was 70p :)
Hi Noblehead - my pre bolus timings depend on my BS at the time - past few days have been nicely within range at 5.4, 5.8 and today 5.6 so for the above meal was 10 mins pre bolus and wait about 45-50 mins after eating the pasta before the Bananna. If my BS was slightly higher i may extend the pre bolus to up to 20 mins and further delay in eating the banana (for that particular lunch anyways) - I pump with FIASP and also self fund the Dexcom G4 and tend to eat as soon as i trend down.... if on the lowish side say 4.5 depending on the meal and GI may not pre-bolus, do a combi or do an extended bolus of 100% over 30 minutes :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pre-bolusing we seem to have a similar strategy @Postleneo , thank you for the reply :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you not read the full paragraphs on a thread? LOL, Sorry that wasn't meant nastily its just my sense of humour :) xx

Yes I can see what you mean, but I was interested to see if Postleneo had actually used a dual-wave bolus as he is a pump user.

Reactions: kaylz91