Type 1 Help! Nerve pain

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, if you dont know me I am 18 and have been diabetic 13 years. For the last few years I neglected my diabetes and had frequent high bloods,
I didn't even keep track of them! and I smoked and drank a lot of alcohol, since April I have completely stopped smoking, my bloods are now between 4 and 8 90% of the time, however I have never felt so low in myself, to add to this my legs and feet are now constantly burning/tingling and it hurts when I walk, even the smallest of distances! I'm really scared about this, I'm 18 and feel as though I will now have a life of consistent pain? My arms also go dead easy too, I feel like it's too late now to help myself? does anyone think this could be neuropathy and why it only started when I dramatically tightened my blood glucose control?
I am growing more anxious thinking about it, any help is massively appreciated, thankyou ever so much in advance :(

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Hey all, if you dont know me I am 18 and have been diabetic 13 years. For the last few years I neglected my diabetes and had frequent high bloods,
I didn't even keep track of them! and I smoked and drank a lot of alcohol, since April I have completely stopped smoking, my bloods are now between 4 and 8 90% of the time, however I have never felt so low in myself, to add to this my legs and feet are now constantly burning/tingling and it hurts when I walk, even the smallest of distances! I'm really scared about this, I'm 18 and feel as though I will now have a life of consistent pain? My arms also go dead easy too, I feel like it's too late now to help myself? does anyone think this could be neuropathy and why it only started when I dramatically tightened my blood glucose control?
I am growing more anxious thinking about it, any help is massively appreciated, thankyou ever so much in advance :(

Sounds like Neuropathy to me. I have it and it can be caused by high blood sugar. Really sucks and I would get to a doctor and have it diagnosed. They can give you meds for the burning and pain but I would get in and get it looked at.

I think it should stop spreading in you keep your blood sugar under control.

Reactions: samowen268

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like Neuropathy to me. I have it and it can be caused by high blood sugar. Really sucks and I would get to a doctor and have it diagnosed. They can give you meds for the burning and pain but I would get in and get it looked at.

I think it should stop spreading in you keep your blood sugar under control.

Thanks I really hope so, it's starting to bring me down so much. The pain didn't start until I controlled my blood sugars, I thought there'd be more benefits but this is the worst I've ever felt :(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @samowen268 ,

You got a full thumbs up for controlling your diabetes & stopping the smoking.. :cool:

I empathise with the irony of things starting to give greif the minute you act responsibly to the condition..
(In my case getting slapped with a macula oedema.)
It will take time for stuff to settle.
In the meantime keep in close contact with your HCPs, they can give a more personal 1to1 assessment on what's happening with your issue.

No one can/should prescribe you any medication online..

I wish you well!

wendy0804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too am in the same position. Ambled along with Type 1 quite happily for 30 years, not perfect but no cause for concern at my appointments HBA always good enough until a couple of years ago when DAFNE reared her ugly head. Changing my whole regime to accomodate this new method of control because I was told how old fashioned my ways were, my BG's have never been so bad and I have never felt so unwell. Now got abdominal neuropathy which is debilitating as I am in pain all the time with it. Sometimes wish the health care professionals would just leave well alone - new is not always better.