FARXIGA Function

aljammal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there!
I am DMII patient for over 7 years now. Have been on Glocuphage 1000 twice daily all of the past period. Surprised to learn that my A1C was 10.2 with elevated LDL as well. My Physician prescribed Farxiga 10mg x 1 on may 2017, along with Glocuphage 1000 x 2. My A1C now is 7.7 .
I am a bit worried about how this medicine works, I mean changing the kidney function. What if it damages the kidney after some time?
I also hope to learn if drinking malt beverages like non-alcoholic beer, help the kidney in it's new function or this has nothing to do with that? Also the same question goes for plain water. In other words, drinking less water would harm the kidney in it's new function?

Thanks to all :)

aljammal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also hope to learn if drinking malt beverages like non-alcoholic beer, help the kidney in it's new function or this has nothing to do with that? Also the same question goes for plain water. In other words, drinking less water would harm the kidney in it's new function?

I can't answer the question about malt. However, drinking plenty of plain water flushes out the kidneys, which is always a good idea. As diabetics we are advised to drink plenty of water throughout the day with small quantities at a time rather than a lot all at one go. Too much all at once can put strain on kidneys. I don't have any kidney damage but I do drink about 2 litres a day and that is without strenuous exercise. I include tea in that 2 litres.

aljammal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't answer the question about malt. However, drinking plenty of plain water flushes out the kidneys, which is always a good idea. As diabetics we are advised to drink plenty of water throughout the day with small quantities at a time rather than a lot all at one go. Too much all at once can put strain on kidneys. I don't have any kidney damage but I do drink about 2 litres a day and that is without strenuous exercise. I include tea in that 2 litres.

Thanks for the useful information.. especially the small quantities water drinking part.
I am anxious about the kidny health status, as I learned that DM II causes the fine capillaries of the kidney somehow fragile and vulnerable to rapture. This part cause irreversible damage for the kidney.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Forxiga for over 2 years now with no problems - my DN does keep a close eye on my kidney function (blood teat every 3 months) I eat a relatively low sodium diet (don't add salt to anything) and drink plenty (this also helps prevent UTI's)

aljammal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Forxiga for over 2 years now with no problems - my DN does keep a close eye on my kidney function (blood teat every 3 months) I eat a relatively low sodium diet (don't add salt to anything) and drink plenty (this also helps prevent UTI's)

Thanks Lessci!
So the low sodium diet can help the kidney function? makes sense :happy:... I mean I thought this has relation to high BP. All agree on plenty of liquids so far. :smug: