Blood Glucose Level suddenly dropping

ianoak999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 4 months ago after being borderline for about 8 years, I test my glucose levels with a next contour meter and the last few days I have noticed my average for the previous 7 days started to drop.
It is now 6.1 but yesterday on waking up level was down to 3.5 so had to bring it back up, no problem next test showed it had come up.
But the next test after tea showed it had started to drop again.
I do go for a walk most days but cant walk far due to other medical problems, any suggestions to what I can do and I am on Metformin 500mg 4 times a day.

Ian

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

When you go low do you feel ill at all? Some people are perfectly happy in the 3s.

When healthy people drop low, their liver will kick in and dump some glucose in the blood stream to bring them up naturally. This is what keeps us all alive during the night and times of fasting. Metformin is a drug that helps to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces. If your lows are causing you problems, and if it continues and isn't just a blip, maybe have a word with your nurse/doctor about reducing the dose of Metformin.

Reactions: pavlosn and ziggy_w
D

Deleted Account

Some people are perfectly happy in the 3s.
I understand our brains don't work very well below 2.8. So, whilst we may feel ok in our 3s, it may be a bit close to the risky 2.8.
I know some people, without diabetes, may experience BG in the 3s. But this is not recommended for people taking medication which could reduce BG.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand our brains don't work very well below 2.8. So, whilst we may feel ok in our 3s, it may be a bit close to the risky 2.8.
I know some people, without diabetes, may experience BG in the 3s. But this is not recommended for people taking medication which could reduce BG.

I agree, although I know at least some unmedicated T2s on this forum see a lot of 3s without feeling ill, and hypos don't happen to unmedicated T2s anymore than non-diabetics due to livers kicking in. This is why I suggested the poster thinks about discussing reduced doses with his nurse/doctor as Metformin reduces the liver's output..

ianoak999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Bluetit1802, in answer to your question I dont feel ill but just very sleepy and wife says irratable.

sunil bansall

Hi, My insulin level empty stomach is 40 from last 5 months. My blood sugar level goes down within 3 hour after taking meal. Pancreas testing found no cyst or tumor in the pancreas. PET Scan has also been done for the whole body to locate any other tumor but that is also normal. Please suggest any other test or any other solution to find the cause of high insulin level.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, My insulin level empty stomach is 40 from last 5 months. My blood sugar level goes down within 3 hour after taking meal. Pancreas testing found no cyst or tumor in the pancreas. PET Scan has also been done for the whole body to locate any other tumor but that is also normal. Please suggest any other test or any other solution to find the cause of high insulin level.
Hi @sunil bansall, you've posted on a very old thread. You would probably get more response if you started your own thread with your questions. To do that, go to 'forums', select the forum you want to post in and there should be a button saying 'make new thread'.
If you have problems doing that, simply reply on this thread or send a pm and we'll help you out :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Insulin is produced by the pancreas in response to food, and particularly in response to carbohydrates. The fewer carbs we eat, the lower our insulin levels will be. Eating too many carbs may also be the reason why your blood sugars take 3 hours to come down

Insulin is also produced at other times, not in response to food. It is drip fed into the body more or less 24/7. If a person is insulin resistant, more and more insulin will be produced and this in turn makes the resistance to it worse.

Can you tell us what foods you typically eat in a day, and which medications you take? I assume you are a type 2.