Experiment time. Low carb tomatoless and beanless chili. Ideas?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
itll probably be more like thick soup or stew.
Here are my ingredient thoughts . Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Soup base. Beef broth, chipotle chaloola , siracha and green dragon sauces to make the spicy seasoning. I've tried just the spices and not enough of the right texture. Sauces will be better.
Ground meat. Cauliflower rice, mushrooms ,onions and maybe the bit of kale I have in the freezer. Maybe some chopped asparagus for bulk.
I want it thick like chili rather than soupy so thought the cauli rice and mushrooms might help there.
Lastly. Topped with grated cheese and of course AVOCADO chunks for creaminess.

Thoughts ??

D

Deleted member 308541

I know you do not want beans or tomatoes, but refried beans carbs are 15g per 100g or is that to much for you.

We use a lot of tinned tomatoes as they are low in carbs 7g per 100g.

chipotle chaloola , siracha and green dragon sauces to make the spicy seasoning
Looks like some hot goodness in that brew. :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know you do not want beans or tomatoes, but refried beans carbs are 15g per 100g or is that to much for you.

Tomatoes make me knees achy. Beans. Toot toot. Haha.

So, in the end it doesn't look like saucy chili but it did make my nose run lol. And it has good flavor. It's lacking the bean SAUCE for thickener. The mushrooms gave it the bean texture and the sauce and onions gave it the chili flavor. I could potentially blend the mushrooms and onions for a thickener. That's the next trial.

You may find this hilarious but adding avo chunks after heating did wonders. A little creaminess. Now add a dolup of sour cream and some melted cheese and I believe we have a winner!!

I use those same spicy sauces mixed with mayo for a dip. Add a touch of water or lime juice and a great salad dressing.

I used to be a very creative innovative cook. Never used a recipe. Just got ideas and simplified.
When I did use recipes it was always bland, too much work, too many ingredients. Then I'd remake it my way. Finally my family all told me to 'kristinize ' it and skip the trial recipe. Lol. I can't remember the last time I used a measuring cup or spoon.

Probably when I baked as I figures out that was essential haha.
No garlic?????:wideyed:

Garlic oil on mince and veggies. Good thought. Was a last minute thought as I was looking at the veggies and mince. Couldn't think of any herbs that would have worked

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Have you read about my turkey gravy. Super low carb and amazing. Thanksgiving is coming up!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No sour cream but added a touch of mayo after heating. WINNER
I actually poured it all on so,e lettuce and was amazing. I'm weird. I know haha

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
itll probably be more like thick soup or stew.
Here are my ingredient thoughts . Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Soup base. Beef broth, chipotle chaloola , siracha and green dragon sauces to make the spicy seasoning. I've tried just the spices and not enough of the right texture. Sauces will be better.
Ground meat. Cauliflower rice, mushrooms ,onions and maybe the bit of kale I have in the freezer. Maybe some chopped asparagus for bulk.
I want it thick like chili rather than soupy so thought the cauli rice and mushrooms might help there.
Lastly. Topped with grated cheese and of course AVOCADO chunks for creaminess.

Thoughts ??

Hi. Chia seeds are low carb and great for thickening. Best results next day but thickens in an hour. Cheers. Leeanne

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Garlic oil on mince and veggies. Good thought. Was a last minute thought as I was looking at the veggies and mince. Couldn't think of any herbs that would have worked

The garlic infused oils are nice @Kristin251 but nothing beats freshly chopped garlic. Hope you enjoyed your dish.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The garlic infused oils are nice @Kristin251 but nothing beats freshly chopped garlic. Hope you enjoyed your dish.
Back to my stupid stomach with fresh garlic. The powder is horrendous.

All in all the chili came out well. However too much work and clean up. Next time I'll make my avatar and spicy mayo slathered on. It'll e about the same but much easier. It was fun though.
Oh forgot to mention adding a dolup of mayo ( no sour cream on hand) did wonders!!

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Back to my stupid stomach with fresh garlic. The powder is horrendous.

All in all the chili came out well. However too much work and clean up. Next time I'll make my avatar and spicy mayo slathered on. It'll e about the same but much easier. It was fun though.
Oh forgot to mention adding a dolup of mayo ( no sour cream on hand) did wonders!!

Get your OH (or kids) to clean-up afterwards, the Chef should never do this ;)

Your threads got me thinking about a Chilli Con Carne for Fridays evening meal :)