Low calorie diet to reverse type 2 diabetes

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You need to lower your calories that you eat and they are normally the first part of what is on the food box or wrapping as kcal and that's your calories and the lower the better is what is said but I'm on insulin and it doesn't say anything about that just the diet

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow it only took the local paper 6 years to catch up...
This is the Newcastle Diet there are loads of threads in the low calorie section about it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The news didn't give a rounded picture, though. No mention of bariatric surgery or diet after the eight weeks. They made it sound as though one could cure diabetes in just two weeks.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Newcastle and that you need to keep the weight off as well so it says

I love the way The Daily Express churns out this stuff . . . . . several years after it happened. I suggest that for further and more accurate information, if you're are not familiar with the work of Professor Roy Taylor and Professor Mike Lean, a quick google will get you all the information you require. Hint: It's called The Newcastle Diet for very obvious reasons.

Reactions: dbr10

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You need to lower your calories that you eat and they are normally the first part of what is on the food box or wrapping as kcal and that's your calories and the lower the better is what is said but I'm on insulin and it doesn't say anything about that just the diet

If you are T2DM you can do it even if you take insulin. But do it under the supervision of a doctor or diabetic nurse.

It is also not as simple as reducing your calories, as 800 calories from carbohydrates will be unlikely to work.

I was not able to copy the Newcastle diet to the letter as the shakes and soups used are not available without prescription in the UK. But I am doing it using Heinz soup in place of the shakes. I still have 2 weeks to go but I have not taken any medication since the day before I started the diet and I was taking 9 tablets a day 4 x metformin, 4 x gliclazide and 1 x sitagliptin.
I was being harassed about switching to insulin. I read about the NC diet some time ago and I only wish I had given it a shot a lot earlier than I did. I can not claim it is reversed as my carb intake is minimal at present but it certainly controlled.

I never really thought to question patients with T2DM being put on insulin until recently watching a presentation by J Fung. How does it make sense to treat someone with an insulin intolerance/resistance with more insulin "like treating an alcoholic with alcohol"

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10 and TIANDB

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
How does it make sense to treat someone with an insulin intolerance with more insulin

Only when they are making less insulin than normal. It is only my opinion but most UK GPs would not regularly send a type II for a c-peptide test to see how their pancreas is doing or even an insulin resistance test which I have only recently had last January. I actually had a c-peptide and IR test done privately.

When I first went low carb, with my GP's reluctant consent, I was taking Metformin, Gliclazide and Januvia (Sitagliptin) and the GP was talking about insulin. I gradually threw away the Gliclazide, Januvia and eventually Atorvastatin as well, certainly within 2 weeks of starting. My HbA1c were fine for three years, but just a word of warning. My body played a dirty trick on me, it started to convert something else to glucose and my BG was all over the place.

I straightened things out with a Newcastle approach, VLC, low carb (<40gms a day), low protein, for 6 weeks then a rest, now back at it and I think at some point I will have to get to a compromise. I'm not losing weight at the rate I would expect (BMR is 2300 cals per day + % for exercise, 1800 - nothing, 1500 - nothing, 1200 - nothing, 1000 to 1200 low carb - lost, 600 to 800 a la Newcastle - lost a bit more.

Tannith

BANNED
Apparently a low calorie diet can reverse type 2 diabetes a new study has found in Newcastle and that you need to keep the weight off as well so it says

I am putting my faith in this. I have been doing it for 5 weeks now and am losing weight. I am expecting to have to continue for another 12 weeks to reach the middle number of my "normal" BMI range. This is my target. I so hope it works as every day I seem to read something else about diabetes complications. Today I read it caused increased hip fractures!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow it only took the local paper 6 years to catch up...
This is the Newcastle Diet there are loads of threads in the low calorie section about it.
For some reason he Prof Taylor made a new press release today. In that press release he stated that less than 1gramm of fat removed from the pancreas restores normal function. Not much else new but once again I was surprised he made a reasonably short press statement so close to the conclusion of the study.