CGM/GM Price Comparison

justadad

Hi Justadad, that's precisely what the manufacturers are playing on. Your nervousness. With the exception of the Libre, the other systems require you to calibrate twice a day, so you always have a reference back to how accurate they are. Those of us who use them like this really don't consider it risky (and there are many parents who do so too).

If you are concerned, it's worth joining the T1-CGM group on facebook, where you'll meet loads of others who regularly extend sensors (as I am currently doing with Medtronic ones). Ultimately, the best way to prove it to yourself is to do it, if the thousands that are already doing so isn't enough to convince you.

Thank you, I guess I will learn in due course. Have only joined this new world of T1D just about a week ago! Shock over, I guess, learning is next!

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just found this article after posting this information on another topic. my information is also valid here, so here goes.

I'm surprised that Dexcom is cheaper than the Libre, it's not where I'm from...
Pretty much everything that people said regarding the Dexcom vs Libre is true, but here's a couple of reasons why Libre is better for me that Dexcom.
Background: I've been using Libre now for about 2 months. I used Dexcom for about 10 months.
I moved from Dexcom to Libre primarily due to cost. I live in New Zealand and have to fully self fund. For me, the Dexcom transmitter is $750 and a pack of 4 sensors $530. I could make each sensor last at least 22 days and therefore, 4 sensors would be enough for one transmitter. So, bottom line is, 3 months cost me $1280 for a total of ~$100 per week.
Libre costs for me $97.93 for two weeks for a total of ~$49 per week. Half the price.

Here's my summary of why's and why not's.

Why use Libre:
I like the Libre sensor insertion technique SO much better than the Dexcom.
The Libre sensor is flat compared to the Dexcom Sensor/Transmitter arrangement.

Why not use Libre:
No app currently on iPhone. (Apple currently restricts the use of the NFC - this apparently has been removed in iOS 11, but it hasn't yet reached the end user for Libre)
I have to admit that I've had accuracy issues (but minor) - not enough to swing be back to Dexcom.

Why use Dexcom:
Accuracy is always on point.
Alerts.
Follow me app (for parents)

Why not use Dexom:
The phone app is ****. It's history is limited. It's configurability is terrible.
Alerts - You can't turn off or customize alerts - why would you want to? Because if I have high sugar and correct it, it still takes 2-3 hours to come right all the while the painful alerts! I'd also like to change the damned volume of the alerts!!
When I had it, it wasn't on Android. Is it now? I think it is...
The application of the sensor is terrible.
The size of the sensor and transmitter is very large compared to Libre.
The transmitters are ONLY disposable - why not use rechargeable batteries? LIR2030!!!!! Money / profits, that's why.

I think that just about covers it. If they were the same price and Dexcom fixed their app, I'd probably go for Dexcom. But price is the main factor. Otherwise, Libre for me it is.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@djking I'm not sure you've read the original post correctly. The G4 is cheaper than the Libre. The G5 absolutely isn't if you use it with the official Dexcom apps, and that's reflected in the first post, however, if you use it "off label", i.e. you use xDrip+, you can use a transmitter for five months, so the price starts to approach that of the Libre. There are also many people replacing batteries in the G5 to extend the life of the transmitters even longer.

The main reason, ultimately, for using the Dexcom over the Libre for most of is is that it doesn't require scanning and just transmits data, constantly. But that's the great thing about the Libre. It allows you to collect continuous data using a figerpricking like technique if that's what you prefer.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim200s That's all good. Two reasons I never even considered the G4.
1. Another $1,000 for another receiver for Dexcom - Why would you do it.
2. Really don't want to carry around another device!

But if you did really like a batman type utility belt, Libre's reader, which is also the finger pricker, is only NZ~$100
Don't get me wrong, I think I'd still be using Dexcom if it were not for the cost.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim200s That's all good. Two reasons I never even considered the G4.
1. Another $1,000 for another receiver for Dexcom - Why would you do it.
2. Really don't want to carry around another device!

But if you did really like a batman type utility belt, Libre's reader, which is also the finger pricker, is only NZ~$100
Don't get me wrong, I think I'd still be using Dexcom if it were not for the cost.
Right - but if you use the G5, you don't have to buy a receiver. I don't. I also don't use the Dexcom App, because as you say, it's rubbish. So my devices are my Android Phone and the transmitter. That's all I need.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you use it "off label", i.e. you use xDrip+, you can use a transmitter for five months

Hi Tim, is this just a case of downloading a different app? I always associate xdrip with soldering bits and bobs :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Tim, is this just a case of downloading a different app? I always associate xdrip with soldering bits and bobs :)
As long as you're using the G5, you can use the xDrip+ app and you don't need a box of bits!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a diet controlled Type 2 and I don't need a CGM but I read the thread just out of interest. Apart from the overall high cost, the thing that puzzled me was the fact that the transmitters need to be replaced regularly, why is this? Surely a transmitter is just electronics and doesn't wear out, do they have a limited life battery that you can't change, that sounds like profiteering.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am a diet controlled Type 2 and I don't need a CGM but I read the thread just out of interest. Apart from the overall high cost, the thing that puzzled me was the fact that the transmitters need to be replaced regularly, why is this? Surely a transmitter is just electronics and doesn't wear out, do they have a limited life battery that you can't change, that sounds like profiteering.
Exactly this for the Dexcom devices. The Medtronic ones are rechargeable and last for a couple of years.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mr_Pot , you are correct that the battery in the Dexcom is not rechargeable and this is one of my complaints about the cost of the Dexcom - non-rechargeable batteries in their transmitters. Put rechargeable batteries in and that would half the cost of a Dexcom. Some people do replace the batteries, a once only deal, but the whole procedure looks like a pain in the butt - there's youtube videos on it.

@tim2000s I'm not familiar with the Medtronic CGM but upon a quick search, it appears it's integrated with a pump which wont suit all. Regarding the xDrip+ app: the great news is that it looks like the G5 must be now on Android. The not so great news is that the xDrip+ app is only on Android - bummer for iPhone users. Personally, where I'm at is, when I stared using the G5 a year ago (before moving to Libre), rather than spend $1000 on a receiver, I spent $1000 on an iPhone (I needed a new phone also, two birds). Now I'm using Libre, I am in the same boat as you in the fact that I have to carry two devices which is not so bad if I remember. I often find myself with my phone and not my receiver. It seems I am better at remembering my phone than my receiver - I know what you'll say "get into the habit" and yes, I am trying but it's still a pain. I am eagerly awaiting NFC support on the iPhone for the Libre, that will make this solution for me much better!! The good news is that Libre will still read up to 8 hours if I do leave it behind - does the Dexcom do this? It didn't use to.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s I'm not familiar with the Medtronic CGM but upon a quick search, it appears it's integrated with a pump which wont suit all. Regarding the xDrip+ app: the great news is that it looks like the G5 must be now on Android. The not so great news is that the xDrip+ app is only on Android - bummer for iPhone users.
Not quite. The Guardian Connect system is linked to the iPhone and doesn't require a pump. @donnellysdogs on here uses it.

xDrip+ is only on Android. For iOS there's an app called iOSxDripReader or something similar which has the same functionality.

does the Dexcom do this? It didn't use to.
Dexcom updated their transmitters in late 2016, and now they all record 8 hours of data and forward to the official app when there's a connection. Not sure where the open source apps are with using that yet though.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite. The Guardian Connect system is linked to the iPhone and doesn't require a pump. @donnellysdogs on here uses it.
There you go, you learn something new every day. It's still quite expensive in my country though at $100 per week at the advertised life length. If we can push the sensor from 6 days out to 12, then it's looking more economical. Do you know how likely that is?

xDrip+ is only on Android. For iOS there's an app called iOSxDripReader or something similar which has the same functionality.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately the application is not available on iTunes and must be signed for your device - looks like a painful process but probably neither here nor there for me as I don't have any plans to go back to Dexcom at this stage. If other iPhone users want it though, here's the page: https://github.com/JohanDegraeve/iosxdripreader

Dexcom updated their transmitters in late 2016, and now they all record 8 hours of data and forward to the official app when there's a connection. Not sure where the open source apps are with using that yet though.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There you go, you learn something new every day. It's still quite expensive in my country though at $100 per week at the advertised life length. If we can push the sensor from 6 days out to 12, then it's looking more economical. Do you know how likely that is?
When I've used Enlites with the 640G, I've had no trouble extending them. I understand that the Guardian Connect uses the same sensor management process, so there's no reason why they wouldn't be extendable. My average extension with Enlites was 10 days though, rather than 12.

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody have any further news on the Medtrum CGM, I had an email from them some months ago and they mentioned this Autumn will be on sale in the UK, Their demo website is stating a CGM for £18.99 which works out cheaper than a Freestyle Libre.

Many thanks.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Has anybody have any further news on the Medtrum CGM, I had an email from them some months ago and they mentioned this Autumn will be on sale in the UK, Their demo website is stating a CGM for £18.99 which works out cheaper than a Freestyle Libre.

Many thanks.
No, and I wouldn't trust those prices. I think it's a marketing "fish". They talked about being around £160 for the transmitter and £40 for the sensor when they first appeared on the market.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Medtrum saying the S6 Disposable CGM system is now available for offline order via email. Presumably the price is the one they quoted me earlier in the year - £180 for 4 sensors & a transmitter.
I emailed back with some queries specifically asking whether sensors could be restarted. I had no reply even after a second email.

I was on the verge of trying them once my current Dexcom transmitter dies, but it doesn't inspire confidence if they don't reply to emails.

Last edited: