Type 1 Ketones, a perfect storm

lely

Hi All just having a moan.
Yesterday at around 4pm I changed my inset. BG was. 9.3. Went out for a meal with hubby it was our 12 year anniversary. As we sat to eat I tested 16.5 so corrected and bolused for my meal. Wasn't too concerned as I'd drank half bottle of wine and the food I ordered was mainly meat (Turkish grill place). Boy was I wrong. By the time we got home around 12 and a bit tipsy I fell into bed and woke to pee at 1am test BG 27.
Cannula was never in properly so switched it, corrected and went back to sleep for 4 hours. Should have stayed awake been trying to bring BG down ever since. Last check 30 mins ago 18.5. +200 bolus and corrections on each hourly check and ketone checked last check 2.4.
No food, just insulin and water for me today.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All just having a moan.
Yesterday at around 4pm I changed my inset. BG was. 9.3. Went out for a meal with hubby it was our 12 year anniversary. As we sat to eat I tested 16.5 so corrected and bolused for my meal. Wasn't too concerned as I'd drank half bottle of wine and the food I ordered was mainly meat (Turkish grill place). Boy was I wrong. By the time we got home around 12 and a bit tipsy I fell into bed and woke to pee at 1am test BG 27.
Cannula was never in properly so switched it, corrected and went back to sleep for 4 hours. Should have stayed awake been trying to bring BG down ever since. Last check 30 mins ago 18.5. +200 bolus and corrections on each hourly check and ketone checked last check 2.4.
No food, just insulin and water for me today.
Hello @lely.

Sorry to hear about your issues! How are your BG's and ketones now? Are you following a set of "sick day rules" for correcting your high BG and ridding yourself of ketones?

Hope you're feeling okay.

johnny37

sounds familiar to me. I regularly have episodes like this. Dont know why. BGs usually come down next day. Lst HBA1c was 55. I dont check for ketones.

Reactions: lely

lely

Ok that went bad so quickly, ended up in a&e bm down know to 10.6 and I have saliva in my mouth so it definitely correcting.
Not been like this since diagnosis in 2007, but knew this is were I needed to be.
I had just passed over the threshold to DKA so was good timing too. Don't understand all the technical jargon for DKA but apparently it was 15.2 and the threshold is 15.

lely

sounds familiar to me. I regularly have episodes like this. Dont know why. BGs usually come down next day. Lst HBA1c was 55. I dont check for ketones.
Really. Sounds horrible to go though this often. It really make you feel rubbish. My last a1c was 65 and was on track to be around 60 next blood test should have been this Wednesday. A bit devastated this will have probably undone that.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok that went bad so quickly, ended up in a&e bm down know to 10.6 and I have saliva in my mouth so it definitely correcting.
Not been like this since diagnosis in 2007, but knew this is were I needed to be.
I had just passed over the threshold to DKA so was good timing too. Don't understand all the technical jargon for DKA but apparently it was 15.2 and the threshold is 15.
Poor you @lely; at least your BG's are now heading in the right direction.