My partner is diabetic

beam

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
My partner was recently diagnosed diabetic with BG well in the 20s. Through diet he has got this down to anything from 7 early morning to 14 spike after a main meal . Because he drives constantly he came off the metaforin as he couldn't work it made him ill but he has accepted he will need to take it long term. He has an appointment with an endocrinologist soon . Tbh we are not sure if it is type 1 or 2 .
He is a bit complicated as he has high cholesterol and high iron ( this is under investigation) .

He has been eating a very low carb diet since diagnosis but I worry that the bacon and eggs and beef will negatively affect his cholesterol.

I have been looking for a good recipe book for diabetes to change up his diet a bit . Any recommendations?

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Try the online Dietdoctor, great recipes there. There is a subsection for recipes here on this forum, too. Good luck.

Hassan7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My partner was recently diagnosed diabetic with BG well in the 20s. Through diet he has got this down to anything from 7 early morning to 14 spike after a main meal . Because he drives constantly he came off the metaforin as he couldn't work it made him ill but he has accepted he will need to take it long term. He has an appointment with an endocrinologist soon . Tbh we are not sure if it is type 1 or 2 .
He is a bit complicated as he has high cholesterol and high iron ( this is under investigation) .

He has been eating a very low carb diet since diagnosis but I worry that the bacon and eggs and beef will negatively affect his cholesterol.

I have been looking for a good recipe book for diabetes to change up his diet a bit . Any recommendations?

Please let him read this :
https://www.facebook.com/alhassan.sherbiny/posts/10155429490100797
No cholesterol worries whatsoever. The link will lead him to a guide for everything. It's amazing.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the suggestion of Diet Doctor and also the recipes sub forum here.

The main thing that works for me is just "real food". Avoiding processed foods as much as possible and including plenty of non starchy vegetables helps me a lot. Adding natural fats, like butter, cream, sour cream, cheese etc, greatly helps with the palatability (to my taste) of these non starchy vegetables, as well as making them "filling", so that really is a key to making it work for me.

I've replaced most of the starches like rice and pasta in my diet with more non starchy vegetables to maintain the "bulk" in my food, and this has been hugely effective in controlling my diabetes. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry to hear about your husband but he is doing absolutely the right thing by following a low carb diet.

I wouldn't bother with recipe books - they usually have a weird idea of what constitutes low carb. Like the others have said, Diet Doctor is good or have a google around the internet for some great low carb ideas. Some good websites are (in no particular order):

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes
https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

... but there are loads of other ones. I print off the recipes I am interested in and keep a binder of them in the kitchen for when I need inspiration. :)

beam

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much for this . He is not one for forums etc so I might be posting occasionally .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome aboard,

Please don't worry about eating fats as long as his carbs are low. In most people cholesterol drops on a low/higher fat diet. Mine improved a lot, and I eat a lot of dairy, bacon, and tons of eggs. Ask him to find out what the breakdown of his cholesterol results were. The total cholesterol is meaningless without this. It is just a total of the good and the bad, so he needs to know what his balance is. The figures most important are the HDL and the triglycerides. The HDL is the good stuff and needs to be as high as possible. The trigs are the baddies and need to be very low. However, if his test was not a fasting one, his cholesterol results will be a bit skewed as the lipids will all be swimming about in the bloodstream doing their job after eating.

beam

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Bluetit thank you . His results were fasting . His HDL was .96 and his LDL 5.36 . Cholesterol was 7.7 and trig 5.67 . Glucose was 18.7 . The HbA1c was 123 ( mmol/mol)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit thank you . His results were fasting . His HDL was .96 and his LDL 5.36 . Cholesterol was 7.7 and trig 5.67 . Glucose was 18.7 . The HbA1c was 123 ( mmol/mol)

OK not so good then. The general advice on diet for improving cholesterol lipids is low carbs, plenty of omega 3 from oily fish (salmon is best), seeds such as flax and chia, olives and olive oil, cold pressed rapeseed oil, avocado, even a small glass of red wine in the evening. He could wait till his next lot of tests and see what improvement there has been.

beam

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Thanks again Bluetit . I don't fully understand it all but am making some headway .